Sponsored by:

[Z06] Attn:Brake Squealers model '02-'04

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 09:55 PM
hiyield
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn:Brake Squealers model '02-'04

Ok-so I'm getting pretty fed up of sounding like a garbage truck when I come to a stop. The dust is ridiculous and the noise is embarrassing.Read the Service Bulletin on the supposed fix for "large customer dissatisfier" of putting on the convertible or targa brake pads as a fix-but this "will NOT provide the same level of performance".
I'm not interested in those that fixed it on their own with ceramics--trying to get GM to recall if enough people have the problem but since this isn't a potential injury situation-the going is tough.
Had a brake problem on my Acura MDX that they tried to say was normal-sure enough plenty of folks complained and they did a recall. I would like to know if anyone has a handle on how many in the community are affected and how many complained to GM to get some type of fix..if so, what were your results?? Many thanks.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:04 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, it's the nature of the beast. Performance pads dust and make noise. It happens with all performance cars and I don't know how you can hold GM responsible for this. It's like complaining that you're not getting 50,000 miles out of your Goodyear F1SC tires. Performance tires don't last long. No way around it.

Ceramic pads aren't that bad. You really don't need performance pads unless you're going to do repeated heavy braking anyway. Maybe a little less initial bite, but if you had to get on the binders, I doubt that it would stop any shorter with the stock pads over the ceramic pads.

I would suggest putting a set of ceramics on your car if the dust and noise is that big of an issue with you.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:11 PM
hiyield
Instructor

not sure how you can just accept this. this is my 3rd frc and never had this problem on the other 2. the fact that GM acknowledges the issue means that there is one. i can easily accept some brake dust but the squeal is irritating.experienced too many times when manufacturers tried to get me to accept a subpar fix--
Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hiyield
not sure how you can just accept this. this is my 3rd frc and never had this problem on the other 2. the fact that GM acknowledges the issue means that there is one. i can easily accept some brake dust but the squeal is irritating.experienced too many times when manufacturers tried to get me to accept a subpar fix--
You talk about three FRC's, but how many of them were Z06's? I'm almost positive that the FRC's had the same brake pads that the Coupe and Convertible had. They're not as high performance as the Z06 pads.

If you want dust and noise, you should see what some of the racing pads do. Some of them create dust that you virtually have to chisel off your wheels. Noise? You don't know what noise is. That's why racing pads are lousy for street cars. It's hard to balance that line of performance and civility.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Pad material was changed in 02. That might explain the difference. If you are not tracking car, why do you care about what pads GM wants to substititue.

Everyone wants pads that will stop all day long from 150 MPH going into Canada corner at RA, don't dust, don't squeal, don't wear out and don't eat rotors, but no one has invented the material yet.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Dude... you're ridiculous... you need to educate yourself. You bought a factory built track car. Try driving my car around with the race pads in it... it squeels and dusts and sticks to the paint. ALL performance pads are noise until hot and they dust more. It's simply a function of the pad material and the price you pay for better stopping.

There's nothing wrong with your car and GM doesn't need to "fix" it for you. Like the bulletin said you can get vert/coupe pads or go buy some ceramics.

Stop being a whiney bitch.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Just for your own information, edification, and and education.
Do two consecutive 150 mph to 30 mph "full max stops" in a row.
See if the second one "squeals".

Then clean off all the dust, polish up your wheels, and install ceramics.
You will be happy.

Edit: the reason for "quitting" at 30 mph is so not to flat-spot your tires.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Retired GM Engr
Do two consecutive 150 mph to 30 mph "full max stops" in a row.
See if the second one "squeals".
I took care of a vibration in one of my track rotors that way. Must've burned it right out of the rotor.

I didn't even think about that. Get out and use the brakes hard. It might take care of the squeal.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Maybe I'm living right or something, but I autocross and from time to time track my '04, and I've never had squealing brakes. Dust is moderate, at worst.

Hope you find a fix for your brake problems, though.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2005, 12:19 PM
why_ask_why
Racer

wow, mine squeaks like crazy...was going to maybe replace the pads on friday thinking they were close to done...guess that's not the case!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by why_ask_why
wow, mine squeaks like crazy...was going to maybe replace the pads on friday thinking they were close to done...guess that's not the case!
You have to look at them. Noise can also be a sign that the pads are worn out.

