Sponsored by:

Flush tailights DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 11:14 PM
laketullochvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flush tailights DIY

[IMG]81200907[/IMG] Hi All,hope I'm not I have seen this posted before but here it is again with just a little spin:parts can be purchased at Home Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware (for those in Cali.)
1)8ea. 1/2" X 1/2" round poly spacers w/ .194 hole.
2)6ea. 1/4" X 1/2" round poly spacers w/ .194 hole.
3)8ea. #8 X 2" panhead sms screws.
4)1 pckge 5/16" X 3/8" auto/marine closed cell foam gasket w/ sticky on one side.
5) Black sharpie pen.

step 1) remove screws from tail lights and carefully let them hang out of the opening by the wire harnesses.
step 2)using the sharpie color the heads of the #8 screws black with the sharpie pen,push the tip into the philips slots to cover the screw with color completely.
step 3)install the foam gasketing onto the tailight housings where the lense meets the black housing sticking the gasket to the black housing portion.
step 4)on the two inboard taillights install the screws through the holes on the housings and slide 1ea 1/2" spacer and 1ea 1/4" spacer over the screws and slide the tailights back into the openings and tighten the screws.
step 5)on the two outboard tailights repeat step 4 except on the outer most tailight screw only install a 1/2" spacer and then tighten screws.

the differance in this installation from others I have seen posted is that the others used 1" spacers,which I tried,but the top of the taillights stuckout a little on the top and I didn't think they looked OEM as I feel they look using the process I described,any quetions don't hesitate to email me nastytheng69@yahoo.com.

tried to post pics but with my kodak digital cam and program they would not condense small enough to post,if someone can help with that I will send them the pics so the finished product can be seen.

this is an easy mod and changes the look of the backend quite a bit.

John R. Couture

here are some pics with the blackout tailights installed and flushed

Last edited by laketullochvette; 11-27-2005 at 04:11 PM. Reason: posting pics
Old 10-07-2005, 09:55 AM
Ebbsnflows
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've managed to locate all of the parts EXCEPT those damned spacers. I've gone to 2 different Home D's and 2 different Lowe's and all 4 are completely out of the .194 dia spacers. I'm totally dead in the water without them. (and I refuse to pay the outrageous price for the "kits" from the various vendors)
Old 10-07-2005, 10:00 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Thanks for the write-up
Old 10-07-2005, 10:01 AM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows
I've managed to locate all of the parts EXCEPT those damned spacers. I've gone to 2 different Home D's and 2 different Lowe's and all 4 are completely out of the .194 dia spacers. I'm totally dead in the water without them. (and I refuse to pay the outrageous price for the "kits" from the various vendors)
Yea, those small parts inventories at HD are always a mess. I had to fish around in there for about 20 minutes to finally find a combination of spacer sizes I could use to build up to the right lengths. But it worked out fine. A great and easy mod!

Old 10-07-2005, 10:36 AM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by laketullochvette
step 3)install the foam gasketing onto the tailight housings where the lense meets the black housing sticking the gasket to the black housing portion.
This is where I get messed up. I tried to stick the gasket as you said but it either wasn't sticky enough or there is not enough flat area to stick it too as it kept coming off when I tried to fit it into the opening. Then it got all distorted and looked like c**p. I would really like to see a pic of exactly where the gasket is supposed to fit.

I agree that the 1 inch spacers may be a bit too long. Unless you tilt the top of the lights back more than they are in the stock fitting. But I bet that would mess up the light pattern for folks following you. Hmmm. Maybe I can cut off the bushings I have and give it another try...
Old 10-07-2005, 11:01 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows

Thats because everyone here gobbled them all up.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Ebbsnflows
Instructor

Originally Posted by screw991le
Thats because everyone here gobbled them all up.
I figured it was either the guys here or the guys on Ebay selling the "kits" for ridiculous markups.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:41 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wait'll Home Depot finds out about the Corvette tax, then they'll have plenty.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
corvettego
Intermediate

I had a problem locating the parts also, so I just bought it here and saved myself some time and aggravation:

no ebay links to stuff sold by vendors

It works for me.

