Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] This car is a beast! (my thoughts after 10 days)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 08:44 PM
505hp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default This car is a beast! (my thoughts after 10 days)

Now that I have had my car for 10 days here are my thoughts:

- The car is sooo fasst its scary

- I had a 05 Z51 and this car is so much racier - its what you think a C7 would be (faster, better handleing etc)

- It has exceeded my grandest expectations. You feel like you are driving a true race car.

- I am pleasantly surprised at all the attention I have gotten from people - I didnt think that many peopel would know the difference between a Z and stock C6

- The engine is pure magic with fuse out

Here are some things I would like to see (these are just my personal preferences so please dont flame me)

- A Targa or convertible would be the BOMB

- An Automatic would be my preference as I live in big city and am in traffic a lot (DONT FLAME ME FOR THIS!)

- I wish it had memory recall seating as I was surprised that this is only available on automatic Vettes (why?)

- Lumbar support is really needed for a car like this

I also find the clutch a little slippery with leather soles (DONT FLAME ME AGAIN )
Old 10-21-2005, 08:47 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

added to FAQ
Old 10-21-2005, 08:48 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2LZ package IS supposed to have driver memory seats with 2 settings . Good review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion . I wouldn't worry about flamers.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

It does have memory seats you have to hit the button at entry.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
505hp
Instructor

2LZ has memory seats but not seat recall. In my 05 automatic when I entered the car - the seat would automaticlaly go back to my pre-set seating position. In the 6 speed you have to push the 1 or 2 button on the door.

Strange. I looked up in owners manual and it clearly said that this feature was only in Automatics. Not a big deal but was nice to shut my door and have seat go back to my driving position automatically.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:05 PM
zuluracerx
Advanced

Be careful. Don't get me wrong, I raise serious hell in all sorts of ways...but a word to the wise. I almost lost the BEAST shifting into 2nd on a deadend street. It got sideways and I am convinced the only thing that saved my *** was the Active Handling. I'm the type of guy that has always laughed at this high tech gizmo stuff (no, I am not a Viper convert). Do not, I repeat DO NOT be lulled to sleep thinking you have this car down in the power department. It will bite. That being said, it is bitch'n, ain't it?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:27 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 10-21-2005, 09:31 PM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 505hp
2LZ has memory seats but not seat recall. In my 05 automatic when I entered the car - the seat would automaticlaly go back to my pre-set seating position. In the 6 speed you have to push the 1 or 2 button on the door.

Strange. I looked up in owners manual and it clearly said that this feature was only in Automatics. Not a big deal but was nice to shut my door and have seat go back to my driving position automatically.

Yeah, I miss it too! But, I am getting used to hitting the button after closing the door.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to hit the button in my 6sp 05. Needless to say i got the 1LZ. No biggie for me so far. I agree with the comment about scary fast. This thing isnt messing around. I thought the clutch pedal was a little slippery too but if i really needed grip i would use different shoes so no biggie there either.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:58 PM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Now that the weather is cooling off, (low 40's tonight) the tires have much lower grip and anything agressive with the throttle and the tires are breaking free. (102 miles since delivery this afternoon)
Old 10-21-2005, 11:30 PM
BRIAN60x
Racer

Originally Posted by zuluracerx
Be careful. Don't get me wrong, I raise serious hell in all sorts of ways...but a word to the wise. I almost lost the BEAST shifting into 2nd on a deadend street. It got sideways and I am convinced the only thing that saved my *** was the Active Handling. I'm the type of guy that has always laughed at this high tech gizmo stuff (no, I am not a Viper convert). Do not, I repeat DO NOT be lulled to sleep thinking you have this car down in the power department. It will bite. That being said, it is bitch'n, ain't it?
I have noticed that if you short shift 1st gear(maybe at 35 mph) and stomp on it during the shift or shortly there after, you had better be holding on with both hands because it will get really sideways. I'm sure this is because there is less speed to help allow you to hook up, but I have made this mistake a couple times. I guess because I was trying to be less aggresive in 1st gear to save the tires or trying to be less reckless, but this approach will not work believe me.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:48 PM
505hp
Instructor

Im glad Im not the only one who thinks this is a BEAST! Like I said its scary fast! I agree you really need to be careful as its not the same as stompin the gas on a normal C6. This thing FLIES!!! and if not careful will take off!

I never thought I would drive a car that was too fast - and now there is rumor of an even fatser car - I may need to go get a helmet for that one!
Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 AM
treynor
Pro

Im glad Im not the only one who thinks this is a BEAST! Like I said its scary fast! I agree you really need to be careful as its not the same as stompin the gas on a normal C6. This thing FLIES!!! and if not careful will take off!
A humble suggestion - take a few high-performance driving classes at your local track (preferably in someone else's race cars ). You will learn more than you'd believe possible about throttle control, traction, weight transfer, handling, threshold braking... you name it. I'm no pro racer, but I've got a few thousand miles of track time and to me the Z feels -- just about perfect, a bit quicker than strictly necessary for a street car but by no means scary fast. It's easy to control, you can drift the rear end under power and reel it right back in, and the traction control kicks in subtly but effectively when you start getting a little crazy. I think Chevy did a great job with the power and balance of this vehicle.

You want to feel scary fast? Swing a leg over a Yamaha YZF-R1 or a Kawasaki ZX-10R and pin the throttle
Old 10-22-2005, 02:16 AM
505hp
Instructor

I was actually thinking about taking a few days at a driving school in Vegas - any suggestions? Anything in CA good also?
Old 10-22-2005, 02:18 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

I have the easy out option in my 2003 Z06 and it's not all it's cracked up to be. The seat doesn't go all the way as far as it should, when I open the door. So I shut it off and just use the memory option #1 for when I shut down and #2 for when I'm in. For me that works.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:37 AM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

Originally Posted by Shylor
..... just use the memory option #1 for when I shut down and #2 for when I'm in. For me that works.
Good plan, but for me I would get crushed to death against the steering wheel. The wife has memory #2.....
Old 10-22-2005, 02:40 AM
Z06Vettefan
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Randy:

Quick review of the car if you wouldn't mind.

Get notified of new replies

To This car is a beast! (my thoughts after 10 days)

Old 10-22-2005, 02:52 AM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

It's simply awesome. It's everything that everyone has said. Pictures don't do it justice. The thrill of driving one has to be experienced. It takes off like a rocket, handles like its on rails, and rides pretty decent. I love the exhaust note with the fuse out. I'd like a shorter throw shifter that isn't quite as notchy. I miss the side bolster adjustment that I had in my C5's (non-Z06 cars). The window indexing is totally cool and the best little addition GM has adopted lately. I'm still getting used to not having an ignition key. I forgot how much work a black car is! Yellow was so much easier...
Old 10-22-2005, 03:08 AM
Z06Vettefan
Racer

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by RandyVettes
It's simply awesome. It's everything that everyone has said. Pictures don't do it justice. The thrill of driving one has to be experienced. It takes off like a rocket, handles like its on rails, and rides pretty decent. I love the exhaust note with the fuse out. I'd like a shorter throw shifter that isn't quite as notchy. I miss the side bolster adjustment that I had in my C5's (non-Z06 cars). The window indexing is totally cool and the best little addition GM has adopted lately. I'm still getting used to not having an ignition key. I forgot how much work a black car is! Yellow was so much easier...
Thanks, Randy. Can't wait until mine (Black) gets here.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:52 AM
DT
Le Mans Master

What the heck is that?

Originally Posted by RandyVettes
The window indexing is totally cool and the best little addition GM has adopted lately.

Quick Reply: [Z06] This car is a beast! (my thoughts after 10 days)