Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Z06 vert?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Default Z06 vert?

Hey guys, thought I'd wander into C6 land and get your opinion on something. I was talking to another member about something I was thinking about doing. It then dawned on me that it may look like my idea may be considered "posing". Just wanted some feedback from those of you that own C6's.

While the look of the C6 has been growing on me, I just fell in love with the Z06 C6. That is a hot looking car.

I love my supercharged vert and was thinking that when it comes time to buy a C6, I would buy the same... a vert and add a supercharger.

Now, here's my question. Do you think it would be in poor form to buy a C6 vert and replace the necc. panels with Z06 panels?

I own a bodyshop so the work isn't a big deal. The cost of the parts with supercharger would probably still come out less than what I could buy a Z06 for.

I'm not doing this for a cost standpoint, I love the looks of the Z06 but hate to lose my vert. (and I will always have a supercharged engine)

I would never add Z06 badges to a C5 because though I modify everything, I'm still a purist as far as posing. I'm not trying to "pose" like I have a Z06, I just love the bodypanels and still want my vert.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mark

PS. Here's a from a C5 guy.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:35 AM
RAP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's easy for you to do......I'd go for it. The convertible Z06 is what a large number of people have asked for and the wisdom of Mr. Hill and some of the GM engineers, a large part of the Corvette loving market has to settle for what we are told we should have, not what we want.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:36 AM
Turbo63
Instructor

I personally think if you can do it - DO IT! I have owned 7 vettes and my most favorite were/is the convertible - I think GM should have offered the new Z06 in a convertible form to compete with the SRT 10 Viper - if you can adopt a 2006 Z look and still maintain the convertible flexibility its a huge win/win - who cares what others think right?! I agree that the fender flares and hood scoop are really sharp - would love to have that added to my C6 vert look if I could - go for it!
Old 07-31-2005, 08:57 AM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Just my opinion, but yes, I personally think it would be very poor form..., but that's just me...
Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 AM
Thinker
Burning Brakes

Y'know - I think you might kill the resale on the thing. I know what you mean. We all REALLY want a targa or vert Z06 - but that doesn't exist. Swapping panels might make you like the guy around here driving a mitsubishi w/Ferrari panels on front. I'm sure it helps hhim get his date home at night - but in the morning it is still a toyota.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:28 AM
AMF
Drifting

Originally Posted by jazzlove
Just my opinion, but yes, I personally think it would be very poor form..., but that's just me...
Ditto
Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Keep in mind, I wouldn't be putting Z06 emblems, just the body parts. I thought about killing the value but what really would the difference be if I had a C6 and added ground effects, a spoiler, wings, etc, etc...? At least this stuff would be OEM parts which would at least be better (IMO) than putting a ferrari kit or lambo doors for example.

Mark
Old 07-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I say go for it.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:57 AM
resmith23
Instructor

Default Vert Mods

I agree with the negative comments that any body or engine mods reduce resale along with voiding your warranty. Being willing to accept that fact and really wanting something different and exciting, the mods you mentioned would do it. If you like the Z06 hood or fenders go for it. And the supercharger should give it Z06 power. Just don't take it too seriously, because no one else will. You wont be able to pass your mod C6 vert as a Z06 vert (expecially since it isn't being made), no matter how much you spend. Just make it look the way you like it; have fun and be safe.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:31 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Originally Posted by resmith23
You wont be able to pass your mod C6 vert as a Z06 vert (expecially since it isn't being made), no matter how much you spend.

I think you missed my point. I'm NOT trying to pawn it off as a Z06 vert... we all know that it doesn't exist. As far as warranties, who cares, I'll take that chance for having a supercharger.

About every new vehicle I have owned, I have modded to the point that the warranty gets voided for that particular item. (supercharger=engine/drivetrain or liftkit=suspension)

Fortunately for me, being in the automotive business, it's not what you know, it's who you know. Warranty issues aren't a problem anyway.

I'm also not concerned about resale. If I get one, I'll definitely be keeping it for a while...by that time, it won't matter.

