C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS

Well I decided to check my filter on my Vararam.. It was So I also checked my TB After see a pic Andy from A&A posted I had to check mine... Here are the pics... I am sorry that they are life size I will resize later tonight when i get home...

What should I do? My car is running fine... But I want to make sure everything is ok...what should i check to make sure?

Thanks
Wayne
Old 05-14-2005, 04:38 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

There is nothing you can do.. Just clean it up, and fix the problem going forward..

IMO Vararam should buy the K&N filters in bulk, and they should be the only filters they sell them with.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:41 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Izover4u
Well I decided to check my filter on my Vararam.. It was So I also checked my TB After see a pic Andy from A&A posted I had to check mine... Here are the pics... I am sorry that they are life size I will resize later tonight when i get home...

What should I do? My car is running fine... But I want to make sure everything is ok...what should i check to make sure?

Thanks
Wayne
Well, the first thing you should do is clean everything up and then get a K&N. It's a well-known fact the Vararam itself works well, but their foam filter is "old school" and really sucks. That is the reason, even though I'm leaving some power on the table, I decided to keep my Blackwing and just drill holes in the foglight shrouds. Obviously not as effective as the Vararam, which I believe really works, but some benefit (a bit cooler air mix), without the Vararam downsides. Good luck and hope everything is okay with the car.
Ed
Old 05-15-2005, 12:53 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

My foam filter is still in the plastic bag. I sealed in a K&N with silicone before installing and running the car. You might want to change your oil and take an oil sample. Get a kit from Blackstone to do the sample. Ask for #46 Terry Dyson analysis, it is $35 dollars. Let Terry look at your oil and give you some advice. He is an absolute guru at the oil analysis and won't steer you wrong.

You certainly have a lot of sand and grit, is that from winter driving? I would have expected that more in the southwest like Phoenix or Las Vegas. WOW
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

If you have that there, just imagine what you have in and around your fuel intake area, sitting above your ports. I'm not mechanically inclined enought to do this. but if you are I'd think seriously think about pulling your fuel intake and checking around for any particulate. Not trying to be parnoid, just trying to give some advice.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:11 PM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izover4u

Thanks
Wayne
I don't have a Vararam, I have a stock air box with a K&N filter. After seeing the same thread I decided to check my throttle body... it was spotless, it looked as if the car had just come off the assembly line. I've been using this filter for about 15,000 miles.

You should do something to prevent any futher damage... get another filter in there that will do the job properly.

What ever damage you have at this point is done. My guess is that you have the same damage that people have when they run with no filter. Your engine has been experiancing a mini sand blasting. Going through the enigine... your intake probably has very little injury, your valves most likely have lost a little of there sealing capibibilty due to some pitting on the valve seats & valves. You might have some extra wear on your upper compression rings from pushing some sand & dirt paritcles.

My guess is that none of the above are life threatening to your LS1, you may be slightly decreasing it's chance for a long life. On a positive note... I willing to bet you don't have any carbon build up... it's been sand blasted away.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
There is nothing you can do.. Just clean it up, and fix the problem going forward..

IMO Vararam should buy the K&N filters in bulk, and they should be the only filters they sell them with.
with Dan except for the K&N. I would change breathers. Blackwing or one similar. They have problems with the K&N's filters also.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Well,,,,,,,,I installed my VARARAM a few months ago and after Andys post and then this one, I decided to check my filter and TB.

Here are my photos and thoughts!

Lots of Spring time tree and bush junk and LOTs of sand!!

Check out the PILE of sand in the center.

The TB is clean looking. I have a silicone smoothie coupler. The inside of it has some GRIT that you can feel. The filter works but passes very fine grains of sand!

I am going to find a K&N filter and change the filters! Does anyone know what number K&N filter fits best???

