C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs a few seconds then dies

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 07:44 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Runs a few seconds then dies

I have been working on this car since I bought it (not running new motor)but now have it started. I had a new PCM installed and sent the BCM to get it hooked up and checked out with the PCM. I had a new ignition switch installed and by passed the VATS system also the TAC has been replaced. Now the problem is it will start right up with no effort at all then it runs great for a few seconds idles rough then dies. I checked fuel pressure and it is a constant 50psi. It sounds as if it is running out of gas when it dies. But then again it smells a like it is running rich. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:24 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Just went out and pulled the codes. Had a ton of "H" I wrote them down the cleared them. Started it it ran about 9 seconds then died. I pulled codes again and the only code that came back is PCM P1637 H. I also have no com with the right door it seems Makes sense since the window or nothing works on that door.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

the fuel pressure should be a constant 60 psi. Also, I am wondering if the OE alarm system has been initiated...

VR
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Any way to bypass it to find out if this is the problem?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

I dont know of a bypass... although those symptoms sound like the alarm/fuel cut off system is activated. I guess it might be a good place to start.

VR
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
I dont know of a bypass... although those symptoms sound like the alarm/fuel cut off system is activated. I guess it might be a good place to start.

VR

You said that your VATS is bypassed right now, is that correct?

If so maybe you need to unbypass it to see what happens.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:45 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Just went out and un bypassed the VATS same thing happened.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Had a fuel pressure gauge on it all night and it held fuel pressure when it starts it is about 58psi not the 50 I stated. It smells of heavy exhaust when it is running and when it starts to die out you can flutter the gas pedal and it reves somewhat before it dies. If it was the alarm system killing it wouldnt I lose fuel pressure at the shrader valve?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:12 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Ok I have now seen that there was the steering wheel lock bypass done on it from GM. Could this have anything to do with it? Im running out of ideas here to look for.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:58 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

CA Events Coordinator

Are you sure the computer program correct? and it is communicating with the bcm correctly?

VR
Old 06-20-2005, 11:23 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

yep sent both of them off together to get them married up. The shop said all looks good and this shouldnt be the problem. But like I said this is a new never run engine Im begining to thing GM didnt hook something up right. For one there is a plug at the rear of the intake looks to be 2 wires LT Blue and DRK Blue. It isnt plugged into anything. So I guess I need to start another thread of "Name This Plug" the new game show.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hot90
Had a fuel pressure gauge on it all night and it held fuel pressure when it starts it is about 58psi not the 50 I stated. It smells of heavy exhaust when it is running and when it starts to die out you can flutter the gas pedal and it reves somewhat before it dies. If it was the alarm system killing it wouldnt I lose fuel pressure at the shrader valve?
So you're saying that you're seeing 58psi even as the engine starts to stutter and die? Correct?

That code you mentioned appears to be related to the 'Generator' (Alternator I presume). It might just not have the 'signal' wire from the alternator hooked up (there is a small gauge wire/weatherpack connector on the alternator). There's a large sensor on the back of the intake which I believe is 2 wires, this is the oil pressure sensor. Maybe the car dies because it's 'seeing' no oil pressure?

I can tell you that when the car is in 'anti-theft mode', the engine will never run. It just starts for a split second and dies. No amount of throttle does anything. Just a quick fire and then the fuel pressure goes away and it dies. It also sets a specific code, which you don't appear to be getting.

Considering the weird code, the lack of the passenger door working, and the finding of random unplugged harnesses - it could be anything. I'd check and double check the PCM and BCM connections as a start.

Dope
Old 06-21-2005, 01:58 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh and btw, read this thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...036&forum_id=1

Not the same code, but it's pretty close which makes me wonder. Maybe try the re-synch procedure that I describe. It couldn't hurt.

Dope
Old 06-21-2005, 02:08 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Yes it has fuel pressure all the time when it starts and when it dies.Well the altinator code is now gone seems the belt had not been put back on. It looked on but was not. Cleared codes again and no more code. Checked the right door and plugged replugged in the connectors all works fine there now also. But still starts runs about 10 sec and dies. There is a connector on the back drivers side of the intake that is not connected to anything. Looking to see what that goes to now. Thanks for the replys every step helps.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Post a pic of the connector if you can't figure it out. Even if I can't identify it I can just take a look at my car.

Dope
Old 06-21-2005, 02:21 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

The unknown connector here. This is more to the drivers side and to the very back by the firewall. Anyone know?
Old 06-21-2005, 02:26 AM
brandon1566
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

same thing happend to my car tonight!! Im angry I sent it in for the column lock bypass because I got a recall in the mail it was a mistake. the car starts and runs for a few seconds if you touch the gas it will kill and computer says service column lock system

Get notified of new replies

To Runs a few seconds then dies

Old 06-21-2005, 09:16 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hot90
Ok I have now seen that there was the steering wheel lock bypass done on it from GM. Could this have anything to do with it? Im running out of ideas here to look for.

Check out these posts. I had the exact same symptom.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...r&forum_id=103

Good Luck.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:34 AM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Read all the posts WOW what a trip you had to fix yours. You said "It turns out it was a mechanical problem with the pins on the column lock, not directly related to the recall. " Do you know what they did to fix this?
Old 06-21-2005, 12:38 PM
ABNVET.I
Melting Slicks

Did the resync of the PCM BCM 15min on 30 sec of 3 times. Same problem. After the resync I start it it runs fine for a few seconds the dies i check the codes immediately and get PCM P0102 H that is because I have the MAF disconnected at this time. The only other code I get it RFA U1016 Loss of Communication with PCM. But if I clear it it goes away. I still find it odd it dies when I have 58psi of fuel pressure all the time. That never changes.

Last edited by ABNVET.I; 06-21-2005 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Runs a few seconds then dies