Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] "Ring Time is IN, let the bragging begin

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Retired GM Engr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Ring Time is IN, let the bragging begin

Per other thread post, Dave Hill on Sat., July 16 says it's real, 7:43 by Jan Magnussen.

My post (and repeated previous post) in a thread started last May is shown below.
Needs three corrections. A Swedish flag. Substitute "Sweden" and "Jan Magnussen". Ruins the rhyming.
Nobody is perfect.

I think a low 7:40's is possible with a really clean lap, experienced driver, GOOD tires.
Under 7:40 and I will be TOTALLY AMAZED.

And, to close out the longest post in Forum history,
my repeat from the other thread we hi-jacked.
I changed the original 7:50 to 7:45 below.

With apologies to Chuck Berry, and his "Johnny B. Goode",
and a fevered wish for a 7:40. OK, I'll settle for a 7:45.

Deep down Bavaria close to Nurburg town
Way back up in the farms among the evergreens
There stood a track made of curves and straightsy
Where a American boy named Johnny W. Heinricy
Who had really learned to brake and turn so well
He could play the Corvette just like a ringing a bell

Go go
Go Johnny go
Go
Go Johnny go
Go
Go Johnny go
Go
Go Johnny go
Go
Johnny W. Heinricy
Old 07-17-2005, 08:38 AM
rockettc
Racer

Who says Xmas only comes once a year! Fantastic!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:00 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Retired GM Engr
Per other thread post, Dave Hill on Sat., July 16 says it's real, 7:43 by Jan Magnussen.

I think a low 7:40's is possible with a really clean lap, experienced driver, GOOD tires...
Good prediction, Engineer.

Even better, the low 7:4X you predicted was done on stock (C6Z06) tires.

Truly impressive.

Now we need the Chevy spec on the quartermile.

I doubt Chevy will release a top speed more specific than the "over 190" we have already.

Ranger
Old 07-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Another Yellow
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Now who said 7:43 back on July 5th? Was it "Another Yellow"? See post # 7 here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1129640

And weren't there some people saying it was the "Blue Devil" and not a regular production Z06?

Frank
Old 07-17-2005, 11:16 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Another Yellow
Now who said 7:43 back on July 5th? Was it "Another Yellow"? See post # 7 here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1129640

And weren't there some people saying it was the "Blue Devil" and not a regular production Z06?

Frank

Another Yellow was the first one to nail the actual time.

And Ivan111 was the one who was closest with his original prediction back in December of mid to low 7:40s.

December predictions here:

Chris Draper: "My guess would be that the new Z06 will be around [7:52]..."

GeneCamaro: "I think the C6 Z06 will be a sub 7:50 car on street tires...."

ivan111: "I expect the Z06 to be easily in the 7:40's range......Something between mid to low 7:40's........"

Yano: "I am thinking more like low 50's and maybe break into the high 40's. If its a low 40 WOW"

K-TownMike: "Low 7:40's is a stretch, but I think we will see it in the high 40's for sure."

Scissors and Zivnuska: "7:45 is my guesstimate."
So Ivan111 won on the original predictions and Zivnuska and I tied for 2nd place.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1&postcount=26

Originally Posted by Scissors
The article which the 7:40 time comes from states:

Gerade erst GT1-Klassensieger in Le Mans, gab Jan Magnusson kurz darauf am Nürburgring Gas. Mit der Corvette Z06 sollte der Rundenrekord fallen - knackige Werbung für die neue Sport-Corvette. Doch mehr als gute 7.40 Minuten war nicht drin. Der Nordschleifen-Rekord für Serienautos hält weiterhin ein Donkervoort RS: 7.18.01!

So if someone can translate that correctly, you'll have an answer. Some say that it translates to "not quite 7:40" and others state that it says "no better than 7:40."

Best as I can tell, it's just saying that it couldn't do better than 7:40. Not that it specifically did 7:40

Originally Posted by Tom Steele
I see an alternate reading in this that could support the 7:43 time.

You know how I might say that Ranger ran 11's in his C5 Z06... I don't mean he ran 11.00 seconds, I mean he got 11.99 or better.

"...a good 7:40" could be 7:43 - kind of like "a low 7:40" or something along those lines.

Originally Posted by Zlicious
I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this translation.

"More than a good 7:40 wasnt in it"

Meaning, "The car was not able to pull of more than a good time of 7:40"..I don't know, this just seems logical to me, as I read it atleast 10x over and over.

or

"The car was not able to pull of more than a 7:40, which is a good time"

It seems like the bottom line is that they are stating the 7:40 is a good time, but it was not good enough ("Wasn't in it") to beat the ultimate record holder, which is, 7:18.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

It was only logical, as some agreed with me..
Old 07-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Zlicious
It was only logical, as some agreed with me..
I'm just busting on you a little, but at the time it sure felt like you were busting on me with the I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this translation.

