C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tire/tire pressure sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:34 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Default Track tire/tire pressure sensor issue

Having seen posts about this issue (you put track tires on your car without tire pressure sensors for track use and the computers impair your C6's performance), I began calling around, as I have a C6 on order.

I talked with Chuck Mallett of Mallett Cars, Ltd. He was very definitive about this issue and knows lots of folks at Chevrolet. The ONLY way to deal with the problem is to have a set of track tires with a separate set of sensors in them and to reprogram the sensors when you put on the track tires. The system cannot be fully defanged. The problem is wheels must be machined to accept the new sensors as track wheels do not come machined to hold the sensors. Mallett does offer wheels machined for the sensors, although he's heavily backlogged.

The GOOD news Chuck says is that the Helms C6 manual contains a way to repgram the new sensors in a few minutes using the DIC rather than using the expensive tool we've read about in some of these other threads and you do not need to drive around to get things set--you do the reset and you are ready to go.

If anyone has the Helms C6 manual, perhaps you could find and post this information.

While this makes my C5-Z06 seem much easier to use on the track, I guess this will work. Thanks, Chuck. Maybe I'll just order a Mallett conversion

Last edited by quick04Z06; 07-19-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:33 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

Wow, do you mean "reduced performance" as in "reduced engine power"? If so, that's ridiculous and strike 2 against the C6 for me. Thanks for this info, I had no idea.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 PM
rex_l
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Having seen posts about this issue (you put track tires on your car without tire pressure sensors for track use and the computers impair your C6's performance), I began calling around, as I have a C6 on order.

I talked with Chuck Mallett of Mallett Cars, Ltd. He was very definitive about this issue and knows lots of folks at Chevrolet. The ONLY way to deal with the problem is to have a set of track tires with a separate set of sensors in them and to reprogram the sensors when you put on the track tires. The system cannot be fully defanged. The problem is wheels must be machined to accept the new sensors as track wheels do not come machined to hold the sensors. Mallett does offer wheels machined for the sensors, although he's heavily backlogged.

The GOOD news Chuck says is that the Helms C6 manual contains a way to repgram the new sensors in a few minutes using the DIC rather than using the expensive tool we've read about in some of these other threads and you do not need to drive around to get things set--you do the reset and you are ready to go.

If anyone has the Helms C6 manual, perhaps you could find and post this information.

While this makes my C5-Z06 seem much easier to use on the track, I guess this will work. Thanks, Chuck. Maybe I'll just order a Mallett conversion
I am interested in this but I don't think right now that this information is accurate.

I have had 3 C6's. Two of them would ignore the sensors after time and the third will not and if they are missing they shut the car down. I don't know anyone at GM, but I do know about these facts with my own cars.

Additionally, I have not found any way to train new sensors like the C5's used to. I am guessing, but I think if the Helms service manual says you can train them through the DIC that it is wrong and likely a holdover from the C5. I would like to be wrong instead.

The service tool, according to the learning procedure is required and the best part of all is that it is NOT available from GM yet!!! Maybe in August ... $500.

Please post a new thread if you find a way to program the new sensors without this tool ... allot of us need this information and I for one hope there is a way.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
The problem is wheels must be machined to accept the new sensors as track wheels do not come machined to hold the sensors. Mallett does offer wheels machined for the sensors, although he's heavily backlogged.
What specifically do you mean by track wheels? Would a set of C5 Z06 wheels work?
Bill
Old 07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

This should help. By the way, the special GM tool, is the big magnet.

Tire Pressure Sensor Learn
Tools Required
J 41760 Tire Pressure Sensor Activating Tool

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), driver information center (DIC), radio frequency transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the sensor learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after a tire pressure sensor replacement, or RCDLR replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (ID) codes can be learned into the RCDLR's memory.

When a magnet is held close to the sensor, an internal switch is closed forcing the sensor to transmit. After the RCDLR has received a sensor transmission, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp indicating the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn each sensor's ID in the proper sequence in order to determine sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to LF, the second to RF, third to RR, and forth to LR.

The learn mode will cancel if the ignition is turned OFF, more than 1 minute has passed and no sensor IDs have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes have passed for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is cancelled before any sensor IDs are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored IDs and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first sensor ID, all previously stored IDs are erased from the RCDLRs memory.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Press the DIC RESET button in order to clear any warning messages.
Press and release the OPTIONS button until the display is blank.
Press and hold the RESET button for 3 seconds.

Important
If the DIC does not display the TIRE TRAINING message, ensure the TPM option is enabled in the RCDLR. Refer to LINK 59472 .

