C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 01:32 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

After doing a lot of research and making a bunch of phone calls I have a Factory installed Navigation system and an aftermarket XM system that plays through the Nav screen and is installed behind the dash. The XM antennae is underneath the roof, and above the interior roof trim and completly hidden! Here is what I did: Purchased from myradiostore.com part# XMDGM100 XM radio package. It plugs in to the factory harness on the back of the Nav unit. on the harness supplied by myradiostore I had to make a jumper from the Light Green/black tracer on the 12 way harness to the Red/yellow tracer on the 24 way harness. It works like a champ. I also ordered, but not yet installed an adapter part # SON-AUX so that I can plug in a MP3 player that will automatically switch from the XM to the MP3 when a signal is detected. I am going to run the cables to the center armrest so that I can leave the MP3 in the console, completly hidden. I am posting a couple of pictures for now as the car is still apart.

Last edited by Ginny C6; 05-12-2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:38 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Medriver99
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Looks good ! Is there in aux input on the back of the Nav unit, I am trying to get an MP3(Ipod) player to hook up also.
Please keep me informed on how you make out with this .
Thanks
Mike
medriver99@msn.com
Old 05-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Lowlead
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginny C6
The XM antennae is underneath the roof, and above the interior roof trim and completly hidden!
I thought the roof arch was made of steel. If you have the antenna mounted on the top of the interior trim, doesn't the main arch structure block the skyward view of the satellites? Are you sure that the antenna isn't just picking up the ground-based XM repeaters?

(PS, not trying to be critical, just curious )
Old 05-12-2005, 07:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

After doing a lot of research and making a bunch of phone calls I have a Factory installed Navigation system and an aftermarket XM system that plays through the Nav screen and is installed behind the dash. The XM antennae is underneath the roof, and above the interior roof trim and completly hidden! Here is what I did: Purchased from myradiostore.com part# XMDGM100 XM radio package. It plugs in to the factory harness on the back of the Nav unit. on the harness supplied by myradiostore I had to make a jumper from the Light Green/black tracer on the 12 way harness to the Red/yellow tracer on the 24 way harness. It works like a champ. I also ordered, but not yet installed an adapter part # SON-AUX so that I can plug in a MP3 player that will automatically switch from the XM to the MP3 when a signal is detected. I am going to run the cables to the center armrest so that I can leave the MP3 in the console, completly hidden. I am posting a couple of pictures for now as the car is still apart.
Kevin

That's an outstanding achievement!!!

To those of you who don't quite understand what Kevin just said above, he got an aftermarket XM to display an XM button on the screen so he can select XM by touching the screen and then do all his tuning through the touchscreen!!!

Kevin, when you can get that AUX adapter to work so you can plug in your MP3 and it will automatically switch from XM to MP3 when a signal is detected, you'll be a forum hero!!!

Keep us informed how that works out, and thanks for your research, work, and info about this.

Bob
Old 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Lowlead
I thought the roof arch was made of steel. If you have the antenna mounted on the top of the interior trim, doesn't the main arch structure block the skyward view of the satellites? Are you sure that the antenna isn't just picking up the ground-based XM repeaters?

(PS, not trying to be critical, just curious )
I don't know where the signal is coming from, all I know is when I pull out of my garage the XM starts to work. How do you tell the difference, and does it matter? I'm curious also
Old 05-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Lowlead
Racer

I don't know where the signal is coming from, all I know is when I pull out of my garage the XM starts to work. How do you tell the difference, and does it matter? I'm curious also
I don't know if all aftermarket XM units have this, but my Delphi MyFi has a menu screen that displays the individual signal strength of each. That is, one bar graph for satellite signal strength and one bar graph for ground based XM repeaters. I find that around my neighborhood the ground based signal is nearly full scale, even inside the garage. I believe the repeaters have a rather short range and you loose thier signal once you get out of the more populated areas, all that's left after that is the satellites.

Last edited by Lowlead; 05-12-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Tdar
1st Gear

After a bit of research of my own...given Ginny C6's location I am quite sure that you are using the sat's ... The closest documented repeaters are 15+ miles away I would guess (we have to guess at this point no one has a valid public list of repeater locations) from Ginny C6....SO I 'd say it's running on Sat....If it turns out that I am wrong about that it's going to be clear...there are lots of areas around Ginny C6's location that will have NO repeater coverage so if it drops out ...

