Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 Pistons....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
c5_from_jc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z06 Pistons....

The weak link????? WHY???
Old 10-19-2005, 11:47 AM
JDogg
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by c5_from_jc
What?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM doesn't wish to us to go with the juice or S/C's.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:52 AM
DJWorm
Instructor

Because they are cast rather than forged. Not really a weak link on a street driven car but you may need to upgrade them for competition, or forced induction and/or NOS.

It seems silly they would be cast rather than forged in an engine that has such things as a forged Crank, and forged & heat treated Titanium Rods. However, my understanding, was that these were used instead of forged to save some weight and to eliminate cold start piston slap.

A good upgrade might be forged slugs with coated Titanium wrist pins (as used in NASCAR) to keep the weight down.

I wonder if the Performance Build Center would allow you to substitute those in during the build process. NOT!

It will be interesting to see IF the Blue Devil is ever produced with the rumored SC engine if they use forged pistons then.

Last edited by DJWorm; 10-19-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:47 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by c5_from_jc

$$$$$$$$$$$$ they build it to their spec not a tuner spec for SC and the like.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

The pistons are made in Germany by Mahle, and are supposed to be up to the task or they wouldn't be there. Casting allows better geometry than a forged set can offer.

(paraphrased from a DH response)
Old 10-19-2005, 11:49 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Cast pistons are quiet. Forged tend to suffer piston slap on cold start which is noisy. Judging from those bitching about noisy transmissions, they made the right choice.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 PM
AmericanPie
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Forged slugs would be better from a strictly performance standpoint, but Mahle has been making cast pistons for BMWs for many years and I've never heard of failures. Maybe Chevy's saving forged ones as an upgrade in a couple of years, when it goes up to 550(?) HP
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Cast pistons have better thermal control because they can have steel inserts and other thermal expansion control devices. For those that want NOx, oh well, that is your problem. If I was chief engineer on this motor program, I would never consider NOx a design requirement. This is not a drag race car, never will be, so who cares about how well it holds up with the automotive equivalant of steroids.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:37 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Cast pistons have better thermal control because they can have steel inserts and other thermal expansion control devices. For those that want NOx, oh well, that is your problem. If I was chief engineer on this motor program, I would never consider NOx a design requirement. This is not a drag race car, never will be, so who cares about how well it holds up with the automotive equivalant of steroids.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:32 AM
X_03_Cobra_guy
Racer

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Old 10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DJWorm
Because they are cast rather than forged. Not really a weak link on a street driven car but you may need to upgrade them for competition, or forced induction and/or NOS.

It seems silly they would be cast rather than forged in an engine that has such things as a forged Crank, and forged & heat treated Titanium Rods. However, my understanding, was that these were used instead of forged to save some weight and to eliminate cold start piston slap.

A good upgrade might be forged slugs with coated Titanium wrist pins (as used in NASCAR) to keep the weight down.

I wonder if the Performance Build Center would allow you to substitute those in during the build process. NOT!

It will be interesting to see IF the Blue Devil is ever produced with the rumored SC engine if they use forged pistons then.
The Eutectic cast pistons are stronger than the former hypereutectic types (less silicon) and have been hard anodized ring lands. The bottom side of the piston crowns have tiny stalactites type protrusions that help cool the crown bottom by oil cooling.

All really neat stuff, if you stick with street use as DJ has stated. Once you go with forced induction, forged 2618T6 Pistons are the ONLY way to go. They'll take 40 PSI boost no problem.

Jim

Last edited by Halltech; 10-21-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Pistons....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 Pistons....