Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 3 issues with my new Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 07:41 PM
SRX
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 issues with my new Z06

1. The hatch does not auto close like my '05 did - is this normal? On mY Z I have to slam it shut

2. The hatch cargo carpet has a big gap and not properly installed where carpet meets bump behind rear seats

3. The 1st gear noise is a little annoying - sounds like the car is broken.

Nothing irritaes me more than noticing things that should be caught at the factory.

I have pics of #2 but I dont know how to post pics
Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SRX
1. The hatch does not auto close like my '05 did - is this normal? On mY Z I have to slam it shut

2. The hatch cargo carpet has a big gap and not properly installed where carpet meets bump behind rear seats

Nothing irritaes me more than noticing things that should be caught at the factory.

I offer $60K for your car, since it is used and obviously not screwed together right.

It is a Chevy, and that is why the MSRP and under is a highly likely scenario in less than 12 months from now!

The Z06 does not have the power pull-down feature of the coupe.

Last edited by petefias; 10-16-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
drmotorhead
Instructor

I have read that first gear is noisier than normal or z51 C6.
Carpet must weigh at least 2 pounds, remove it. Good first step to sub 3000 lb curb weight.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:58 PM
E55er
Instructor

sounds just like mine. i likey though.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Av8ter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SRX

send me the pics,,,i will host it.

av8ter@aol.com
Old 10-16-2005, 09:45 PM
vegasdude
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SRX

The hatch is NOT auto shut, they wanted to save weight!!
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SRX

I used to be able to hear the noisy tranny in my 90 Z, but now I couldn't hear it if I wanted to, over the boom of the exhaust! That noise says you have a really strong transmission capable of holding up to the torment of that big *** 7L V-8. Does that make you feel better?

If not - buy a caddy!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:27 PM
greenshirt77
Drifting

Originally Posted by SRX

3 issues with people that have issues.

1. The issues are usually really minor and not a big deal.
2. Not knowing the difference between an serious "issue" and a whiny "complaint".
3. They often can't post there own pics of said "issues".

Just having some fun with you.
Seriously, the 1st gear tranny noise is easily cured by more acceleration. Quick babying it and give it some juice. It's not broken, it's telling you that it wants to GO.
I'm not even going to waste time commenting on the hatch and carpet "issues".
Old 10-16-2005, 11:58 PM
BRIAN60x
Racer

Originally Posted by SRX

I discovered the same thing with the hatch issue. I later noticed that the windows dont open and shut to allow air to escape when closing the hatch like they do when closing a door. If a door is open or a window is open slightly the hatch will close with very little effort and definately without slamming it.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:19 AM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIAN60x
I discovered the same thing with the hatch issue. I later noticed that the windows dont open and shut to allow air to escape when closing the hatch like they do when closing a door. If a door is open or a window is open slightly the hatch will close with very little effort and definately without slamming it.
For those of you with 06z's who did not have the privilege of owning a C5 coupe, you do not slam the hatch, you push it down with constant pressure until it latches. Works every time. Use a hanky between your hand and the hatch if you worry about fingerprints on your car.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:34 AM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

To the GM apologists : Gee, he only spent $70K on the car and expects it to be well assembled and of good quality. Go ahead, slam the guy for his attention to detail. He'll then get pi$$ed off at the whole Vette experience and not buy another. Or worse yet, tell his equally well-off friends not to buy one. Interestingly, none of you apologists seems to own a C6 Z. No wonder you think it's funny/silly, because that is not your money in play. Maybe you should be good GM supporters and fork over YOUR $70K to the CAUSE, before you slam those who have for noticing details. Especially since every Z06 buyer is essentially subsidizing GM's aluminum chassis program, which us regular cheapo Vette dudes will have the benefit of, down the line. So go ahead, laugh it up dummies...

