Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] What a joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 11:32 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default What a joke!!!

I already ordered with Ross Downing Chevrolet for MSRP, expecting delivery late this year. Just for kicks, I emailed some local dealers for a Z06 at MSRP, no more. Here's a response I got

"Its (salesman name) from Power Chevrolet (a local city in SoCal). I just wanted to let you know that I just got your email in regards to the 2006 Z06. I have to let you know sir that we have ordered four Z06 Corvette's and all in which are having a $15,000.00 mark up on them. And we are expecting them in here in the next few months. If you would like to order we do need a deposit and the price is 15k over MSRP. So please get back to me and let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you, "

I'm not sure how to respond to his email.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:10 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear (salesman name) from Power Chevrolet. I just wanted to let you know that I got your email in regards to the 2006 Z06's you expect to receive. I am excited about your four Z06's with only a $15,000.00 mark up on them. In fact, I would like to ensure that I get all four of these cars so I am willing to double your offer by paying $30,000.00 over MSRP on each one of them.

Now you may be thinking, "He must be joking!"

You are right. I am. But you started it.

Best of luck to you selling those cars.

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)
Old 08-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
Dear (salesman name) from Power Chevrolet. I just wanted to let you know that I got your email in regards to the 2006 Z06's you expect to receive. I am excited about your four Z06's with only a $15,000.00 mark up on them. In fact, I would like to ensure that I get all four of these cars so I am willing to double your offer by paying $30,000.00 over MSRP on each one of them.

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)
bwa ha ha ha ha ha
Old 08-13-2005, 12:17 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)

Old 08-13-2005, 12:33 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Great retort, Tom!

The local dealers and a lot of dealers from other big urban areas seem to be from another planet.

I've heard Cormier Chevrolet in Carson has Coupes and Converts. marked up $5-10K, and they have at least 40 of them sitting on the lot going nowhere, and the local Power Chevrolet in Hawthorne is probably in the same boat.

As an aside, only about one-third of the Ford GTs built to date have been sold due to dealer markups that potential buyers refuse to pay, but prices are coming down and one web site that tracks data predicts that they will be selling for MSRP by year end.

A friend recently went to Cormier to buy a new SUV with the "employee discount for everyone deal" and the people he dealt with were so rude, he and his wife walked out and bought from another dealer.

These type of dealers are going to have to change their tune or they will be out of business or have to sell out to better managements within a few years. They have a lot of overhead, and they can't just hang around with hundeds of vehicles on their lot with average "in inventory" time of over 60 days or the increasing cost of flooring as interest rates rise is going to eat them alive!

In the meantime, buy your Corvette from a forum dealer, and if you've never done a museum delivery, don't miss out on this wonderful experience.

Duke
Old 08-13-2005, 12:54 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)

Ok, I'll use your retort verbatim and will post his response (if any) here for forum enjoyment!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 AM
Drug Delivery
Drifting

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
As an aside, only about one-third of the Ford GTs built to date have been sold due to dealer markups that potential buyers refuse to pay, but prices are coming down and one web site that tracks data predicts that they will be selling for MSRP by year end.Duke
Local Ford Dealer has GT in the showroom marked up to $279,000. I wonder if they let a the average joe salesman sell these cars.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:48 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

My local Ford dealer has a yellow and red one, both marked "not for sale". One sits out next to Roscrans Ave with the panels raised baking in the sun- guess it's an "attention getter" to snag some yahoo that might get sucked into buying a gas-guzzling SUV from their overflowing inventory.

I've looked at them, but tried to have minimum discussion with the salemen - just played dumb.

Duke
Old 08-13-2005, 04:33 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

You all do realize dealerships do these high mark ups on certain vehicles to keep them in the showroom. And if someone pays it that's okay too. But the main reason is to keep the limited stock on the floor to bring people in to sell them something else.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:55 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Drug Delivery
Local Ford Dealer has GT in the showroom marked up to $279,000. I wonder if they let a the average joe salesman sell these cars.
I have now been quoted $160,000 by a Ford dealer in Virginia. Stupid is as stupid does!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:50 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)
Thats classic
Old 08-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shylor
You all do realize dealerships do these high mark ups on certain vehicles to keep them in the showroom. And if someone pays it that's okay too. But the main reason is to keep the limited stock on the floor to bring people in to sell them something else.
Sure, but the Z06 won't be that limited stock for too long. Once GM gets production ramped up we should expect to see 5,000+ per year.