Seriously guys. If you're not going to track your car, I would definitely look at replacing your stock pads with ceramic pads. No noise and practically dust free. I run ceramics on the street and then change over to race pads for the track. The best of both worlds if you don't mind changing pads.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
why_ask_why
Racer

Originally Posted by xsiveone
You have to look at them. Noise can also be a sign that the pads are worn out.

Seriously guys. If you're not going to track your car, I would definitely look at replacing your stock pads with ceramic pads. No noise and practically dust free. I run ceramics on the street and then change over to race pads for the track. The best of both worlds if you don't mind changing pads.
my plan is to go to ceramic when I change...to be safe I guess I'll still take a look at them...thanks!
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get reduce the amount of sqeeking by filing (or grinding) the leading edge of the pad at a 45 degree angle - so I have heard. I was going to do this, but decided I didn't care that much.

I found an alternative that works well. Go into the turn hot, brake hard, then accelerate. There will be no squeeking, you get a big grin, and the sidewalk crowd gets an 8 cylinder symphony - everyone wins
Old 10-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by kmagvette
\
I found an alternative that works well. Go into the turn hot, brake hard, then accelerate. There will be no squeeking, you get a big grin, and the sidewalk crowd gets an 8 cylinder symphony - everyone wins
I love that alternative.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:30 PM
hiyield
Instructor

Wow Cobra--this whiny bitch is telling you to take your broomstick out of you know where. I think it's pretty pathetic that only you great racing enthusiasts think that only you can truly appreciate this great car and the rest of us are posers. As you don't know how I drive my cars-I think that was pretty arrogant. My complaint is that I already have accepted plenty about these cars--broken regulators, intrustment clusters, batteries getting fried and a list of many things car after car-so you think maybe I really like the car??? The brake issue bothers me because I have had a number of close calls where my '01 Z06 saved my butt a few times with the braking--I also don't like to mess with a stock car because I believe that the engineers built it a certain way for maximum performance-IMO So I'm asking for a brake pad that doesn't squeal at every stop. My '01 worked perfectly -the change in '02 did it and GM is aware of it. Maybe you can accept it--I'll just go on my whiny way.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:49 PM
98Pace6sp
Instructor

Not to throw fuel on the fire, but my father in law has two Porsches. Yes, I still like the guy. A '04 Turbo, and an '04 GT2. Both have the factory upgraded brakes; you know the bright yellow ones. They both squeek like you can't beleive - until really really hot. Fast cars with great brakes squeek. Those of us who know the facts just accept it.

When I put on my Wilwood H pads for track day, you'd think I was driving a '60's VW with all the squeeking. Isn't a Porsche just like a VW? Couldn't resist dad....
Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hiyield
My complaint is that I already have accepted plenty about these cars--broken regulators, intrustment clusters, batteries getting fried and a list of many things car after car-so you think maybe I really like the car??? The brake issue bothers me because I have had a number of close calls where my '01 Z06 saved my butt a few times with the braking--I also don't like to mess with a stock car because I believe that the engineers built it a certain way for maximum performance-IMO So I'm asking for a brake pad that doesn't squeal at every stop. My '01 worked perfectly -the change in '02 did it and GM is aware of it. Maybe you can accept it--I'll just go on my whiny way.
Performance pads dusting and squeaking is a lot different than parts failing.

Maybe the pads for the 2001 Z06's were the same as the Coupe and Convertible. Does anyone know?

Get notified of new replies

To Attn:Brake Squealers model '02-'04

Old 10-04-2005, 08:46 PM
DisturbedZoSikZ
Advanced

Why not just put on pads from an 01 and solve the problem?? Just my 2 pennies
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DisturbedZoSikZ
Why not just put on pads from an 01 and solve the problem?? Just my 2 pennies
I thought about that too, but where is he going to get pads from an '01? That's why I asked if the '01 pads were the same that come on the Coupe and Convertible. If GM changed the pads in '02, the same part number probably supercedes the original part number. Unless.. Someone with an '01 took off a practically new set of pads for ceramics or track pads and have them sitting around in a box somewhere. You could try puting out a WTB on the FS/FT forum. Just a thought.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

The '01 pads are less agressive than the '02+, but more agressive than the coupe/vert.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Attn:Brake Squealers model '02-'04