I stood down then, since I was merely making an observation on how it could be read to be a 7:43, but I wasn't certain by any means.

Old 07-17-2005, 01:06 PM
05C6spdvert
Drifting

For the third time, simply outstanding!
Old 07-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Jeo
Racer

for the past 5-6 months you guys have been debating this and when finally the time comes out you just jump to who was right and not actually talk about it. I love this place -Jeo
Old 07-17-2005, 07:33 PM
GeneCamaro
Racer

That's pretty amazing. Teh C6 Z06 is faster than everything but a handful of cars.... some which aren't stock. Insane.... Takes out the gallardo and runs with a Murci. All that on runflats..... wow.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

So, basically, it's equal to the TechArt 996 GT2 Porsche @~620 HP on that track.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:42 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I hate to act like I'm raining on anyones parade, but these times are pretty meaningless. They are not sanctioned, there is no allowance for weather conditions, and who knows what other cars run - it's not like they all post their times. And there is a huge difference in driver skill on a track like that.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 PM
Zlicious
Drifting

I'm just busting on you a little, but at the time it sure felt like you were busting on me with the I don't understand what is so hard to understand about this translation.

I stood down then, since I was merely making an observation on how it could be read to be a 7:43, but I wasn't certain by any means.

I certainly don't remember trying to "bust" on you at all. I was simply stating that my opinion, which was, I did not understand what is so hard to understand about that translation. It was not refered to anyone, just something that came first to mind after reading the translation.

Anywho, it's all good. Now, if you were a Viper owner..
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 PM
EuG
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I hate to act like I'm raining on anyones parade, but these times are pretty meaningless. They are not sanctioned, there is no allowance for weather conditions, and who knows what other cars run - it's not like they all post their times. And there is a huge difference in driver skill on a track like that.
absolutely.

I think what this low time shows is that new Z06 is not be be f**ked with
...but a valid performance comparison to other cars it's not

I personally do think new Z06 will beat the above mentioned cars (Murcialago, Porsche GT2, Ferraries, etc), but if you want to a valid comparison: test back to back on the same day, with no traffic and by same driver preferably....
Old 07-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

Did we establish which tires were on the car when it ran?
Old 07-17-2005, 11:36 PM
rockettc
Racer

Originally Posted by jschindler
Depends how you look at these times. Every manufacturer wants the best time possible. So you want the best weather and the best driver you can possibly have. In the case of the Corvette, it's a pretty good guide(not perfect) as to how the C5, the C5 Z, the C6 and C6Z compare to each other. And it's a guide (not the guide) to how it compares with other cars.

Some suggest that ideally you should have the same driver test all the cars under the same conditions. I still don't think this is ideal because the driver could be more comfortable, more adept, or have more experience driving one type of car than another. You can't eliminate the human factor. If every manufacturer gets the best driver they can then it is more like a race where you want the best driver driving your car.

Will GM sell more Zs with a great 'Ring time? That's why they go there and why they quote a time. If GM doesn't quote a time then some magazine will test it and report a time that probably won't be as good.

Also having Jan Magnesson drive the car makes a better story than having a magazine driver. Just watch, Jan will be quoted as saying that driving the 'Ring in the new Z was just like driving the C6R at Le Mans or something like that. And how can you argue with him if you haven't driven a C6R? (I'm sure someone on this forum will!)

Bottom line, to some it is extremely meaningful and to others not. To some it is meaningful as a comparison to other cars, to others it is meaningful that GM actually went to Germany to develop and test the Z and proved themselves by beating most of the major sports car's lap times on their home turf.

Get notified of new replies

To "Ring Time is IN, let the bragging begin

Old 07-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Patrick McDaniel
Did we establish which tires were on the car when it ran?
Can you tell anything from this?

http://www.imageark.net/image.php?id=122940
Old 07-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Patrick McDaniel
Burning Brakes

Can you tell anything from this?

http://www.imageark.net/image.php?id=122940
No. Even if I could they may have changed out at the track.

Thanks for trying though!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:46 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rockettc
Also having Jan Magnesson drive the car makes a better story than having a magazine driver. Just watch, Jan will be quoted as saying that driving the 'Ring in the new Z was just like driving the C6R at Le Mans or something like that. And how can you argue with him if you haven't driven a C6R? (I'm sure someone on this forum will!)

Actually ... he said in the Germanic Car Mag article that it was /// loose at high speed ... and nothing like his Race Car. Said it was plenty powerful ... with more than 500 HP ... but, it was exhausting to drive and flat wore him out.

Quick Reply: [Z06] "Ring Time is IN, let the bragging begin