Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] coach builders conversions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 PM
surfman
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coach builders conversions?

Hello there, I'm a new member of the forum and have never posted before. Like others I've encountered, I have wondered before why no high performance convertible model is offered by Corvette. I recently ran accross a web site called coachbuildersltd.com (sorry, I'd post the link if I knew how), that specializes in the installation of a custom retractable (powered) convertible hard-top. I talked to the proprietor over the phone, who seems very knowledgable about it, and he said that most of the Corvettes that they have previously done have been Z06's (mostly of the C5 version).

They've not tackled and of the C6 Z06's yet, but expect to be doing the first ones in the next several months. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with this guy, Larry Moran, or his product. They do have a web site set up with some photos if anyone is interested. While several posters here have remarked on the inevitable compromise in structural rigidity that this would entail, they add some structural support to the frame, and it was explained to me that would tend to obviate the difference. I'm sure it would add some to the weight of the vehicle and may shave something off top-end speed.

Again, if anyone is familiar with this particular vendor, I'd be interested to hear about it. Please, no one feel the need to comment on warrany issues or post the picture of the dead horse. And it's already been shown quite clearly that the aluminum frame is a bit weaker than steel, I don't wish to quibble with anyone who feels on principle that a conversion should never be attempted.

I've learned a lot on the forum and thank everyone in advance.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 11-04-2005, 04:57 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out page 2 of the FAQ, post #29.

and Welcome!
Old 11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never ceases to amaze me that people want to chop the top off of a z06....what a bunch of knuckleheads!!!.....

buy a vert and send it out to a tuner for some performance mods.....not that the jokers who do this need any more power or will ever use it!!...

the z06 is a high performance track car that is street legal.....how many verts do you see doing serious track work?....or pushing the limits?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:34 PM
C54CSTER
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lotus Elise is a little closer to being called a "high performance track car that is street legal". The Noble M12 also comes to mind. The new Z06 is not in that category. I see no reason to call other guys "knuckleheads" for wanting to cruise with the top down when not on the track.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:35 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by C54CSTER
The Lotus Elise is a little closer to being called a "high performance track car that is street legal". The Noble M12 also comes to mind. The new Z06 is not in that category. I see no reason to call other guys "knuckleheads" for wanting to cruise with the top down when not on the track.
and not the best way to welcome a new member.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:16 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my remark was rude and out of line. please accept my apology, keith.

Get notified of new replies

To coach builders conversions?

Quick Reply: [Z06] coach builders conversions?