C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

gas guage trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 01:46 PM
mikea
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas guage trouble

The gas guage has quit working on my 65 roadster. It is stuck at the 1/4 position. How do I find out if it is my guage, the tank sending unit or something else? I checked the wires and they all appear to be connected.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Turn the key on and stick your arm in the tank and move the float arm up and down. Does the guage move? This is best done with half a tank of gas or less. Ranther crude but it works well.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Geek's 65
Burning Brakes

Quicker way is to disconnect the tan wire from the sender and ground it. Turn the key on. The gauge should peg on full. If it does, the gauge is most likely OK and you can start looking at the sender.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:03 AM
swissie
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mikea
The gas guage has quit working on my 65 roadster. It is stuck at the 1/4 position. How do I find out if it is my guage, the tank sending unit or something else? I checked the wires and they all appear to be connected.
Had the same issue and spent lots of time checking everything out.
Just should have made sure that the contacts at the sender are really good. Cleaned them properly and with the additional help of some WD40 it was fine again

Get notified of new replies

To gas guage trouble

Quick Reply: gas guage trouble