Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing inside windshield film or "fog"

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:47 PM
KnightRider02
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing inside windshield film or "fog"

My inner windshield had become so bad with the "fog" that I had to remove it. I used this chammy wrapped around a sponge. My mom got it for me for xmas to get rid of the window condensation in the winter. Boy did it take that film right off. I know this is a problem for C5 owners because the dash has to "breathe" out chemicals. I just wanted to share this tip with the forum.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I like the Glass Master and Stoners Glass Cleaner. The wizard helps get in the cracks and crevices, especially around the HUD.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:34 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Stoners Invisible glass.
Available at all autoparts stores even Wallmart .. best Product that I have ever used.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by rws.1
Stoners Invisible glass.
Available at all autoparts stores even Wallmart .. best Product that I have ever used.
x10

That film is actually your breath and skin particles, don't ask how I know, I just do
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused

Windshield Haze or ‘Fog’:
The vinyl used on vehicle dashboards contain plasticizers, these low molecular weight compounds maintain semi-rigid vinyl’s flexibility. The vinyl used in modern vehicle interiors vent (out-gassing) these are the plasticizers evaporating (more prevalent on newer vehicles or a dash with freshly applied vinyl dressing) Crack open vehicle windows when parked to allow the gasses to vent.

UV and heat radiation will also cause the plasticizers to dry out, resulting in a chemical film that when combined with road oils, dirt and grease introduced via by the vehicles a/c system results in a stubborn haze or fog that forms a cohesive bond with the interior glass surfaces.

Wipe glass with a damp waffle weave towel; apply Stoners Invisible GlassTM, to 100% cotton micro fibre cloth and rub glass surface with a light to medium pressure (it will dry streak-free / lint-free) If after cleaning there is still a persistent ‘fog / haze’ pour some Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) on to a clean dry cloth and agitate surface film.

Stoner's IG and a Glassmaster are invaluable for cleaning interior glass surfacess
JonM

FWIW: I didn't know that skin particles and your breath made a negative contribution to glass fogging...
Old 08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
screw991le
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

The white "dust" fog on the windsheild in dead skin cells. I have been looking for the link I had in a study, but believe what you like

Get notified of new replies

To Removing inside windshield film or "fog"

Quick Reply: Removing inside windshield film or "fog"