Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Runs the ring at 7:42

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 PM
AAB92LT1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs the ring at 7:42

I don't know if its been posted yet, but in the new motor trend they confirm that the z06 did in fact run "the ring" in 7:42, not the blue devil. They said it's the second fastest lap ever for a production car, next to the porsche carrera gt. ***** out everybody.

Last edited by AAB92LT1; 08-04-2005 at 04:36 PM. Reason: my balls are on fire.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:31 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

i think the SLR ran a little faster. 7:40

still sick news though
Old 08-04-2005, 04:39 PM
AAB92LT1
Intermediate

The SLR Mclaren was on there too, and it was behind the c6 z06.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
1Day
Drifting

see the thing is i dont think mercedes does time testing on the ring..so the SLR timing would be by some one who either owns it or a mag tester and not the best factory tester like Jan from the vette land..so i dont know how far the 7:50 time can be taken but no doubt the Z06 is killer..

btw this is really old news..
Old 08-04-2005, 05:15 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AAB92LT1
The SLR Mclaren was on there too, and it was behind the c6 z06.
Just goes to show that Excessive HP doesn't necessarily equilibrate with best Ring times.

What a car needs there is sticky tires, wing downdraft, superb suspension, and lightweight.

The SLR is a hefty 'porker' ... c/w the Z.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:59 PM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Day
see the thing is i dont think mercedes does time testing on the ring..so the SLR timing would be by some one who either owns it or a mag tester and not the best factory tester like Jan from the vette land..so i dont know how far the 7:50 time can be taken but no doubt the Z06 is killer..

btw this is really old news..
About how much fuel do you think they use to put that quick lap time?

1/4?
Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bernrex
Just goes to show that Excessive HP doesn't necessarily equilibrate with best Ring times.

What a car needs there is sticky tires, wing downdraft, superb suspension, and lightweight.

No doubt. Joao Barbosa took a 435hp Mosler MT900 'round the ring in 7:42, and it was his first day to ever drive the track.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
No doubt. Joao Barbosa took a 435hp Mosler MT900 'round the ring in 7:42, and it was his first day to ever drive the track.

The Moslers are absolutelly amazing in what they can achieve with a 435 hp motor. Now imagine the Mosler with the new LS7 in back and that's going to be one hell of a racer. I'm almost 100% positive if Mosler production continues, this will in fact become a reallity. Hope so anyway! Great cars, can't say enough about them.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:19 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah ... but GOD what a beautiful porker!!!!! I'd dump all my cars in a heartbeat for one.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:16 PM
1Day
Drifting

Originally Posted by teking
Yeah ... but GOD what a beautiful porker!!!!! I'd dump all my cars in a heartbeat for one.

if i had 500 to throw on a car thats the only car i would buy...its appeal supersedes all cars..luxo + freakish fast + killer looks...
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

sorry but very old news...and GM lists the official time as 7:43....the 'real' time was 7:42.99...

Not to be nit picky but enough false info is floating on the net about this car-not the time to be 'fudging' with figures and changing a 7 min 42.99 time to a flat 7' 42...

Last edited by Z06LUST; 08-05-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
AAB92LT1
Intermediate

I didn't say it ran a 7:42 flat, but 7:42.99999999 is still 7:42, not 7:43. I'm just telling you what the professional magazine said. You people bitch way too much. You remind me of the old folks community that surrounds my house.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:48 PM
VETDRMS
Melting Slicks

You people bitch way too much. You remind me of the old folks community that surrounds my house.
Welcome to the Corvette Forum!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:50 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by AAB92LT1
I don't know if its been posted yet, but in the new motor trend they confirm that the z06 did in fact run "the ring" in 7:42, not the blue devil. They said it's the second fastest lap ever for a production car, next to the porsche carrera gt. ***** out everybody.
CORVETTE MAGAZINE, says it WAS the Blue Devil. I quote....." A spy shooter has put Chevy's continuing denials of a super vette in doubt. Photog Bernd Rauh recently captured this machine undergoing testing at the Ring with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. Code named Blue Devil, it is rumored o have extensive carbon-fiber bodywork to lower the weight under 3000 lbs and 600 or more horses from a blown LS7 spinoff. The test car just looked like a blue Z06, BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY. If the program were to see production, a low six figure MSRP would seem likely."