Last edited by Grumpy; 10-07-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:27 PM
terlox
Racer

Hi All,hope I'm not I have seen this posted before but here it is again with just a little spin:parts can be purchased at Home Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware (for those in Cali.)
4)1 pckge 5/16" X 3/8" auto/marine closed cell foam gasket w/ sticky on one side.
5) Black sharpie pen.

step 1) remove screws from tail lights and carefully let them hang out of the opening by the wire harnesses.
step 2)using the sharpie color the heads of the #8 screws black with the sharpie pen,push the tip into the philips slots to cover the screw with color completely.
step 4)on the two inboard taillights install the screws through the holes on the housings and slide 1ea 1/2" spacer and 1ea 1/4" spacer over the screws and slide the tailights back into the openings and tighten the screws.
step 5)on the two outboard tailights repeat step 4 except on the outer most tailight screw only install a 1/2" spacer and then tighten screws.

the differance in this installation from others I have seen posted is that the others used 1" spacers,which I tried,but the top of the taillights stuckout a little on the top and I didn't think they looked OEM as I feel they look using the process I described,any quetions don't hesitate to email me nastytheng69@yahoo.com.

tried to post pics but with my kodak digital cam and program they would not condense small enough to post,if someone can help with that I will send them the pics so the finished product can be seen.

this is an easy mod and changes the look of the backend quite a bit.

John R. Couture
Go ahead and email the pics you'd like posted, I can host them for you.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:28 PM
Ebbsnflows
Instructor

Originally Posted by corvettego
I had a problem locating the parts also, so I just bought it here and saved myself some time and aggravation:

Ebay Taillight Kit

It works for me.
Yep, thats exactly what I'm trying to avoid. $28 for a "kit" that can be bought at HD/Lowes for $7.00 (plus I've already got the screws and the weather stripping) Yes, it's "only" $21...but thats a 300% markup. F' that.
Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the helpful write up. This is a nice option. Most all C5 owners hate the dirt that collects on the tail light shelfs.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:24 AM
laketullochvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigJoe
This is where I get messed up. I tried to stick the gasket as you said but it either wasn't sticky enough or there is not enough flat area to stick it too as it kept coming off when I tried to fit it into the opening. Then it got all distorted and looked like c**p. I would really like to see a pic of exactly where the gasket is supposed to fit.

I agree that the 1 inch spacers may be a bit too long. Unless you tilt the top of the lights back more than they are in the stock fitting. But I bet that would mess up the light pattern for folks following you. Hmmm. Maybe I can cut off the bushings I have and give it another try...
Hi Big Joe,install the gasket on the black part of the housing that is somewhat flat just up against the lip where the red lense meets the black housing,on the top (about 4") and the bottom (about 6") then I actually applied a second layer of gasket on the bottom,slid it into place and pushed it flat against the back mount and tightened the screws,I will post pics tomorrow.Sorry for not being clearer.

Last edited by laketullochvette; 10-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 02:46 PM
TriniJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

parts can be purchased at Home Depot or Orchard Supply Hardware (for those in Cali.)
5) Black sharpie pen.
I can't find the poly spacers @ HD. What dept are the spacers in, hardware, plumbing, electrical??? SMS scews? maybe a stupid questions, is this Sheet Metal Screws? Thanks for the reply.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:58 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniJoe
I can't find the poly spacers @ HD. What dept are the spacers in, hardware, plumbing, electrical??? SMS scews? maybe a stupid questions, is this Sheet Metal Screws? Thanks for the reply.
In my HD they were in a big rack of drawers that also had screws, bolts etc. They are not hanging out in plan view.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:05 PM
landl
Racer

Location: Portland, Oregon . To err is human, to forgive is NOT company policy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. i'm on my way to HD.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:24 PM
JJWVETTE
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Did mine today,used 1'' and 1\2'' nylon spacers and #8x2'' long black sheet metal screws.
I used 1/2 '' wide weather strip and cut them to fit on the bottom of where the tail light sits in the housing,not on the top,also used 1'' screws on the outboard tail lights (2) screws only.
Will post some pics tomorow

Just posted them in My Photos waiting for the Ok from forum

Last edited by JJWVETTE; 10-09-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Flush tailights DIY

Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will say flush mounted lights look cool...but are NOT worth the price that they're selling for.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good information.. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:07 PM
laketullochvette
Instructor

pics are on the way

Quick Reply: Flush tailights DIY