SRX, take it to the dealer and get it fixed, if you don;t like it. They owe you that much.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

The door glass does not roll down when closing the door so air can escape. It rolls down so the glass will be properly positioned against the retainers in order to give you good glass seal up into high triple digit speeds.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:15 AM
sly1
Le Mans Master

Received 530 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
To the GM apologists : Gee, he only spent $70K on the car and expects it to be well assembled and of good quality. Go ahead, slam the guy for his attention to detail. He'll then get pi$$ed off at the whole Vette experience and not buy another. Or worse yet, tell his equally well-off friends not to buy one. Interestingly, none of you apologists seems to own a C6 Z. No wonder you think it's funny/silly, because that is not your money in play. Maybe you should be good GM supporters and fork over YOUR $70K to the CAUSE, before you slam those who have for noticing details. Especially since every Z06 buyer is essentially subsidizing GM's aluminum chassis program, which us regular cheapo Vette dudes will have the benefit of, down the line. So go ahead, laugh it up dummies...

SRX, take it to the dealer and get it fixed, if you don;t like it. They owe you that much.

I think you better reread greenshirt's post before ranting. Also, I paid over $90K for my 996 C4S and I had several quality issues. The $70K price for admission buys you world class performance, and not necessarily world class quality. As a matter of fact I don't know of any ultra high performance cars that are problem free. If you want a problem free car you can buy a Camry for $25K.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:20 AM
vette6799
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sly1
I think you better reread greenshirt's post before ranting. Also, I paid over $90K for my 996 C4S and I had several quality issues. The $70K price for admission buys you world class performance, and not necessarily world class quality. As a matter of fact I don't know of any ultra high performance cars that are problem free. If you want a problem free car you can buy a Camry for $25K.
And that is exactly what the buying public has figured out. If you want problem free cars, don't buy GM. The result is GM's continual loss of market share. Tranny noise goes with the territory, but having had a C5 Z, it always made me wonder why you had to break your fingernails trying to open the rear hatch.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799
And that is exactly what the buying public has figured out. If you want problem free cars, don't buy GM. The result is GM's continual loss of market share. Tranny noise goes with the territory, but having had a C5 Z, it always made me wonder why you had to break your fingernails trying to open the rear hatch.
That's because you didn't have this neat DIY fix:

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 07:31 AM
steve burns
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You think you have problems now...

Originally Posted by SRX

Meet Mr. Goodwrench!!
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 AM
vermjpv
Now a CTS-V Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
That's because you didn't have this neat DIY fix:

Tom
Very

Get notified of new replies

To 3 issues with my new Z06

Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
BlaznZ06
Race Director

Received 755 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by vette6799

Thats a load of "CRAP".

I bought my wife a 2005 CLK 500 Benz. She's had more problems with it than I had with my C6. Carpet was one of them. And, we paid close to $17k more for that car.

Do you think the service dept. was good? Guess again it was crap and is crap everytime we have to take it in.

The service writer had the nerve to tell my wife when she took the car in for a front end alignment "The reason your car pulls to the right is so that if you fall asleep or become distracted the car will go towards the shoulder and not it oncoming traffic".

Every car manufacturer is dealing with quality issues.

We as Americans are becoming Soft and Complainers reactionary by whining.

All of the mentioned issues are simple fixes not something to cry about.

Last edited by dr.david; 10-17-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
BRIAN60x
Racer

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
The door glass does not roll down when closing the door so air can escape. It rolls down so the glass will be properly positioned against the retainers in order to give you good glass seal up into high triple digit speeds.
why do all the high end passenger cars (lexus cadillac, mercedes etc,,,) do the same thing? I thought it was to allow the door to close easier. It probably serves dual purposes.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:20 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,156 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

why do all the high end passenger cars (lexus cadillac, mercedes etc,,,) do the same thing? I thought it was to allow the door to close easier. It probably serves dual purposes.
Hill has very specifically stated that the reason the C6 does it is to help seal the car better.

jas

Quick Reply: [Z06] 3 issues with my new Z06