I'm mostly interested in thinking if anyone thinks that putting the new bodypanels is the same as taking a stock C5 and adding Z06 badges to it.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Because of frame issues I think your best bet would be to add the body panels, etc. to a steel framed C6 vert, just don't add the badges, that's when you cross the line to poser-ville.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:36 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

it is your car and your money who cares what anyone else thinks, that being said I would do it if I was in your place.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:46 AM
STGRAY
Instructor

Why not Z06 body panels, brake parts, suspension mods, exhaust sytem AND an LS7 transplant. Now this is a car I would buy!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Take a look at my sig pic, I wanted a 2003 AE Z06 but GM wouldn't build it so I did it myself using a convertible, I never called it a Z06 instead I always referred to it as an FRC. I have just finished converting the car back to a convertible and I'll be using the roof panel to make a removeable hardtop.

It's your car so do what you want, I see you have the right idea by not putting Z06 badges on it because you realize it will never be a real Z06.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Bigben
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 4 Posts

You could always keep the stock panels for reinstallation prior to selling the car eventually. As for posing and the rest of the issues, keep the badges off, and the hel* with what other people think. It is your car and you obviously have thought about it quite a bit. Life is short, convert it, drive it, and enjoy it!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:00 PM
cbgpe
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default you can't stop with the body panels

Originally Posted by MyBlueC5
Hey guys, thought I'd wander into C6 land and get your opinion on something. I was talking to another member about something I was thinking about doing. It then dawned on me that it may look like my idea may be considered "posing". Just wanted some feedback from those of you that own C6's.

While the look of the C6 has been growing on me, I just fell in love with the Z06 C6. That is a hot looking car.

I love my supercharged vert and was thinking that when it comes time to buy a C6, I would buy the same... a vert and add a supercharger.

Now, here's my question. Do you think it would be in poor form to buy a C6 vert and replace the necc. panels with Z06 panels?

I own a bodyshop so the work isn't a big deal. The cost of the parts with supercharger would probably still come out less than what I could buy a Z06 for.

I'm not doing this for a cost standpoint, I love the looks of the Z06 but hate to lose my vert. (and I will always have a supercharged engine)

I would never add Z06 badges to a C5 because though I modify everything, I'm still a purist as far as posing. I'm not trying to "pose" like I have a Z06, I just love the bodypanels and still want my vert.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mark

It may not have the ZO6 look without those big wheels and tires add about 3-4k for those as well
ME I would not do it just my $ 00.02
Old 07-31-2005, 06:13 PM
ChrisTinaBruce
Drifting

This is exactely what I would do if I owned a body shop. What would you charge to make me one? I would prefer a TT, but a SC might do if you can keep the Z06 hood.

Originally Posted by MyBlueC5

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mark

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vert?

Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

It's your car so do what you want with it. I would keep the original body panels untouched so if you get tired of it or wanted to sell it, you could bring it back to stock form.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 PM
Dsob15
Burning Brakes

I think the new Z06 in vert form would be dead sexy. I wish somebody would chop the top with photoshop or something and post some good pics on the forum. Go for it man.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Originally Posted by cbgpe
It may not have the ZO6 look without those big wheels and tires add about 3-4k for those as well
ME I would not do it just my $ 00.02

Absolutely, doing this without some seriously wide wheels would be a waste....

Originally Posted by TXREFI
This is exactely what I would do if I owned a body shop. What would you charge to make me one? I would prefer a TT, but a SC might do if you can keep the Z06 hood.

I agree that a tt would be better but I'd go with the sc for a couple of reasons.. a)cheaper, b)less hassle (Maggie was super easy to install and maintain) and c)I definitely would want a new hood.... something tough looking.

As far as cost to do it, I'd have to pull up the times on the computer to get an idea... wouldn't be cheap, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by Dsob15
I think the new Z06 in vert form would be dead sexy. I wish somebody would chop the top with photoshop or something and post some good pics on the forum. Go for it man.

That's a perfect description... dead sexy. That body in black....

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 vert?