C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing driver side turn signal bulb

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 02:00 AM
sfrob
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing driver side turn signal bulb

I removed the shroud from around the headlamp. I pull on the grey plastic but it wont budge. Is there a locking mechanism or a certain way to remove it? I dont want to break it and have to vist the dealer again for my semi monthly donation
Old 07-17-2005, 02:06 AM
NocarbutaVetteforme
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

The easiest way to change the bulb is to get to it from underneath. If you jack it up and put it on stands you can see where part of the black shroud will unscrew. I think there are about 7-8 screws holding it in place. Once you take these out and remove the piece you can reach right up and remove/replace the bulb. Installation is the reverse. You can pick the bulbs at Walmart pretty cheap too. Good luck on your project.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:06 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by sfrob
I removed the shroud from around the headlamp. I pull on the grey plastic but it wont budge. Is there a locking mechanism or a certain way to remove it? I dont want to break it and have to vist the dealer again for my semi monthly donation

twist and pull....
Old 07-17-2005, 12:18 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Originally Posted by sfrob
Below is an email I wrote some time back, and describes the "top down" method. Bottom up works too, but I didn't want to crawl under.

Changing the bulb is pretty easy, even easier if you have small hands.

Raise the hood. Look for the large black **** next to the headlight. It has a rubber cap on it that says, "Remove for manual operation". Remove the cap and crank up the headlight. Yes, you can raise the headlight electrically, but you risk draining your battery while you're replacing the bulb.

Remove the black plastic cowling around the headlight. There are three small screws - avoid dropping them into the engine compartment -. You (or person with smaller hands) now have room to reach down to where the turn signal bulb is located. It's a bayonet type mount meaning a 1/2 turn should disengage it. Then remove the old bulb and install the new one. CAUTION - do not touch the glass on the new bulb. Doing so will ruin it due to the acid in/on your fingers. Reinstall the fixture in it's mounting hole.

Turn on the ignition and check to see that the turn signal is operating properly - DO NOT turn on the headlights! Next, replace the headlight cowling, and manually lower the headlight. Replace the rubber cap on the ****, and you're done!

The part number for the bulb can be found in the back of your owners manual.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
corvettejaune
Advanced

Default bulb

I have change my bulb anad the number ove the bulb is #3157

regard
Old 07-17-2005, 01:16 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This is great timing! Mine burned out just last night.
Ed
Old 07-17-2005, 01:29 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by corvettejaune

regard

Is this the stock bulb? Thanks!
Ed
Old 07-17-2005, 03:04 PM
C5-BRUCE
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettejaune

regard
If I recall, the part number listed in the owners manual, likey the one listed in the quote above, is the same bulb for the running lights as it is for the turn signals. The running light is amber, and (I think) is designated with either an "A" or "AM" as a suffex to the part number?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:01 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by C5-BRUCE
If I recall, the part number listed in the owners manual, likey the one listed in the quote above, is the same bulb for the running lights as it is for the turn signals. The running light is amber, and (I think) is designated with either an "A" or "AM" as a suffex to the part number?

My owners manual lists 3057 as the bulb model. That was wrong. The bulb that was installed was an amber 3157. Went up to Kmart, bought a pack and replaced both sides as long as I was doing it. I was just able to jam my wrist through the brake duct using surgeons gloves with some powder. It hurt, but I got it done. It took about a minute for each side.
Ed
Old 07-18-2005, 09:05 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
MattB
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NocarbutaVetteforme
The easiest way to change the bulb is to get to it from underneath. If you jack it up and put it on stands you can see where part of the black shroud will unscrew. I think there are about 7-8 screws holding it in place. Once you take these out and remove the piece you can reach right up and remove/replace the bulb. Installation is the reverse. You can pick the bulbs at Walmart pretty cheap too. Good luck on your project.
This is the best way to do it for me My arms just would not fit in throught the brake ducts or the headlights. Removing the screws is a lot easier than it sounds, just as easy as taking the headlights apart.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:53 PM
sfrob
5th Gear

Default Turn signal for 2000 C5

Ok I finally changed the halogen lamp. Is that the turn signal? Well it didnt work. All the other lights work but the left front turn signal wont work. Is there a fuse for just the turn signals. Its kinda hard as the owners manual is in Florida and I'm in California. Any ideas

Last edited by sfrob; 07-23-2005 at 06:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Get notified of new replies

To Changing driver side turn signal bulb

Quick Reply: Changing driver side turn signal bulb