C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Roadster Carpet Installation --Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
jfy39
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 66 Roadster Carpet Installation --Help

I am finishing a complete restoration on my 66 convertable and cannot find how to cut, glue and fit the carpet. The cut for the seat mounting is confusing. Is it a slit from one end of the seat bracket to the other or is there something else on the ends where the mounts are? Also, there must be some order to what pieces go in first in the back.

I called Al Knock for help and he said he would call me back in 5 minutes. It has been 24 hours and I have about given up!!

Any help will be appreciated. Any pictures would also be a big help.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
cj2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed a conv. top and complete carpets from Al Knock. The video that I purchased to install the top was excellent. The only problem was it didn't talk much about rebuilding the bows.
During the installation of both I had a few questions for Al K. I would call and get someone who couldn't answer my questions and told me someone would call back. THEY NEVER DID! This happened at least 3 times.
There product is great, but there service is the worst I've dealt with within the automotive world.
The only thing I can say about the carpet is to take pictures of the removal of the old stuff.
Sorry to vent, but I think people should know about POOR SERVICE.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by jfy39
I am finishing a complete restoration on my 66 convertable and cannot find how to cut, glue and fit the carpet. The cut for the seat mounting is confusing. Is it a slit from one end of the seat bracket to the other or is there something else on the ends where the mounts are? Also, there must be some order to what pieces go in first in the back.

I called Al Knock for help and he said he would call me back in 5 minutes. It has been 24 hours and I have about given up!!

Any help will be appreciated. Any pictures would also be a big help.
I know NOTHING about 66's, but I can say that I know that different midyears used a different "slice" in the carpeting in the areas where the seats mount. Some are slit into a flap, which then covers the seat mount bolts and runner. Some are cut with small flaps.

Hopefully someone with a 66 NCRS JG will chime in and tell you what's "correct" for your 66. Don't cut till you find out. Chuck
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jfy39
The cut for the seat mounting is confusing. Is it a slit from one end of the seat bracket to the other or is there something else on the ends where the mounts are?
There is no "slit from on end of the seat bracket to the other."

Carpets use a cutout flap which allows the seat runner to bolt directly to the floor panel with the carpet covering the runner and bolt from view. This flap is used at the forward seat anchor location only. The carpet is cut in a manner so that the hinge of the flap is toward the middle of the seat and hinges to close from inside to outside (i.e., the hinged portion is inboard of the seat rails). The flap should be approx. 2"x2".

Here is the order of installation which I use:

1. Panel behind seats. (place a 1"x4" board on the front side and a 1"x2" board on the backside and clamp in place . This will hold the top radius in place until adheshive dries).

2. Rear quarters. (the top portion usually needs to be trimmed to fit).

3. Storage compartment floor and rear wall. (you may need to trim a little carpet off the bottom at the differantial bumpout so the jack compartment cover will fit properly

4. Front foot wells.

5. Front kick panels & jack compartment cover.

Dave
Old 09-23-2005, 12:06 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Good advice on this. My Knoch carpet kit is in my garage and slated for this winter project. I'm going to get a polariod or digicam and photo each step, great idea.

Somebody out there has a carpet video, I think - one of the vendors, not sure who - Is it Corvette Central?

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Roadster Carpet Installation --Help

Quick Reply: 66 Roadster Carpet Installation --Help