C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing blinker bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:19 AM
catfish2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing blinker bulb?

Can someone fill me in on getting the front blinker bulb on my 2000' out to change. I have tried to go down through the raised headlight. I can get my hand on it but I'm not sure how it comes out.. Is this the way to go and how does it come out?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 AM
tenxo
Heel & Toe

I do mine from the bottom there is a access panel right in front of the wheel. I usually lock the wheel out on the side I am working for more space. There is four 10mm bolts and the cover comes off, you can then get your hand in and release the clip and turn out the harness and remove the bulb...

Make sure you test it good before bolting everything back up as I did this once and didn't check it after replacing with the new bulb and it was not in there tight so as soon as i hit a little bump >NO LIGHT AGAIN<

Later
Old 08-15-2005, 06:15 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Don't forget the blinker fluid, people always forget that and they regret it later.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:25 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tenxo
I do mine from the bottom there is a access panel right in front of the wheel. I usually lock the wheel out on the side I am working for more space. There is four 10mm bolts and the cover comes off, you can then get your hand in and release the clip and turn out the harness and remove the bulb...

Make sure you test it good before bolting everything back up as I did this once and didn't check it after replacing with the new bulb and it was not in there tight so as soon as i hit a little bump >NO LIGHT AGAIN<

Later
I also do it this way. It is simple and easy to do. Some prefer to take off the light cover then slide their hands in between the light opening and change the bulb this way. Whatever way is easier I guess.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:46 AM
jaxgator
Le Mans Master

Location: Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

One thing you might also want to check if you are removing the access panel is the turn signal housing itself. I have a 2000 as well and replaced 3 bulbs in less than two weeks. Come to find out the housing was cracked above the DRL because of the heat cycling.

For whatever reason, GM engineers decided to point the socket for the bulb upwards. With the DRL's heat cycling the plastic housing above the bulbs, they eventually crack the housing and allow water into the socket, thereby causing it to short and blow the bulb. I found this to be the case with my 2000 and ended up pulling each of the housings and repairing them. I used high temp silicone and Christmas tree buttons (like the hood liner buttons). Just gooped the high temp silicone on top of the cracks and then after cutting off the pin part of the Christmas tree plug, just placed it on top. I also replaced my sockets for good measure.

After 3 bulbs in less than two weeks when I first got the car, I haven't had one go out in almost a year now.

Good luck,
David

Get notified of new replies

To changing blinker bulb?

Quick Reply: changing blinker bulb?