Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could start from scratch again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default If you could start from scratch again?

Would you go the route many of us have... that being buy a nice Corvette then slowly mod away the street manners, chip up the paint, and make the interior creak/rattle more all while trying to have a car that'll do both

OR

Would you buy a pre-built T1 car or a beat on '99 FRC and mod it up so you can sling it around w/o worrying about damaging your "nice" car?

Personally I've been itching for a white FRC on the cheap as a track only car w red Sparcos inside. However I'd take a killing on my car and I love my car b/c it looks so I'm not ready to chop it up and make it a pure track rat.

If I had gotten a cheap FRC for high $teens then I could also afford a nice truck and trailer vs. the $35,000 Z06 that I'm still paying a bit for and I wouldn't worry about smacking some tires every now and then.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my second Z06 !!!

There's a LOT to be said for that GM WARRANTY !!!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

If I could start all over again?.....I'd paly golf all the time instead of this stupid car stuff! Hell, I might event take up tennis again and tear my knees up! Anything is better than this addiction that is an endless money pit and we're never, ever satisfied with status quo!

Screw it, where's that Tire Rack number, I need some new tires, I think I can cut a half second off my time at VIR!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

id go with a t1 over a frc...then there is no need to do anything to the car....I think you would miss the small added performance benefit of the ls6 and would have to put in a cam etc just to get to the z06 performance. I still owe money on my car but plan to make it a dedicated track car eventually...I would just like to drive something other then the truck to work everyday and I cant afford to pay for the z, the truck, and a 3rd car + go to events!!! I need a raise or to hit the lotto
Old 10-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

actually, to add, I would like to have a c6 vert for street use the z for track use
Old 10-27-2005, 07:54 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
Hell, I might event take up tennis again
i just can't imagine you playing tennis...btw, how would you play tennis with a walker?!?!?

if i did all this over, i'd definitely buy a used race car...hell, i know of a used WC touring car bmw 325 for sale for less than i have in my race car...
Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could start all over again?.....I'd paly golf all the time instead of this stupid car stuff! Hell, I might event take up tennis again and tear my knees up! Anything is better than this addiction that is an endless money pit and we're never, ever satisfied with status quo!

Screw it, where's that Tire Rack number, I need some new tires, I think I can cut a half second off my time at VIR!

I could go on safari in Africa for what I am into car stuff in the past year.

I would buy a track dedicated car premade. I am spending all my time prepping, fixing or modding track cars now! Or my wife suggested I do fewer events I think it has to do with the driveway paved with spent rotors, a garage full of new and used tires with no end in sight and new spare parts showing up daily via UPS. I am less than 24 hours out and I am still sorting out the "best" car to take to CMP - heck my wife even offered up the new GTO....
Old 10-27-2005, 08:00 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trumper Z06
I'm on my second Z06 !!!

There's a LOT to be said for that GM WARRANTY !!!
Be carefull the warranty is void if car is used in racing or other competition.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:07 PM
MAC95 6SPD
Racer

I started with a 95 six speed, took it to autoX and track time. Sold it after a year to go wheel to wheel racing. Autocross and track time are one thing but it doesn't match the thrill of wheel 2 wheel in my book. I dont have the cash to own two corvettes but I would never sell my race car for a street car. So my vote would be T1 given those choices but there are cheaper ways to go corvette racing. Buy a prepared C4 and get a truck, open trailer to go to the track with.

MAC
Old 10-27-2005, 08:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My car was a lease to keep me to the Zo6 came out. Then I modded it slowly and kept it It's paid for but for some reason it keeps costing more money. Cheaper to buy LGM used WC race car if I added it all up and it would be faster. Still not done I could dump another $40,000 into it if I had my fantasy list filled. Totally insane and not worth squat when done to most. Can't take it with me
Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Hmm... my dad just called to tell me if he wins powerball he's buying a new Z06 and we can send mine up to Phoenix to get converted.

I told him f that... just get a pair of Saleen S7's He wants something he could "wrench on" himself.

Eh... honestly this car will probably become a track rat eventually and I'll buy my mom's '99 C5 vert mn6 off her down the road for my street car. It only has 35,000 on it and eventually she'll get tired of driving stick... maybe
Old 10-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmwhite
i just can't imagine you playing tennis...btw, how would you play tennis with a walker?!?!?
I'll put a turbo'd Briggs & Stratton engine on the walker, along with a cup holder for my Miller Lite, and play in the US Open.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:33 PM
trumper Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by frank dupuy
Be carefull the warranty is void if car is used in racing or other competition.
Well I'm on my SECOND Z06 ( over 85,000 miles )....

and haven't had a Warranty claim denied, yet !!!

It helps to take the service manager to Road Atlanta !!!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:34 PM
dmwhite
Racer

I'll put a turbo'd Briggs & Stratton engine on the walker, along with a cup holder for my Miller Lite, and play in the US Open.

Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 PM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by MAC95 6SPD
Autocross and track time are one thing but it doesn't match the thrill of wheel 2 wheel in my book.

its not even close...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

I would find and el-chepo 99 FRC, then put a 6.0L crate motor in it (or 5.7L if you are required by rules). Maybe even build a custom motor if it's just DE's. The LS1 cars actually have a better trans for most tracks, as the spread is better. Tracks with really long straights (ie use 5th) need the Z06 trans, but those are pretty rare.

There are some good deals on T1 cars out there, but you never know what you're getting. No offense to Phoenix or anyone else, but seldom do you buy a car "as raced" from a competitive team
Old 10-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I dont know if you could handle that, jody You could just have your pit babes carry you around on their backs

Get notified of new replies

To If you could start from scratch again?

Old 10-27-2005, 09:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Oyishdog
I dont know if you could handle that, jody You could just have your pit babes carry you around on their backs

These are the newest recruits for the Big Pine Key Motorsports Pit Babe Cheerleading team. They were pretty good at tryouts. One of them ate a whole hot dog without chewing it.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:39 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I've posted about this dilemma many times. My next vette will probably be a vert because I'm just not going to take an expensive car that's not paid for on the track again. I will have a truck, cheap trailer, and some type of spec racer or track dog.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

I've gone down the heavily modified, track car/daily driver route before...as a result, my Z06 is 100% stock, well except the shocks

As a result, I only use the Corvette for autocross. Which is kind of a bummer, because the only track time I'm getting right now is when I'm offered a ride...at least until I finish my Tiger. I think the best solution is to have a track or race car which is within your "comfort" zone and choose a daily driver you like driving, err, daily

Of course, I may just be getting old and lazy...

Quick Reply: If you could start from scratch again?