Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

The answer for scratch, waterspot removal (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default The answer for scratch, waterspot removal (pics)

Put up a post on my web page c6.81x.com so there's a little review there for future reference. Just had to post up my fantastic results with 3M Fine Cut rubbing compound.

Details on my web page, click on the "scratch rmvl" tab.

Briefly, had this Mercedes ML350 outside for the past 3 years totally unprotected, practically never waxed. Not shielded from sun or rain. The result -- AWFUL water spotting on the hood, not really a problem elsewhere. Had tried everything with no results.

Here's how the hood looked even AFTER a very careful washing and immediate drying, not allowing any spotting to occur. The spots you see are the PERMANENT ones that are apparently set into the clearcoat. They cannot be removed with any amount of washing.

Here is the article I read which is an EXCELLENT how to on chip and scratch repair. It is where I got the idea to use 3M rubbing compound and swirlmark remover: bettercarcare.com article

Bottom line:
1. washed with dawn dishwashing liquid to remove all coats of wax.
2. dried immediately.
3. rubbed with 3M Perfect-It II Fine Cut Rubbing compound, using terry cloth towel, in circular motion, about a 2' X 2' area at a time, until the compound started to dry.
4. When dry, used a second clean towel to remove the residue and buff. The shine came out as I buffed.
5. Went over the entire hood 4 times -- by then these old water spots were totally gone. Very exhausting and worked up a real sweat but it was worth it.
6. Went over the entire hood one time with the 3M swirlmark remover for dark cars .
7. Waxed with Meguiars NXT Generation TEch wax.

I think the results were astounding.
Here again is the before:

AFTER:

I thought this was worthwhile to post. I'd suggest trying this if you have waterspots or any light, fine scratches in your clear coat. It will also work great if you have to fill in paint chips using touch-up paint, followed by wet sanding. See the article I referenced above for a full how-to on that

You can get the rubbing compound for $12 or so at any on line retailer. clicky clicky so the cost is minimal. It would probably cost you hundreds to have this done by a professional, or to repaint the car.

Quick Reply: The answer for scratch, waterspot removal (pics)