Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Cut-outs - Who's got 'em?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 05:44 PM
vettenovice
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electronic Cut-outs - Who's got 'em?

I have Corsa Pace Car exhaust. No other mods. Thinking electronic cut-outs could be a lot of fun when I want to make some noise. Have no plans to bring car to track. Did some research but couldn't find answers to following. Any help/tips would be appreciated.
1)Is there a vendor that sells both the cut-out component(the small y shapes exhaust peice) and the electronic control mechanism?
2)Will the engine get all confused? Is there more airflow when the cut-out is open?
3) I would put the cut-out behind the CATs to ensure I pass inspection. Anyone have problems with inspection?

As Always, THANKS
Old 07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Patches has them.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcash
I think Patches has them.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Jetspeedz
Burning Brakes

his website has info on where to buy them from as well
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Look In Here scroll down to post #5.

Patches even has a drive by video, turn them speakers up

Last edited by 50 4Ever; 07-20-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:07 PM
Ragin'Cajun
Pro

Originally Posted by vettenovice
I have Corsa Pace Car exhaust. No other mods. Thinking electronic cut-outs could be a lot of fun when I want to make some noise. Have no plans to bring car to track. Did some research but couldn't find answers to following. Any help/tips would be appreciated.
1)Is there a vendor that sells both the cut-out component(the small y shapes exhaust peice) and the electronic control mechanism?
2)Will the engine get all confused? Is there more airflow when the cut-out is open?
3) I would put the cut-out behind the CATs to ensure I pass inspection. Anyone have problems with inspection?

As Always, THANKS
I have some QTP cut outs installed and love them. I had the "Y" made at a local custom muffler shop and ran the wiring myself for the cut outs to the switch and power source. I don't know of a vendor that sells it as an all in one, but I don't think that would help too much as you would still have the all in one set up installed at a muffler shop, so in my opinion just let them make the "y" to perfectly fit the application instead of getting a premade one and trying to make it fit under the car. When I got mine done it took a couple hours and only cost me about $75 at the muffler shop for them to do this for me, so I don't think it would be too much cheaper to have some prefabricated to install. As far as confusing the computer, I haven't had any problems of the sort, and I have had mine in for over 5,000 miles now, I am not saying it isn't possible (cause I don't know) but I haven't had the slightest trouble with it. And finally for placement of the cut outs, if you have a M6 I would follow Patches directions exactly to install the cut outs. If you have a A4, like me, then you will have a hell of a time getting them to fit by the transmission and run the risk of either hanging them to low where they could touch the ground/ speed bump/ etc. or baking your transmission with the added heat from the exhaust blowing on it. This is why I mounted mine beind the axle, they can be tucked up there nicely so that they cannot be seen without getting on all fours behind the car to look under it. Here is a pic of my installation -

You can see in the pic the turndowns that I put on behind the cut outs and roughly the way they are oriented under the car behind the fiberglass "tub" between the exhaust pipes.

Sorry for being so long winded, just thought I would help you out a little since others did so for me when I was looking for info here before installing mine.

This obviously is not the only way to do this install, but this is how I did it and am very happy with my results. It is a great mod in my opinion.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

well...i have a set of QTP cutouts... and they have been nothing but problems... prolly due to the fact that my car is lowered and i rub/bang the cutouts all the time. i have an A4, so they sit directly under the tranny pan... a very dangerous place i know, but i didn't do the work, bought the car with them on...

so, the cutout is AWESOME for shows or cruis-ins and what not. sounds mean as heck on the road as well! u can literally feel the beat in your body... keep in mind, my car is a 427, no cats, straight 3" piping. so its LOUD!

a few things with QTP's cutouts... they can't seem to built them correctly. i have had to send in one cutout already b/c the adhesives they use to put the motor on the flange is just weak. looks literally like it was shrink wrapped on. it doesn't hold. it doesn't matter how many bumps and things i hit, its a matter of quality on construction. actually, one of mine broke this weekend. so gotta send that back in for repairs. it costs $30 to repair. about a 2 week turn around...

overall though, i love my cutouts!!! but its sometimes not worth the hassle...

my dyno vid link below in my sig has ONE cutout open, so u'll kinda hear how she sounds... enjoy!
Aj
Old 07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Quick Time
Racer

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BURB
well...i have a set of QTP cutouts... and they have been nothing but problems... prolly due to the fact that my car is lowered and i rub/bang the cutouts all the time. i have an A4, so they sit directly under the tranny pan... a very dangerous place i know, but i didn't do the work, bought the car with them on...

so, the cutout is AWESOME for shows or cruis-ins and what not. sounds mean as heck on the road as well! u can literally feel the beat in your body... keep in mind, my car is a 427, no cats, straight 3" piping. so its LOUD!

a few things with QTP's cutouts... they can't seem to built them correctly. i have had to send in one cutout already b/c the adhesives they use to put the motor on the flange is just weak. looks literally like it was shrink wrapped on. it doesn't hold. it doesn't matter how many bumps and things i hit, its a matter of quality on construction. actually, one of mine broke this weekend. so gotta send that back in for repairs. it costs $30 to repair. about a 2 week turn around...

