Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

My first SHOT from the bottle!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Major Spray
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first SHOT from the bottle!

Well Guys,

After breaking the new LS2 block and C5R head motor in, we began days of extensive tuning and tweaking which resulted in some incredible results! Carmen, Dennis, Joey and I tried several different throttle bodies (TB), intakes, vacuum pumps, water pumps, etc to get the right combination to produce the right power curve which will produce consistent 8 sec 1/4 mile passes.

Here are more details on the complete package:

Link to the Vette Doctors LS2 based C5R Z06

The results where amazing! Through pure perseverance (and about a dozen intake manifold and throttle body combo's), we were able to pick up over 75 additional RWHP from out initial baseline run with a traditional BBK TB and basic Hogan Manifold!

The final output of the LS2/C5R motor was over 635RWHP and 660RWTQ on a fat tune through a Turbo 400, a sh@t converter and 28” tall tires (which are all RWHP parasites).

The path to this amazing power ended with a dramatically redesigned sheet metal intake manifold, significantly upgraded fuel system and most importantly a dramatic change to the throttle body approach which quite frankly is just down right revolutionary! The pictures alone will speak for themselves!!!:

1st Picture of the Custom Vette Doctors C5R Dual TB Intake

2nd Picture of the Custom Vette Doctors C5R Dual TB Intake
3rd Picture of the Custom Vette Doctors C5R Dual TB Intake

Carmen and Dennis tried several different combos, sizes and placement to get the proper cfm combo which delivered the right and balanced air-fuel mixture. This dedication is just one of the reasons why The Vette Doctors are absolutely the number one in my book!!! They have the most experience with the C5R motors and make the most power bar none!!

We then tried to add a little NOS to the party despite having a very loose NA Torque Converter in the beast and again with a fat tune and on only 1 of the two stages (200 shot), we made an incredible 820RWHP!! Now keep in mind this beast is design for a 400+ shot! Here is the NOS Dyno video:

Video of the LS2 C5R on the 820RWHP Dyno Pass

All of this testing and Dyno Tuning and tweaking did not leave enough time to install the new Torque Converter (more on this piece of art in a separate post). This left us a little concerned trying to run the car on the juice at the track since we did not dyno the motor on the nos with the heavier load that a NOS Converter would deliver. So we set a .70 delay on the spray to help the loose converter out, retarded the timing even more and made it real rich to be safe. All this effectively detuning the motor for the Sunday Vette Doctors Pro 8.

Knowing the converter was flashing to 6200 I did not expect any better then a mid to high 9 sec NOS shake down pass. The first 2 passes I had some wiring bugs thanks to your truly which is normal when you try to get used to a new set up. This caused the NOS not to engage. I also tried 3 different plugs with 3 different heat ranges which was also a factor in my times. Both runs were in the 10's. I finally got the wiring all worked out and made my final pass which was the first round of the Vette Doctors Pro 8. I launched the car hard and quickly noticed the Converter was worse then I expected. The shift light is set at 6800 and the darn thing did not go off during the entire run! The motor on spray blew through the converter! She still felt real strong and I thought I made a decent pass. When I got the slip I was amazed to see a new personal best 9.30 @ 150! All of this with only a high 1.40 60 foot.

Vette Doctors LS2 based C5R Z06 running 9.30 @ 150

This car is amazing and the motor is incredible! The Vette Doctors are again the absolute masters of the C5R. The time and effort that they put in to these motors is really paying off. This car will surely be an 8 sec beast. There is no question that this car will be the fastest stock suspension C5 ever. The car is a total blast at the track and on the street.
Stay tuned for more updates as I started to swap the converter last night.

Last edited by Major Spray; 08-11-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:47 AM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful Happy to see you running again, Paulie. I know how it feels to be out of the saddle for so long. Nice job!!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:10 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Glad to see you back on the bottle Paul
Old 08-10-2005, 11:06 AM
lowets
Racer

Default lets have a 400 shot

congrats on the success to you and the vette dr's. ya big silly. And yes this is a sincere post.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:26 AM
NL Racecraft
Racer

congrats

now lets see the 400 shot off the line???
Old 08-10-2005, 11:51 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

I know what I want for Xmas!!!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best of luck with the new setup!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

9.30 with a stock suspension is flying. Great job of driving to boot.

The Magic Eight Ball says...8's are in the future!
Old 08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Major Spray
Drifting

Originally Posted by NL Racecraft
congrats

now lets see the 400 shot off the line???
Leo

I am not that nuts

I will be running at least a 400 shot by the end of the season. It will be split in to two stages a little one out off the hole
Old 08-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Major Spray
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geneus
9.30 with a stock suspension is flying. Great job of driving to boot.

The Magic Eight Ball says...8's are in the future!
Thanks Don

Retaining the IRS has been a mission of mine. 8's will not be an issue this car has alot in her
Old 08-11-2005, 08:25 AM
onefast99
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you have another monster engine. Great job by the Vette Drs and you in putting this together while everyone else was at the track. With great air coming in you should be right in the high 8's.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:30 PM
kwikfix91
Pro

CLEAN AND SWEET-GREAT JOB-NOW YOU CAN WORK YOUR WAY UP TO A BIGGER BOTTLE-LOL

JOEY

Get notified of new replies

To My first SHOT from the bottle!

Quick Reply: My first SHOT from the bottle!