Press and release the OPTIONS button until TIRE TRAINING is displayed.
Press and release the RESET button and LEARN L FRONT TIRE is displayed, verifying the learn mode has been enabled.

Important
If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the sensor activating tool.

Starting at the left front sensor, hold the J 41760 over the valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 7 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear
Turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1463502
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 07-19-2005, 05:30 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SMOKNC6Z06

You sure about that? My understanding is that the magnet trick does *not* work on C6s. Although I recall reading that the sensors can be excited with a drop in tire pressure?

Also-just as an additional data point to Rex's above statement-I brought my street wheels/tires to the track (gotta have rains!) and the car picked them up every time I was in the pits-so no issues with no sensors on the track rubber rims.

Would be interesting to get some more data points on this.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tools Required

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), driver information center (DIC), radio frequency transmitting pressure sensor in each wheel/tire assembly, and the serial data circuit to perform the sensor learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after a tire pressure sensor replacement, or RCDLR replacement. Once the learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (ID) codes can be learned into the RCDLR's memory.

When a magnet is held close to the sensor, an internal switch is closed forcing the sensor to transmit. After the RCDLR has received a sensor transmission, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp indicating the sensor has transmitted its ID and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn each sensor's ID in the proper sequence in order to determine sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to LF, the second to RF, third to RR, and forth to LR.

The learn mode will cancel if the ignition is turned OFF, more than 1 minute has passed and no sensor IDs have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes have passed for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is cancelled before any sensor IDs are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored IDs and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first sensor ID, all previously stored IDs are erased from the RCDLRs memory.

Important
If the DIC does not display the TIRE TRAINING message, ensure the TPM option is enabled in the RCDLR. Refer to LINK 59472 .

Press and release the RESET button and LEARN L FRONT TIRE is displayed, verifying the learn mode has been enabled.

Important
If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds, remove then reinstall the sensor activating tool.

Starting at the left front sensor, hold the J 41760 over the valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 7 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1463502
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Unfortunately, that's the C5 procedure, and it doesn't work on the C6. Is that what the Helms manual says to do?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:39 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRotary
Wow, do you mean "reduced performance" as in "reduced engine power"? If so, that's ridiculous and strike 2 against the C6 for me. Thanks for this info, I had no idea.
Had to use a standard stem while new is on order and as a result can't shut of AH, keeps saying right front flat, a saftey issue.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:10 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

OK, just so I understand: the car is not immobilized, but it forces you to keep the nanny on. If this is correct, can you still do Comp mode (AH still on), or is it forcing both TC and AH? Thanks

EDIT: of course, this is only 1 tire. Wonder what happens when it reads all 4 tires flat? Then again, immobilizing the car would probably defeat the whole purpose of having "Extended Mobility" tires

Last edited by TTRotary; 07-19-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TTRotary
OK, just so I understand: the car is not immobilized, but it forces you to keep the nanny on. If this is correct, can you still do Comp mode (AH still on), or is it forcing both TC and AH? Thanks

EDIT: of course, this is only 1 tire. Wonder what happens when it reads all 4 tires flat? Then again, immobilizing the car would probably defeat the whole purpose of having "Extended Mobility" tires
Only thing that can be turned off is traction.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:12 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tools Required

Important

Important

Right front
Right rear
Left rear

Document ID# 1463502
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
That procedure is not for the C6, it is for the C5. For one thing, the C6 doesn't have a way to turn on the ignition without starting the engine. For another, there is no tire training message in the DIC. The actual C6 tire sensor training sequence is as follows:

Tools Required
J-46079 Tire Pressure Monitor Diagnostic Tool

, or

TPM Learn Mode Description
The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), keyless entry transmitter, 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after each tire rotation, RCDLR replacement, or tire pressure sensor replacement. Once the TPM learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (ID) codes can be learned into the RCDLR's memory. When the RCDLR receives a sensor's transmission, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it's ID code and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper order to determine sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear.

Sensor Functions Using J-41760
Each sensor has an internal magnetic reed switch. When the J 41760 sensor activating tool is held close to a sensor, the reed switch closes, activating the sensor. The sensor responds to a magnetic activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Sensor Function Using J-46079
Each sensor has an internal low frequency (LF) coil. When the J-46079 TPM tool is used in activate mode it produces an LF transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an LF activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

TPM Learn Mode Cancellation
The RCDLR will cancel the TPM learn mode if more than 1 minute passes and no sensors have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes pass for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is cancelled before any sensor IDs are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored IDs and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first sensor ID, all previously stored IDs are erased from the RCDLR's memory.

