C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another serious "Non Recall" problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 03:45 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Another serious "Non Recall" problem

Some might have seen threads about the C6 roof breaking loose from the frame that attaches to the windshield and "halo." Seemed like a big pain in the butt when mine delaminated, bulged and leaked water and air. I took it to the dealer, and was told they have never seen a one piece delaminate since they were introduced in 84. They were cool, ordered a new top and liner, since the liner is ruined when it's talen off the original top. When I went back for the replacement after it was painted, the service advisor said another C6 came in, and it had lost the entire top shell at highway speed. Said he didn't know if it caused an accident, but it clearly made an impression on him. A top check will be part of every C6 visit to that dealership. So keep an eye on the rear rubber weatherstripping, and if it looks like it's out of alignment or not even with the top, check it out.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Fritz Hier
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I will check it out.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

It was reported here on the Forum that it was a supplier problem. No adhesive was applied when the top was placed in the frame. Hopefully, GM will issue a VIN range for the defective tops.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:19 PM
crazyeddie
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

My VIN is 15215 and it's been in the shop for 21 days, waiting on a fuel pump and replacement top. Tuesday is my visitation day and maybe I will be able to report something positive. The dealer has the top but I need to find out if they have the head liner as I've read that they are back ordered. I caught my top just as it was beginning to buckle up in the rear on a real hot day. I do remember that the rear latch got very easy to latch before I noticed the buckle. When new it was super tight and now it is super loose. We shall see, think I'll also call the Chevy Customer Assistance robot to give them an update. I'm sure they are just waiting for my call. I've got 52000 reasons to be dissappointed. I'm currently playing phone tag with a lemon law lawyer, again, we shall see--e
Old 09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Guitarstar
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. Here in Vegas my car has been parked in 110 degree direct sun & no buckling, I hope it never happens.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I took some pictures 6 months ago, of the front gasket of my top, note the driver's side....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...cat/500/page/1

Should I be worried? It hasn't changed in 6 months.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Check 6
Burning Brakes

Our local dealer, ValMark Chevy, replaced mine with no problem several weeks ago. It was the second '05 they had done. Can't remember my VIN but the car was delivered at the NCM in mid feb. ValMark's body shop did an outstanding job and so far the new top looks great and the fit is actually better than the original.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Hoonose
I took some pictures 6 months ago, of the front gasket of my top, note the driver's side....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...cat/500/page/1

Should I be worried? It hasn't changed in 6 months.
Can't view your pics. Were they deleted?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by It'sHerVette!
Can't view your pics. Were they deleted?
So weird!
They were there just a few minutes ago.
Maybe a temporary glitch.
Maybe we'll check it later....
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Low12s
Team Owner

Location: Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the Rain.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

the molding on the drivers back part of the roof seal has a "bump" in the molding for about 3 inches. Is this what you are talking about?
Old 09-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Low12s
the molding on the drivers back part of the roof seal has a "bump" in the molding for about 3 inches. Is this what you are talking about?
Yeh. It's like it's folded wrong or something. It doesn't leak, but I do get some creaking noises. I might do another silicone job on it. One day I'll bring it in, 'cause also the DSOM of the top doesn't quite match the rest of the car. (it's a known problem with DSOM)
Old 09-12-2005, 07:13 PM
WFO
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose
Yeh. It's like it's folded wrong or something. It doesn't leak, but I do get some creaking noises. I might do another silicone job on it. One day I'll bring it in, 'cause also the DSOM of the top doesn't quite match the rest of the car. (it's a known problem with DSOM)
What's DSOM?
Old 09-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by crazyeddie
My VIN is 15215 and it's been in the shop for 21 days, waiting on a fuel pump and replacement top. Tuesday is my visitation day and maybe I will be able to report something positive. The dealer has the top but I need to find out if they have the head liner as I've read that they are back ordered. I caught my top just as it was beginning to buckle up in the rear on a real hot day. I do remember that the rear latch got very easy to latch before I noticed the buckle. When new it was super tight and now it is super loose. We shall see, think I'll also call the Chevy Customer Assistance robot to give them an update. I'm sure they are just waiting for my call. I've got 52000 reasons to be dissappointed. I'm currently playing phone tag with a lemon law lawyer, again, we shall see--e

Thanks for the heads up. I have vin # 15780. I'll have to check mine
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by WFO
What's DSOM?
Paint color: Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic
Old 09-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Flatbush_Harry

My build date was week of 6/15/05...does anyone know if the problem has persisted for builds that late? I've only had the painted top on twice this summer...the remainder of the time I've had the trans top on so I haven't experienced a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Harry
Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 AM
z06monster
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by catbert
Some might have seen threads about the C6 roof breaking loose from the frame that attaches to the windshield and "halo." Seemed like a big pain in the butt when mine delaminated, bulged and leaked water and air. I took it to the dealer, and was told they have never seen a one piece delaminate since they were introduced in 84. They were cool, ordered a new top and liner, since the liner is ruined when it's talen off the original top. When I went back for the replacement after it was painted, the service advisor said another C6 came in, and it had lost the entire top shell at highway speed. Said he didn't know if it caused an accident, but it clearly made an impression on him. A top check will be part of every C6 visit to that dealership. So keep an eye on the rear rubber weatherstripping, and if it looks like it's out of alignment or not even with the top, check it out.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM
NeedaC6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatbush_Harry
My build date was week of 6/15/05...does anyone know if the problem has persisted for builds that late? I've only had the painted top on twice this summer...the remainder of the time I've had the trans top on so I haven't experienced a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Harry
My build date was the week before yours and my top has this problem. The only time I see the top bulge is when the car is sitting in the sun, not parked in the garage, etc.

My dealer has a top on order for me but I'm told the tops are now backordered with no estimate when it will come in.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Flatbush_Harry

Originally Posted by NeedaC6
My build date was the week before yours and my top has this problem. The only time I see the top bulge is when the car is sitting in the sun, not parked in the garage, etc.

My dealer has a top on order for me but I'm told the tops are now backordered with no estimate when it will come in.
Thanks for the response and I'll put on my painted top so it can melt down, blow away and be replaced. I guess I'm happy I got the two-top option.

Ah well, life does come with its little issues.

Harry
Old 09-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Fritz Hier
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by z06monster
Dang , it’s like having a cockroach running around!

Get notified of new replies

To Another serious "Non Recall" problem

Quick Reply: Another serious "Non Recall" problem