Sponsored by:

[Z06] Curbed Wheel - Houston Guys Check In >>

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Curbed Wheel - Houston Guys Check In >>

I curbed a wheel on my 02 Z06. I referred to American Wheel and Tire in Houston who said they could fix curbed wheels for $125. Has anyone ever used these guys and how was their work? / Is there someone better in Houston to check out?

When getting someone to fix curbed wheels, what should you look for? How difficult is it to match the paint and clear on stock wheels? Thanks for your input.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Jack Mays
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default curbed wheel

I curbed one of mine, which was light. I used 400 grit sand paper and took the scratchs out and got some silver paint from Wall Mart and touched up the area. The paint was an exact match and the scratched area is undectable. If you have deep scratches or a deformed surface area you may need to seek pro. help..
Old 08-25-2005, 02:13 PM
ty
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used them in Arlington Texas to have my rims machined and powder coated. They did a nice job so I guess the one here would be okay also if same owner.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:12 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not know what Americal Wheel in Houston does to repair a curbed wheel. You might want to ask them before deciding what you want to do.

There is only one credible wheel refinisher / repairer in our area. They will not do a repair without turning the wheel (complete refinishing) which means that they remove some of the alloy on their CNC machine. I do not like that as the refinisher will only do that so many times after which they claim the wheel is unsafe. I only go to them for bent or badly damaged rims.

I have had the same problem which at the time seemed like a traumatic event but I still have not repaired it and it is not the big deal it was when it happened. However, will have to take care of it to prevent corrosion because of removal of the clear coat. You might want to look at this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...rim&forum_id=6

Do not understand why GM breaks the clear coat with crimp on wheel weights.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For paint, I noticed a thread today in which you may be interested:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...2&forum_id=103

I do not know why clearcoat is not mentioned. I am sure there are other posts on this topic on corvette general/tires and wheels or care care products
Old 08-31-2005, 03:51 PM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wheel

American does a nice job, reputable and quality. I've had a couple of wheels done with them and I live in Houston. Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Curbed Wheel - Houston Guys Check In >>

Quick Reply: [Z06] Curbed Wheel - Houston Guys Check In >>