Select the ACC position on the ignition switch.
Simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitter lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp sounds, indicating the TPM learn mode has been enabled.
Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds using either tool, repeat step 1.

Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 TPM tool against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the Activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or hold the J 41760 sensor activating tool over the left front valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear
After the left rear sensor is learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensor IDs have been learned.
Select the OFF position on the ignition switch to exit the TPM learn mode.

Document ID# 1550440
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 07-20-2005, 07:33 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for posting shopdog.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:55 AM
rex_l
Advanced

Originally Posted by shopdog
That procedure is not for the C6, it is for the C5. For one thing, the C6 doesn't have a way to turn on the ignition without starting the engine. For another, there is no tire training message in the DIC. The actual C6 tire sensor training sequence is as follows:

Tools Required

, or

The tire pressure monitor (TPM) system uses the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR), body control module (BCM), keyless entry transmitter, 4 radio frequency transmitting pressure sensors, and the serial data circuit to perform the TPM learn mode functions. The sensor learn procedure must be performed after each tire rotation, RCDLR replacement, or tire pressure sensor replacement. Once the TPM learn mode has been enabled, each of the sensors unique identification (ID) codes can be learned into the RCDLR's memory. When the RCDLR receives a sensor's transmission, it sends a serial data message to the BCM to sound a horn chirp. This verifies the sensor has transmitted it's ID code and the RCDLR has received and learned it. The RCDLR must learn the sensor IDs in the proper order to determine sensor location. The first learned ID is assigned to the left front location, the second to right front, the third to right rear and the fourth to left rear.

Each sensor has an internal magnetic reed switch. When the J 41760 sensor activating tool is held close to a sensor, the reed switch closes, activating the sensor. The sensor responds to a magnetic activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

Each sensor has an internal low frequency (LF) coil. When the J-46079 TPM tool is used in activate mode it produces an LF transmission that activates the sensor. The sensor responds to an LF activation by transmitting in learn mode. When the RCDLR receives a learn mode transmission while in TPM learn mode, it will assign that sensor's ID to the location on the vehicle relative to the order in which it was learned.

The RCDLR will cancel the TPM learn mode if more than 1 minute passes and no sensors have been learned, or if more than 5 minutes pass for the entire procedure. If the learn mode is cancelled before any sensor IDs are learned, the RCDLR will remember all previously stored IDs and their locations. As soon as the RCDLR learns the first sensor ID, all previously stored IDs are erased from the RCDLR's memory.

Simultaneously press the keyless entry transmitter lock and unlock buttons until a horn chirp sounds, indicating the TPM learn mode has been enabled.
Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 15 seconds using either tool, repeat step 1.

Starting with the left front tire, hold the antenna of the J-46079 TPM tool against the tire sidewall close to the wheel rim at the valve stem location then press and release the Activate button and wait for a horn chirp, or hold the J 41760 sensor activating tool over the left front valve stem until a horn chirp sounds.
After the horn chirp sounds, proceed as in step 3 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
Right front
Right rear
Left rear
After the left rear sensor is learned, a double horn chirp will sound indicating all sensor IDs have been learned.

Document ID# 1550440
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Old 07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Anybody know the part number for the tool?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
GentleBen
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
Wounded Warrior Escort '11
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Flareside
Anybody know the part number for the tool?
And its' price?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:29 AM
jterp
Racer

I'm lost.
You mean you can't just change your tires? Ugh.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
rex_l
Advanced

Originally Posted by GentleBen
And its' price?
$450-500

Get notified of new replies

To Track tire/tire pressure sensor issue

Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by jimman
Only thing that can be turned off is traction.
so then what's the big deal?

i hope noone's foolish enough to turn off AH at the 1/4 track. and most of us should be running real tracks with AH on as well.

does it really rob power? if so how does it do it?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog

Tools Required

, or

Right front
Right rear
Left rear

Document ID# 1550440
2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Where did this come from? Was it from the Helms manual, or elsewhere?

If this is accurate, then we are back to buying some stupid device. Chuck was adamant that there was a way to do reprogramming without a device. I may call him back.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phantasms
so then what's the big deal?

i hope noone's foolish enough to turn off AH at the 1/4 track. and most of us should be running real tracks with AH on as well.

does it really rob power? if so how does it do it?
you bet, was in the twisties with a Corvette group and it just shuts you down when in hard corners.

Quick Reply: Track tire/tire pressure sensor issue