Bill Curlee
Old 05-15-2005, 10:41 PM
BeastieBoys21
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

THIS is the filter
Old 05-15-2005, 11:19 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I urge you to change out to the k+n filter,here's my tb after 8k miles without opening it up!
Don't listen to vararam bashing!( although that foam filter is questionable,I agree,the unit itself is awsome...imho)
Old 05-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flynbya2
Don't listen to vararam bashing!( although that foam filter is questionable,I agree,the unit itself is awsome...imho)
That's hilarious.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:37 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

That's hilarious.

Korreck does this make your day?

Last edited by VLVETTE; 05-15-2005 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by VLVETTE
Korreck does this make your day?
I don't know why it would,my unit came stock with the K+N filter and the picture tells the story ,after 8k miles,so what's so hilarious? That I agree that the foam filter may be inadequate?
Big deal...
Old 05-15-2005, 11:48 PM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

I don't know why it would,my unit came stock with the K+N filter and the picture tells the story ,after 8k miles,so what's so hilarious? That I agree that the foam filter may be inadequate?
Big deal...
Korreck has been on a soap box against the Vararam for quite awhile. Something like this probably gives him a chubby
Old 05-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Big deal...
That you said this unit is awesome. Read the quotes! It's restrictive air flow, doesn't filter and will hydrolock if you drive into a deep puddle. And you said it's awesome. That's what I find hilarious. I guess you don't.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Special K
Safety Car

Korreck has been on a soap box against the Vararam for quite awhile. Something like this probably gives him a chubby
It's nothing that I haven't been saying. Soap box? Just trying to expose that piece of crap for what it is. I don't like companies that have misleading advertising and inferior products. I DON'T LIKE RIP OFFS!

Last edited by Korreck; 05-15-2005 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:08 AM
VLVETTE
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Korreck
That you said this unit is awesome. Read the quotes! It's restrictive air flow, doesn't filter and will hydrolock if you drive into a deep puddle. And you said it's awesome. That's what I find hilarious. I guess you don't.
Give it a break for Christ sake. Why is it so important to you? And what makes you think your opinon is important to others on how bad this filter is and how dumb they are for buying it? I for one am tired of of reading about your qualifications and expertise. Tact and a little consideration for other peoples feelings doesn't seem to be one of the things you learned in your many claimed degrees.

Get notified of new replies

To I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS

Old 05-16-2005, 12:18 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Give it a break for Christ sake. Why is it so important to you? And what makes you think your opinon is important to others on how bad this filter is and how dumb they are for buying it? I for one am tired of of reading about your qualifications and expertise. Tact and a little consideration for other peoples feelings doesn't seem to be one of the things you learned in your many claimed degrees.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Special K
Safety Car

I replied to his comment Vinny. You don't have to read it. It's my opinion and I do live in the United States where I am allowed to express it. Tact is for weenies.

Vararararararm on. I'm going to bed. Night night Vinny.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:35 AM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Korreck
Well, first it does filter well( check my post again, any filter can malfuntion if not installed properly)
Second,if it's restrictive,how do you explain the hp and et gains over your beloved blackwing?( because you seem to be ignoring them altogether,stubborn maybe?)
Look,I'm sure the Blackwing is a fine piece,but I cannot ignore the performance data
Third,lightening can strike most anywhere, but that won't keep me from going outside.
For me,hydrolock is a non issue!! It's never gonna happen... If I lived in area with lots of rainfall and flooding,I may have a different opinion!
If you do, I'm sorry for you! But,that is for each individual to decide for themselves I have a car, not a boat!
So,yes, I believe it is an awsome unit ,if it fits your needs..like mine

Bottom line is,I'm happy with it,,,Is that O.K. with you?

I really do not want to get caught up in a pissing contest with anyone,
so unless I'm insulted...I'm out....for now

This forum is a great place,for the most part! But I think a little more constuctive critcism and maybe just a dash of restraint, rather than bashing every single post, could further it a little more

Quick Reply: I Open my Vararam to check Filter... PLEASE HELP GUYS