Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wheels and Tires .... Autogeeks How-to's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 09:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Wheels and Tires .... Autogeeks How-to's

Clean Wheels & Tires

Cleaning your wheels and tires regularly is not just an appearance issue – it’s preventative maintenance. If you allow brake dust to sit on your wheels for a prolonged period of time, it can eat into the coating (if there is one) and/or pit the metal. Brake dust is made of an adhesive and carbon fibers that come off the brake pad and tiny metal shavings from the rotor. The intense heat and friction generated by the wheels makes this mixture highly corrosive. Because you probably drive every day, more brake dust is constantly being made. Frequent cleaning is the only way to keep your wheels safe. Ceramic brake pads are another common upgrade to reduce and allievate brake dust in general.

Start at the bottom

1. When you wash your vehicle, clean the wheels and tires first. This will prevent overspray or grime from splashing onto already-clean panels. If you like to clean your wheels and tires with soap and water, use a separate wash bucket and soft bristle brush.

2. Choose a cleaner that is appropriate for the type of wheels you have. Roughcast aluminum and chrome can withstand stronger cleaners than coated, painted, or anodized wheels. The cleaner will say what it is suited for on the label. For example, Mother’s All Purpose Wheel Mist can be used on any type of wheel, but their Chrome/Wire Wheel Cleaner is not safe for coated wheels. If you are not sure what kind of wheels you have, use a cleaner that is safe for all wheels. Most store bought wheel cleaners use lye, and acid as cleaning agents, and can damage clearcoated wheels quickly.

3. I prefer to use a cleaner that works on the tires, too. Wolfgang Gel Wheel Cleaner or Pinnacle Gel Wheel Cleaner are gel formulas that cling to both the tire and the wheel surface to penetrate below the surface. It loosens brake dust that has crept into tiny holes in the metal and into the pores of the rubber. A little agitation with a brush will allow either to work even better.

4. You’d be surprised how many tire and wheel brushes are out there. Basically, you want to look for a brush with feathered bristles for the wheels. This will prevent scratching. OXO’s Ergonomic Wheel Brush is a great option. If your wheels are badly soiled, the New England Wheel Brush has stiffer bristles so you can loosen baked-on grime from between spokes. For tires, OXO also makes an Ergonomic Tire Brush. Tires require a stiffer brush to really scrub the rubber. Don’t be afraid to put a little elbow grease into it, particularly if your tires have layers of old dressings on them. These layers will turn brown and make your tires look worn out if you don’t scrub them off.

5. Always clean your tires and wheels one set at a time to prevent the cleaner from drying. Wash and then rinse with a strong jet of water before moving to the next tire.

6. Dry your wheels! Use a Cobra Microfiber Detailing Towel or a terry cloth towel, but not one that you plan to use on any other part of your vehicle. Once a towel is used on the tires or wheels, it should always be used for tires and wheels. Drying prevents water spots and helps you remove every last bit of the brake dust.

7. Wax your wheels! Once your wheels are clean and dry, use a wheel protectant like DP Wheel Glaze or Wheel Wax to seal the wheel surface. These products work just like car wax. Apply them with an applicator pad and then buff the wheel. They keep your wheels looking shiny, and they prevent brake dust adhesion. Your wheels look cleaner longer. You may have to reapply these products weekly, but it’s better than scrubbing your wheels every two days. The good news is, if you use a wheel wax as recommended, it’s the only thing you need to clean your wheels.

8. Choose your tire dressing carefully. Old formulas contain silicone, which produces a glossy shine but it turns brown over time. These dressings deplete the rubber’s own protectants faster, causing it to age prematurely. Newer formulas, like Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel or Optimum Tire Shine, are water-based and less shiny. They create the look of new tires with a semi-gloss sheen that doesn’t turn brown. Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel also nourishes the rubber to recreate the look of new tires. You can often layer water-based dressings to get a glossier shine. Follow the directions on the label carefully. Always apply thin coats and allow drying time before you drive your vehicle. Even the best dressing will sling off if it’s on too thick or it doesn’t have time to dry.

Your wheels will look better than ever, with a little time and care.

** All products in red are offered at www.autogeek.net with forum discount (just remember to use couponcode on checkout). Consider stopping by ... you'll be amazed at the many choices we offer in every given area of detailing **
Old 08-20-2005, 03:41 PM
KnightRider02
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

I just recently purchased a set of Ronal Wheels for my vette. The are painted gloss black with torch red inserts...and a chrome lip. Ronal advises to clean only with car wash soap and a soft mitt. (I use microfiber) This works, but I like how a wheel cleaner helps to break up the dust better for easier removal. My 2 fav cleaners are Griots Wheel Cleaner and P21S Wheel Cleaner. These wheels are also clear-coated. What do you think about this situation? I am going to e-mail Ronal and ask them about this as well.

Justin

Last edited by KnightRider02; 08-20-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by KnightRider02
Scott,

I just recently purchased a set of Ronal Wheels for my vette. The are painted gloss black with torch red inserts...and a chrome lip. Ronal advises to clean only with car wash soap and a soft mitt. (I use microfiber) This works, but I like how a wheel cleaner helps to break up the dust better for easier removal. My 2 fav cleaners are Griots Wheel Cleaner and P21S Wheel Cleaner. These wheels are also clear-coated. What do you think about this situation? I am going to e-mail Ronal and ask them about this as well.

Justin
Griots is one of the best wheel cleaners made and will work perfectly with your setup. If I were to chose a competitor, I would consider Pinnacle or Wolfgang as both will not harm your wheels either. I am waiting for a set of Iforged Swifts in High Polish ... so I understand the thought of damaging a very expensive set of wheels.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:40 PM
KnightRider02
Pro

Guess I'll be calling Griots tommorrow...thanks Scott
Old 08-21-2005, 03:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default What do you think about putting Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant on the wheels?

Or how about Zaino on the wheels either the Z-2 or Z-5 but I don't know if the ZFX is needed in this case perhaps if you apply multiple coats?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LS WON
Or how about Zaino on the wheels either the Z-2 or Z-5 but I don't know if the ZFX is needed in this case perhaps if you apply multiple coats?
I use Klasse AIO on all of my wheels. The cleaners seem to help with any stubborn stains, and the acrylic protection seems to far outlast some poly based sealants and carnuba on the wheels.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
TSDuke
Pro

How about Poorboys Wheel Sealant? How does it compare to Wheel Wax or DP Wheel Glaze?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 PM
01MY74CvGray
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

I have been using Griots products for years and they are fabulous. I use their wheel cleaner and will use their Vinyl/Rubber dressing or 303. I also use Griots wheel well cleaner and it really is awesome. Thanks for the how to's Scott!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TSDuke
How about Poorboys Wheel Sealant? How does it compare to Wheel Wax or DP Wheel Glaze?
Heard alot of good things over on Autopia on the Poorboys Wheel Sealant, but have not tried personally. At little goes such a long way, that my bottles of Wheel Wax (1 year old) , and DP's Wheel Glaze (3-4 months old) look brand new.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Ttt
Old 09-08-2005, 03:10 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default I too have also used Klasse AIO and Klasse Sealant on the wheels

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I use Klasse AIO on all of my wheels. The cleaners seem to help with any stubborn stains, and the acrylic protection seems to far outlast some poly based sealants and carnuba on the wheels.
Also used Zaino but I can't really tell which is the better product here.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Lets not forget to clean our wheels, while asking how to clean our cars !!

Get notified of new replies

To Wheels and Tires .... Autogeeks How-to's

Quick Reply: Wheels and Tires .... Autogeeks How-to's