Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 01:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

Default Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors

so I'm all set to run my 05' at the track this weekend, and I come across a thread in the C6 Tech section. They say that if I run my track wheel (with no pressure sensors), the car will think I have a flat an either shut the car down, OR make extreme efforts to restrict my speed.

According to that thread also, if the TC is shut off, it will come back on.

The shop manual for 05 only mentions the warning lights, but does not tell me about actual performance restrictions.

I have LS2 edit on the way, and hopefully I can tune out any Torque Management (or disable the warning all together).

Anybody here (people I trust for track stuff) have any definitive info.

Dave
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

make sure to disable the on star too!
Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

David the early '05s did not have that problem. Not sure what VIN was the change.

Try putting some track wheels on and drive down the road and back.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Z51_6SPD
Heel & Toe

Dave, I'm not one of your "trusted authorities" but here is what I know. Another autocrosser in our club bought a new C6 earlier in the year and has been autocrossing it without problems. He recently bought a second set of wheels (without pressure sensors)for a second set of aotucross tires. He was then unable to select"Competitive Driving" mode. The dash read out noted a flat tire with a caution to limit speed to 55mph. The computer did indeed limit his speed and handling characteristics. After consulting with our sponsor dealer they called GM Tech assistance for advice. GM said the computer requires input from all 4 pressure sensors in order to make "Competitive Driving" mode available. Without the 4 satisfactory pressure inputs the computer limits vehicle speed and enters a "safe" operating program until the (unsafe tire pressure) problem is repaired. GM also said there was no way to trick the system. Their suggestion was for him to install the 4 missing pressure sensors.
Tis all I know about this. I Hope it's useful.

Dale
North Florida Corvette Association
Old 10-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Kschwamy
Drifting

Dave we had a brand new C6 Z06 come to the track this weekend and he broke the value stem and in replacing it the sensor was not replaced properly and the car believed it had a flat tire all the time and would compensate for that. He thought about the problem all night and duct taped the sensor to the rim and the car ran fine on Sunday and turned in some very impressive times.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:55 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

David,
Yes this is very BIG problem with C6 and C6 ZO6. Haven't crossed this street yet , but I have been working on it. Myself and a certain gentleman who builds race wheels are thinking about putting all four sensors in a can that is sealed and pressurizing the can , then toss can in vehicle.
Or you could just install these sensors in track wheels, albeit expensive and needed "special" training equipment for new sensors.
I'm not looking forward to this crap on my new Z06 when I decide to buy.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

the whole point of my running the track wheels was to protect my stock wheels and tires. Even dismantling to get to the sensors risks damaging the wheels.

My 05' is a very early car, and I'll hope for the best. Tires just came in today, so I'll try and get them on the car tomorrow.

Dave
Old 10-25-2005, 03:36 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
David,
Yes this is very BIG problem with C6 and C6 ZO6. Haven't crossed this street yet , but I have been working on it. Myself and a certain gentleman who builds race wheels are thinking about putting all four sensors in a can that is sealed and pressurizing the can , then toss can in vehicle.
Or you could just install these sensors in track wheels, albeit expensive and needed "special" training equipment for new sensors.
I'm not looking forward to this crap on my new Z06 when I decide to buy.
Wheel needs to be machined for the sensor ... not just a drop in issue.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl
Wheel needs to be machined for the sensor ... not just a drop in issue.
I guess that would depend on if his track wheels were stock wheels or
not. If I remember correctly , you've been through this. What did you do ???? Is putting all of the sensors in a pressurized box inside the vehicle and viable option ?????
Old 10-25-2005, 06:32 PM
no spin
Instructor

We had two C6's at Roebling last weekend, mine and a friend of mine. On the trip over one of his sensors quit on him. He was not able to enter Comp mode with the failed sensor. His vin was in the 1300's.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

guess my C5 just went up in value
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Frankly, they all seem to behave differently.

Mine is a December build. If I drive 50 or so miles and the car can't see the pressure sensors it will turn on TC and keep your speed down. I can, however, still turn TC/AH off. Rex used to be able to do the same with his early C6 but he can't with his new one.

An additional note, I bring the stock rims/tires with me and the car is never the wiser. I don;t know the specifics on how/when it checks when the wheels with the sensors aren't in motion but I can say for sure that the car "sees" them.

Another interesting tidbit, with C5 Z06 rears and 285/35/18 Hoosier S04s and the stock C6 rims in front with 245/35/18 Hoosiers on it the car didn't balk at this setup if I left TC/AH on. With C5 Z06 rims and 305/30/18 GAC slicks all the way around the car almost immediately gets upset and turns on the TC. Strange beast.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm bringing a square setup, 280 slicks all around. That's the best set of cheapos I could come up with quickly. I likely won't bring the stockers, as I'll be packed to the brim with 2 cars, a mule (kawasaki) and tools. If it works, I'll drive it, if not, I'll park it. Mine is an early car (Aug 04 production), so I've got my fingers crossed.

btw, LS2 edit can't write it out, as it is a BCM system, not PCM. However, I'm hoping maybe I can tweek the torque management if push comes to shove.

I wonder what would happen if I disconnect a wheel speed sensor? On a C5, this would shut down the entire TC and ABS system. I hate to lose ABS, but that's better than being artificially held back.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:00 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Wow-August 04 is *early*. I think you should be good to go (I'm guessing you drive with TC/AH off-I don't think I even tried comp mode)
Old 10-25-2005, 09:46 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

the guy bought the car in September, so I'm guess August. Anyway, the car looks better than new, and I saved a good amount of money. I also liked the 05' as I can tune the engine myself, and their are lots of parts coming online. Supposedly, the 06' models have even more complex computer systems.

Honestly, so far, I do hate the electric door crap, and havn't figured out the memory seats/radio yet!
Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

My way of dealing with this would be to buy an extra set of sensors and have them band mounted within the track wheels. You'll have to do the relearn each time you swap the wheels, but that won't take long once you've done it a few times. Its unfortunate that GM's software does what it does. Sometimes I think GM is trying to be "too smart".

- Mark
Old 10-26-2005, 07:37 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
Sometimes I think GM is trying to be "too smart".

- Mark

They are trying to protect themselves from sleazy product liability lawyers in any way they can.

Get notified of new replies

To Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors

Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Mark VerMurlen
My way of dealing with this would be to buy an extra set of sensors and have them band mounted within the track wheels. You'll have to do the relearn each time you swap the wheels, but that won't take long once you've done it a few times. Its unfortunate that GM's software does what it does. Sometimes I think GM is trying to be "too smart".

- Mark
Unfortunately you can't train the C6 sensors with a magnet like you could with a C5, you have to have the RF tool (as far as I know)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

From what I'm reading in this thread, without the sensors the car won't go into Competition Mode. Can you still turn everything (AH/TC) off without the sensors?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
johninar
Drifting

As was mentioned above, just carrying sensors would not do it. They would have to be pressurized or the computer would still report flat tires. Somehow the computer needs to be able to shut this feature off. I see a lot of unhappy campers with this problem.

Quick Reply: Tracking a C6-no pressure sensors