C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:17 PM
dan1home
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?

I am seriously thinking of swapping out the navigation head unit for the Pioneer AVIC-D1. If anyone has pics of this system installed in a C6 I would appreciate it very much if they can post them.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Bville-Bud
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by dan1home
I am seriously thinking of swapping out the navigation head unit for the Pioneer AVIC-D1. If anyone has pics of this system installed in a C6 I would appreciate it very much if they can post them.
Sweet! will that integrate with the GM GPS antenna input?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:30 AM
MagRedC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bud Gordon
Sweet! will that integrate with the GM GPS antenna input?

I don't think the Pioneer unit is available yet. I know that Pioneer had e-mailed me and said that it would be available sometime late May/early June.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:12 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had it done last week, I'll try and get pic's up after work. By the way, the AVIC-D1 is really cool and the sound retaining the Bose Speakers & MP3's is unbelievably good. The add-on GEX-P10XMT XM with XM Traffic is in short supply and we are waiting for that to come in along with a small backup camera. The only thing I didn't care for was how they handled the trim ring-they used shinny ABS so I am going to fab up my own plate this weekend. The GPS antenna is hided in Targa/Roof Support and that's were the XM will go as well.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:45 AM
nascosta
Pro

That AVIC unit is awesome. Post pics of the install please. I love how it has a built in Gmeter and the nav is cool too.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:51 AM
greentank
Burning Brakes

Does it integrate with the HUD like GM's does?
Old 05-25-2005, 12:14 PM
C6Chic
Racer

Originally Posted by AutoCutter
Just had it done last week, I'll try and get pic's up after work. By the way, the AVIC-D1 is really cool and the sound retaining the Bose Speakers & MP3's is unbelievably good. The add-on GEX-P10XMT XM with XM Traffic is in short supply and we are waiting for that to come in along with a small backup camera. The only thing I didn't care for was how they handled the trim ring-they used shinny ABS so I am going to fab up my own plate this weekend. The GPS antenna is hided in Targa/Roof Support and that's were the XM will go as well.

Please do post!! We are thinking of getting this done soon (I am Dan1Home's wife by the way)!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
dan1home
Instructor

If you could post pics today that would be awesome, we are getting ready to have this installed asap. By the way, how much did you pay for the AVIC-D1, I have seen it as low as $1300 in some websites.

Is there a separate piece other than the AVIC-D1 and the GPS antenna that is needed for the GPS to work?
Old 05-25-2005, 04:22 PM
C5ROADRUNNER
Instructor

Did you start out with the GM NAVIGATION system or the 6 disk in dash unit? Does the Pioneer unit work with the heads up display?

If you had the GM NAV, is there an input in the back of the unit for a changer?
Old 05-25-2005, 05:08 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

As promised here is the link to the pictures of the AVIC-D1 installed:

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, the flash was uncooperative!
The install looks way better than the pics!

AVIC-D1 Install

To answer the questions

1. No it does not show in the HUD
2. I had the Bose 6 disk changer
3. The 6 disk does not have an Aux Input
4. The unit requires the same module(s) and wiring as the Chevy Clavier(sp?) w/Bose
5. I can't answer whether the unit could use the GM/Onstar GPS Ant-but I would be surpised if it didn't-how many connectors can there be?
6. This was a semi-custom install so the price was high-the unit alone was 1599 retail and this was the second one they had done!
Old 05-25-2005, 05:28 PM
C6Chic
Racer

As promised here is the link to the pictures of the AVIC-D1 installed:

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, the flash was uncooperative!
The install looks way better than the pics!

AVIC-D1 Install

To answer the questions

4. The unit requires the same module(s) and wiring as the Chevy Clavier(sp?) w/Bose
5. I can't answer whether the unit could use the GM/Onstar GPS Ant-but I would be surpised if it didn't-how many connectors can there be?
6. This was a semi-custom install so the price was high-the unit alone was 1599 retail and this was the second one they had done!
Thanks so much for the pics, we have decided we are doing it tomorrow!!!
We have the GM nav but want to upgrade the head unit since we are upgrading our stereo and sound quality will be better. Will post pics and let you all know how it works when we are done!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:48 PM
dan1home
Instructor

Do you have the Ipod adapter with it? If so, can you still use the Ipod to navigate through music or do you have to use the onscreen controls to control the Ipod?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Topless
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

To answer the questions

I have another question for you -- I'm pretty sure of the answer, but I'd like someone who actually has one to confirm this -- does the D1 play DVDs?
Old 05-26-2005, 07:31 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Topless
I have another question for you -- I'm pretty sure of the answer, but I'd like someone who actually has one to confirm this -- does the D1 play DVDs?

That's a good question, and I must admit that I have not tried. I know the manual allows that a 2nd DVD player can be hooked up and DVD's played. I'll try tonight and see what happens.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:39 AM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Do you have the Ipod adapter with it? If so, can you still use the Ipod to navigate through music or do you have to use the onscreen controls to control the Ipod?
I don't have the IPOD adapter since I don't have a IPOD, but the manual states the head unit takes full control. Once the XM/Traffic adapter comes in, I am having an Aux Input adapter installed with a standard mini jack for my IPAQ 2513. Frankly, I have not found anything yet that doesn't hook up the unit-heck you can hook up a TV Tuner to this thing!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Great information thanks you answered a lot of my questions.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
dan1home
Instructor

I'm getting the AVIC-D1 installed today and the techs told me they are going to rig the unit to play DVDs (while the car is in motion) and they will install a dip switch so that I can use the Navigation while the car is in motion.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?

Old 05-26-2005, 10:38 AM
nascosta
Pro

That's a good question, and I must admit that I have not tried. I know the manual allows that a 2nd DVD player can be hooked up and DVD's played. I'll try tonight and see what happens.
It does play DVDs. A friend has the AVIC installed in a new Tacoma and he had the unit grounded to the Parking brake (or somewhere) which allows you to play a DVD while driving, for passenger enjoyment of course.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

I'm getting the AVIC-D1 installed today and the techs told me they are going to rig the unit to play DVDs (while the car is in motion) and they will install a dip switch so that I can use the Navigation while the car is in motion.
Let me know how they did it. My installer apparently did not activate the parking brake function either, but I get a error message at start up. That message goes away with an okay and I can do everything on the move with the Nav, but if I can cut out the error message I'ed be a happyer boy!
Old 05-26-2005, 12:46 PM
AutoCutter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by nascosta
It does play DVDs. A friend has the AVIC installed in a new Tacoma and he had the unit grounded to the Parking brake (or somewhere) which allows you to play a DVD while driving, for passenger enjoyment of course.

Thanks for posting the pics!
Way cool! Can you get with your friend to see how the installer was able to "see" the praking brake as on?? Oh Please???????

Quick Reply: Anyone have picture of the Pioneer AVIC-D1 installed in a C6?