overall though, i love my cutouts!!! but its sometimes not worth the hassle...

my dyno vid link below in my sig has ONE cutout open, so u'll kinda hear how she sounds... enjoy!
Aj
AJ
How do you feel that we dont know how to build them correctly? You already stated that you rub and bang them on the car. How do you expect any part to last long if it is abused like that. We build a top notch unit and have over 10,000 units out in the market place. When installed correctly there are no issues. So please correct your install issue before pointing the finger at the manufacturer.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Morzoff
Safety Car

I have them also

Old 07-21-2005, 12:57 PM
pewterwest99
Drifting

How much do these things cost at QTP?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewterwest99
How much do these things cost at QTP?
$364.99 for the 3" duals... I'm DEFINITELY doing this when I get my LG LT's!!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:05 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Quick Time
AJ
How do you feel that we dont know how to build them correctly? You already stated that you rub and bang them on the car. How do you expect any part to last long if it is abused like that. We build a top notch unit and have over 10,000 units out in the market place. When installed correctly there are no issues. So please correct your install issue before pointing the finger at the manufacturer.
hold on a sec here...im not bashing u guys. i LOVE my QTP's, don't get me wrong ok... but seriously, the "tape" or what ever u use to hold the motor on to the assembly/shaft, just is not strong enough. i have had to taken them off numerous times and re-tape, glue, anything to hold it on! i used super glue this time after u guys repaired one of mine, and that one is still holding strong! the other one, broke again...in which i will soon be sending in to fix...

and with the rubbing, i know, its my fault, i have no problems with that, and really, i don't think its the rubbing that is causing the tape to fall off...the motor/flap assembly is all one peice...bumping/rubbing will cause the whole thing to move, not individual pieces.

i didn't mean to insult you guys or your products. i love them very much and if i could, i would put them on all my vehicles...
please accept my apologies...
Aj

P.S: did u watch the vid..did u hear that! lord knows how many times i have been complimented on the sound of the car..all thanks to QTP!
Aj
Old 07-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Quick Time
Racer

AJ
Rubbing and bumping will cause the internals of the motor to go bad. That is why we stress the location and clearance of the units. The rubber is just a cosmetic peice. Sounds like you have it a little to close the pipe. Either way we can help you out on the repair.

For a C5 you would only buy the vales for $304.99 and have a muffler shop make the cutouts on the pipe. Stick cars have a different location than automatics.

And you want we have a complete system. Cutouts already mounted for 6 spd cars.

IMO our system will give the most power across the board and put down the ETs! Not just on the dyno.

If anyone has questions feel free to call us.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:19 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have mine in the same spot as Rajin Cajun. I love 'em. FWIW- I took out my cig. lighter and put the switch in it's place.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Ragin'Cajun
Pro

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
I have mine in the same spot as Rajin Cajun. I love 'em. FWIW- I took out my cig. lighter and put the switch in it's place.
As for the switch, I have it where the cig. lighter was too now. But I originally had it mounted where the extra outlet in the console is located. I just moved it for easier access and I prefer putting my cell in the console to charge while I drive instead of having it sit in the cup holder and flying around while I drive.

Here is a pic of the switch in my console, I have not taken any more pics since I moved it.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:48 PM
boatboatboat
Drifting

QTP do you offer installs?

Sounds like if the install is done 100% right (I have an a-4), then you have a great product, that works quite well.

What would the cost be INSTALLED be on an auto with GHL's.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
1 BAD BURB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Barry
where would u suggest placing the cutout on a A4 car? mine is currently under the tranny pan. a very dangerous spot i may add, but i didn't do this install. bought the car that way. i would love to re-located it no matter how much it cost. the bumping/rubbing not only keeps killing my cutouts, they put a slight dent in the tranny pan as well...the slight dent may turn into a hole if i hit the thing hard enough!!!

thanks again Barry...and my apologies....
Aj

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Cut-outs - Who's got 'em?

Old 07-21-2005, 04:46 PM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Mine are exactly like this:

http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/edbon.htm

I installed the switch in my gauge pod
Old 07-21-2005, 05:22 PM
xlr8shn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vettenovice
1) I bought my McCord cutouts for $210 and then paid another $50 at a local muffler shop for them to construct the plumbing.

2) Not too many places to install these on the bottom of the C5. Most ppl install them close to the back of the car which is waaaay behind all of the cats and O2 sensors. No interference there. I did this mod for the ability to make my car hell-of-a loud and then back to stock quietness at the push of a button. I think the C5 exhaust setup is pretty free flowing already so not sure the HP gain if any from cutouts.

3) We have no inspections here in Iowa. Don't know how picky other states are...
Old 07-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragin'Cajun
I have some QTP cut outs......It is a great mod in my opinion.
Ragin'Cajun

Do you have any other pics more directly under the car? I would like to get abetter view of where you have them.

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Electronic Cut-outs - Who's got 'em?