So according to Corvette Magazine, that WAS the Blue Devil, all carbon fiber and 600 + hp. And as Janni says Road and Track caught it also. Only Motor Trend, the least accurate and most sensational, and most prone to bad predictions, did not catch it. Kudos to Chevy for pulling this stunt off.

Put your ***** back big guy!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

So...a blower that adds a whopping 95 HP???

We already discussed this (ad nauseum).
Old 08-05-2005, 08:12 PM
rockettc
Racer

Originally Posted by canadianguy
CORVETTE MAGAZINE, says it WAS the Blue Devil. I quote....." A spy shooter has put Chevy's continuing denials of a super vette in doubt. Photog Bernd Rauh recently captured this machine undergoing testing at the Ring with Jan Magnussen at the wheel. Code named Blue Devil, it is rumored o have extensive carbon-fiber bodywork to lower the weight under 3000 lbs and 600 or more horses from a blown LS7 spinoff. The test car just looked like a blue Z06, BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY. If the program were to see production, a low six figure MSRP would seem likely."

So according to Corvette Magazine, that WAS the Blue Devil, all carbon fiber and 600 + hp. And as Janni says Road and Track caught it also. Only Motor Trend, the least accurate and most sensational, and most prone to bad predictions, did not catch it. Kudos to Chevy for pulling this stunt off.

Put your ***** back big guy!
"BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY". So unless you tell us what the lap times were, there is no story Corvette Magazine. At least MotorTrend gave us an official Z06 lap time instead of some Blue Devil shaggy dog story.

In the original Blue shaggy dog Devil story it supposedly went 7:40 at the 'Ring but that was before we knew the Z went 7:42.99. So now, since 7:40 doesn't seem fast enough for for a lighter, faster SuperVette they have have to say "BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY" because they have no clue what the lap time is because it (the lap time) doesn't exist.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM
racerns
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

This has been rehashed already!! David Hill has been quoted that the 7:43 (7:42.9) was a regular Z06 and not the Blue Devil. The magazines are wrong, that got the story and ran with it based in the inital reports of a supercharger "sound". If the blue car was the "Blue Devil" then where are the pictures of the regular Z06 that ran the Ring? You would think that someone would have got a picture, right?

Get notified of new replies

To Runs the ring at 7:42

Old 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM
barondw
Pro

More important than all that is the driver
Old 08-05-2005, 08:53 PM
canadianguy
Pro

Originally Posted by rockettc
"BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY". So unless you tell us what the lap times were, there is no story Corvette Magazine. At least MotorTrend gave us an official Z06 lap time instead of some Blue Devil shaggy dog story.

In the original Blue shaggy dog Devil story it supposedly went 7:40 at the 'Ring but that was before we knew the Z went 7:42.99. So now, since 7:40 doesn't seem fast enough for for a lighter, faster SuperVette they have have to say "BUT THE LAP TIMES TOLD A DIFFERENT STORY" because they have no clue what the lap time is because it (the lap time) doesn't exist.

Just read the article. They did not mention that it was the blue devil so it should be assumed that it was not. It also never said it was stock either. Hmmm. But it did state that GM spent 2 weeks testing it there and finding the optimum tire, spring, shock combination (now that does not sound like stock to me). And that the pro driver, well accustomed to the Ring, took 4 laps with the fourth being the best. Note they rented the track for a whole hour so there was no other traffic. It was also at 7:00 in the morning so the earlier comment about hot weather reducing hp is pure bunk.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
SteveJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canadianguy
Just read the article. They did not mention that it was the blue devil so it should be assumed that it was not. It also never said it was stock either. Hmmm. But it did state that GM spent 2 weeks testing it there and finding the optimum tire, spring, shock combination (now that does not sound like stock to me). And that the pro driver, well accustomed to the Ring, took 4 laps with the fourth being the best. Note they rented the track for a whole hour so there was no other traffic. It was also at 7:00 in the morning so the earlier comment about hot weather reducing hp is pure bunk.
I'd like someone to be sure to reference the first GM mention of the time when it appears in writing. It may be on their web site, or it might come out in Corvette Quarterly. As far as I know the only tires available for the car right now are the stock runflats.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Runs the ring at 7:42