Plus, I know some folks are worshipping the ground the new Z06 drives on right now, but we are fans. Is the average Joe, who has been driving past a dealership for the past year going to see a Z06 and think, "I've gotta see that new Corvette with different wheels, wider tires and a tiny scoop on the front!?!"

I just don't know if the Z06 is different-looking enough to draw a crowd. Sure, I'll go look at one when the local dealer gets one on the floor, but I'm not gonna buy anything from them unless they have a low-mileage 04 Z06 for sale.

I'm gonna have to wait until I can get a better deal on a new one.

Old 08-13-2005, 11:51 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
I already ordered with Ross Downing Chevrolet for MSRP, expecting delivery late this year. Just for kicks, I emailed some local dealers for a Z06 at MSRP, no more. Here's a response I got

"Its (salesman name) from Power Chevrolet (a local city in SoCal). I just wanted to let you know that I just got your email in regards to the 2006 Z06. I have to let you know sir that we have ordered four Z06 Corvette's and all in which are having a $15,000.00 mark up on them. And we are expecting them in here in the next few months. If you would like to order we do need a deposit and the price is 15k over MSRP. So please get back to me and let me know what your thoughts are. Thank you, "

I'm not sure how to respond to his email.
On a positive note, those of us that have the better judgement to wait for a more reasonable mark-up should see the value hold up a little longer into the coming years. Of course, as with Harleys, the good times faulter and supply gets too great for that kind of demand and the bad taste is left over after all is said and done. I shop around for dealers that don't take me for a fool.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Ransom 1
Instructor

Duke, I'm curious about musuem delivery. You said it's a wonderful experience. Would you elaborate? What does it involve? What about the paperwork? Any info will be appreciated. Thanks! Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread--I'll inquire elsewhere.

Last edited by Ransom 1; 08-13-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Stick
Racer

I stopped by a local dealer last Saturday and the place was desolate. I was the only "customer" on the premises inside or out and was never approached by a salesman. That was fine with me, of course, since I was just checking out their C6's. They had a black convertible on the showroom floor which stickered for $61k with a markup of $15k for $76k total. They even marked up the HHR by $1500. These guys are absolutely clueless...
Old 08-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Sure, but the Z06 won't be that limited stock for too long. Once GM gets production ramped up we should expect to see 5,000+ per year.
And when this happens they won't be marking them up! They only do mark ups on new releases.

Is the average Joe, who has been driving past a dealership for the past year going to see a Z06 and think, "I've gotta see that new Corvette with different wheels, wider tires and a tiny scoop on the front!?!" I just don't know if the Z06 is different-looking enough to draw a crowd.
The average Corvette Joe will most definately stop and look!
Old 08-13-2005, 09:24 PM
barondw
Pro

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
Great retort, Tom!

As an aside, only about one-third of the Ford GTs built to date have been sold due to dealer markups that potential buyers refuse to pay, but prices are coming down and one web site that tracks data predicts that they will be selling for MSRP by year end.

Duke

Yes and no. Many dealers do want to sell the car because of the traffice it generates. That is a major reason why actual sales on the Ford GT are low.

Your comments about pricing are correct IMO. Yes prices will continue to drop although I would be surprised to see them sell a car at list price.

Get notified of new replies

To What a joke!!!

Old 08-19-2005, 11:11 AM
WALLY'S YELLOW C6
Intermediate

Sincerely,

(Insert your name here)
What a masterpiece! That was awesome!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:29 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Default A sucker born every minute!!!

Who in there right mind would want to pay 15k extra for a new car anyway?
Old 08-19-2005, 07:27 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

[QUOTE=Tom Steele]Dear (salesman name) from Power Chevrolet. I just wanted to let you know that I got your email in regards to the 2006 Z06's you expect to receive. I am excited about your four Z06's with only a $15,000.00 mark up on them. In fact, I would like to ensure that I get all four of these cars so I am willing to double your offer by paying $30,000.00 over MSRP on each one of them.

QUOTE]

How about changing the last part to, I will send you a cashiers check that is $10,000 over the $120,000. You keep $5000 of it for yourself and send me the extra $5000................................... ...........

Quick Reply: [Z06] What a joke!!!