C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

rear view mirror rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
dbriana
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear view mirror rattle

I have a '91, with the windows down unless road is perfectly smooth, I can hear a rattle/vibration noise from both rear view mirrors. Its consistent but slight noise. Is this normal? Is there a fix or an adjustment? And when shutting doors always hear the mirror hit. Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It is NOT normal.

The mirror is held onto the motor by a trunion; if you tilt the mirror inward & down you can get a finger or screw driver behind the trunion and pry it out to release the mirror.

Then examine the two motor retainer screws; if not snug, tighten them to stop the rattle. If they are snug, replace the trunion; MAM has them I believe.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Steel Blue 91
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 65Z01
It is NOT normal.

The mirror is held onto the motor by a trunion; if you tilt the mirror inward & down you can get a finger or screw driver behind the trunion and pry it out to release the mirror.

Then examine the two motor retainer screws; if not snug, tighten them to stop the rattle. If they are snug, replace the trunion; MAM has them I believe.
I had the same issue with mine. I did as 65Z01 suggested and it eliminated the worst of the rattle. I also rerouted the harness inside the mirror (it was hitting the inside of the mirror) to take care of the rest of the rattle.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could also be the mirror housing rattling against the door. Remove the door panel and use a ratchet and extension to snug up the mirror mount bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To rear view mirror rattle

Quick Reply: rear view mirror rattle