Sponsored by:

[Z06] Broke rear end case on run flats

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 01:30 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke rear end case on run flats

I tried this on the C6 board without any response so here we go here. After 8 passes on the run flats no less the rear end housing broke on my C6 z51 6speed.
Was just wondering how many here have broken a case on stock dot rubber.
It broke on the 1st to 2nd shift and there was slight wheel hop but not violent. The 60' on the pass that it broke was a 1.95.
I guess my question is do you think it was a defective case or are the transaxles that much different, more fragile than the C5?
Old 09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run as hard as a 1.50 60ft and not broken mine. Luck of the draw. I guess the c5 and c6 have the same rear ends? Anyone, a friend of mine snapped his with little effort and barely launched. Its just unpredictable sometimes. I have heard of numerous people doing this. I figure it will happen to everyone who drag races their cars. Anyway, I'm not sure I would consider launching on DR or slicks a fault of the car, but on stock run flat tires you should be expect to shift hard and maintain a warranty.
Don't mention you were at the dragstrip obviously.

IMO, you have a ligitimate case of warranty replacement. If I read your comment right, you didn't even break the shaft, but the housing!!! Don't know I've seen that happen before. Either way, shifting fast and hard is not abuse but what the car was meant for.

Last edited by 427CPE; 09-25-2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:18 PM
zippin zee
Racer

Originally Posted by 427CPE
I have run as hard as a 1.50 60ft and not broken mine. Luck of the draw. I guess the c5 and c6 have the same rear ends? Anyone, a friend of mine snapped his with little effort and barely launched. Its just unpredictable sometimes. I have heard of numerous people doing this. I figure it will happen to everyone who drag races their cars. Anyway, I'm not sure I would consider launching on DR or slicks a fault of the car, but on stock run flat tires you should be expect to shift hard and maintain a warranty.
Don't mention you were at the dragstrip obviously.

IMO, you have a ligitimate case of warranty replacement. If I read your comment right, you didn't even break the shaft, but the housing!!! Don't know I've seen that happen before. Either way, shifting fast and hard is not abuse but what the car was meant for.
The car will still move but it lost all the lube. It actually finished the pass a 8.25 at 87 mph. Mph was a little down and the differental was whining a little on the return road or I would not have even known anything was wrong.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zippin zee
The car will still move but it lost all the lube. It actually finished the pass a 8.25 at 87 mph. Mph was a little down and the differental was whining a little on the return road or I would not have even known anything was wrong.
Also, if you did any programming you might want to go back to stock before you take it in.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:15 PM
AustinL911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A completely stock C6 popped his rear end here in Columbus, at National Trails no less. I don't know why it happened. He had stock everything.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:29 PM
zippin zee
Racer

I believe there my have been a run of bad cases.

Get notified of new replies

To Broke rear end case on run flats

Quick Reply: [Z06] Broke rear end case on run flats