C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
KWAK
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Track Days

If I want to take my motorcycle to a track for a weekend I can go to just about any track in the US. I would like to take my car from time to time. Is there anyone who has any information or personal experience in taking their car to a track? And what tracks will allow this? And what are the restrictions and requirements?
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Sully C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

There are tracks all over the country. We drive our Vette at Road Atlanta on open track days. The only rstriction is that convertibles have roolbars. Go for it...what a blast & at times a very humbling experience. I watched two Corvette drivers who couldn't keep up with a Ford Probe.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:34 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Good place to start:

http://www.trackschedule.com/
Old 08-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Buckeye guy
Pro

MI int'l speedway (MIS) offers track school 3 times a year. The next one is on Sept. 23-25. For $350 you can do 10 laps around the 2 mile track. For $675 you can go 20 laps and for $1200 you can do 30 laps. The 30 lap deal is an all day event with lots of classroom and driving instructions. Each package has instructors who will teach you how to drive on the track. Call MIS and they will send you more specific information. I am going to do the $350 10 lap deal next year.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Where are you located? We have a track event coming up on Aug 13th-14th at Reno Fernley Raceway outside Reno, Nevada. It will be Corvette-only and is sponsored by a driving school so will have instructors, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Evado
Advanced

Default track days

Originally Posted by KWAK
If I want to take my motorcycle to a track for a weekend I can go to just about any track in the US. I would like to take my car from time to time. Is there anyone who has any information or personal experience in taking their car to a track? And what tracks will allow this? And what are the restrictions and requirements?
Generally speaking, you have to go through a training course prior to driving on a track. Once an instructor signs you off, you are on your own. Generally speaking you track on weekdays, as the weekend is reserved for professional events.

There is nothing more fun. I only drive my C6 Z51 on the track. Once you have been on the track, driving regular roads is so boring, so I do that in my daily driver car.

Have fun! Nothing like it. I shot video from the last track day. What a blast to watch!
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

In Texas it's

www.thedriversedge.net
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
dekaran
Racer

Default Found this website

I was searching for the same thing a few months back and came across this website. It is great becasue you can just click on a map to find road, dirt and other tracks.

http://chasinracin.com/track-locator/
Old 08-04-2005, 10:14 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Down here in Texas, if you are willing to drive a couple hours to the track (and a couple hours back) there are enough track events with various groups that you could drive on a track just about every weekend of the year. in '03 I did 18 events.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Sully C5
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Buckeye guy
For $350 you can do 10 laps around the 2 mile track. For $675 you can go 20 laps and for $1200 you can do 30 laps.
Wow that is mucho dinero! We run Road Atlanta 2.5 mile track. For $275 you get 4 - 1/2 hour sessions, so the number of laps depends on how fast you drive. There are 6 Panoz Racing drivers positioned around the track who provide feedback & instruction on improving driving skills.

http://www.panozracingschool.com/Tra...sSchedule.aspx
Old 08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotBolt
Rick and crew are a great bunch.

RedHot - you going to be at MSR in Sept?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:20 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by yellow01

RedHot - you going to be at MSR in Sept?

Signing up now.

J
Old 08-06-2005, 10:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Our School is $300 for four 30 minutes sessions per day or 4 hours of track time for the weekend. Plus this comes with personal in car instruction and 2 hours of class room instruction per day.

School tend to sell out months in advacne, ours sold out in March for an October school. So one needs to plan months in advance, not just show up and go.

Some ppl just want to go out and blast away on a road course, well that ain't going to happen.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:44 AM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

School tend to sell out months in advacne, ours sold out in March for an October school. So one needs to plan months in advance, not just show up and go.
Every event with The Drivers Edge sells out but the red run group usually does not fill up until a few weeks before the event. When I called last week the green and blue run groups were sold out and yellow was almost full. Also the cooler it gets the faster the events sell out!

Jerry
Old 08-08-2005, 11:19 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

To help with the lead time, I just signed up for two additonal October events two weeks ago. At that time I also signed up for a Novermber event the week before T-day and will sign up for a DEC event in early Sept when Registration opens.

We track-a-holics need our 'FIXES' so we plan around those weekends.

Heck, back last Feb I was 'discussing' with my soon to be wife a weekend in June to get married. Wanted my track buddies to come to the wedding but not be PO that they missed track time.

Remember one of the cardnial sins of owning a corvette: Never plan a wedding or family activity during Carshow or racing season.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Days

Quick Reply: Track Days