One other note about Ginny C6's install we can report...As the XM Direct adapter works, we know that the C6 is using the older Class 2 databus rather that the newer GM LAN that I had assumed that they would use....this is a surprise as most new GM's are on the GM LAN and the XLR is one of those I have been told...SO I am shocked to see the C6 still on the older bus...but it allows LOTS of aftermarket things for the C6...there are NONE as of yet for GM LAN....

Last edited by Tdar; 05-13-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:58 AM
dollarbill
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Awesome - Congrats Kevin
Old 05-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Lowlead
Racer

Originally Posted by Tdar
The closest documented repeaters are 15+ miles away I would guess (we have to guess at this point no one has a valid public list of repeater locations) from Ginny C6....SO I 'd say it's running on Sat....
Thats correct, there's no way of knowing how many are "undocumented" as it's somewhat of a company secret. The following is from the XM411 Site
"Not all repeater locations are registered with the FCC. Only those that required a variance form the current regulations had to be registered, so the information in the above document [ list of repeaters ] is by no means complete."
Old 05-14-2005, 08:00 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

It's finished!! Not only do I have aftermarket XM that plays through the Nav as if it were "factory", there is no external antennae. I also can play MP3's now also. It took about a week, and a lot of work, but it's now as it should of been from the beginning
Old 05-14-2005, 08:08 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

It's finished!! Not only do I have aftermarket XM that plays through the Nav as if it were "factory", there is no external antennae. I also can play MP3's now also. It took about a week, and a lot of work, but it's now as it should of been from the beginning
Kevin

Excellent!!

When you change XM channels, does the the HUD show the channel for a few seconds? If so, then I'd say it is totally integrated to your car, just like a factory installation.

Great job,
Bob
Old 05-14-2005, 09:43 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Very Cool
Old 05-14-2005, 11:17 PM
Medriver99
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Details please!!!!!
On the MP3 setup !!!!
If this works thru the Nav you are my hero.

Mike
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 AM
Virt
Racer

I checked the website and I was wondering. The SON-AUX part you listed is an auxiliary connector made for Sony radios. How exactly will this work with the factory NAV and radio?

The closest thing I could find that may work is the part #GM10-AUX by Precision Interface Electronics. This will supposedly change the CD changer port on the back of your radio into an auxilliary input (I.E. XM, MP3, etc). However, When I checked the manufacturer's website, I find that it's rated for vettes up to '04, and there's nothing that specifically supports C6's.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Medriver99
Details please!!!!!
On the MP3 setup !!!!
If this works thru the Nav you are my hero.

Mike
Gee, I've never been anyone's hero before From the SON-AUX device I ran the cable into the center armrest and once I get an MP3 player I can just plug it in and it will automatically switch from XM to MP3. I tried it with a portable CD player and it works great. I will get a photo of it later this afternoon. I am going out in my boat today, to do this
Old 05-15-2005, 09:00 AM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Virt
I checked the website and I was wondering. The SON-AUX part you listed is an auxiliary connector made for Sony radios. How exactly will this work with the factory NAV and radio?

The closest thing I could find that may work is the part #GM10-AUX by Precision Interface Electronics. This will supposedly change the CD changer port on the back of your radio into an auxilliary input (I.E. XM, MP3, etc). However, When I checked the manufacturer's website, I find that it's rated for vettes up to '04, and there's nothing that specifically supports C6's.
I spoke to an engineer that works for PIE and after looking at the set-up I was installing, he told me that was the part I needed. I don't know how it works, but it does!

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success

Old 05-15-2005, 11:21 AM
SimpsonH
Pro

Looks great. Hope you can give more information/feed back when you have time.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Ginny C6
Safety Car

CI 6-7-8-9-10-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

OK here is a photo of the cable in the center console that I will plug in my MP3 (when I get one). I bought some grommets from Radio Shack, and picked the best one.

Last edited by Ginny C6; 05-16-2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: forgot photo
Old 05-16-2005, 10:15 PM
FastMover
Drifting

Location: Tellico Plains, Tn "Wolf" Official Corvette Guard Dog
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

OK here is a photo of the cable in the center console that I will plug in my MP3 (when I get one). I bought some grommets from Radio Shack, and picked the best one.

Quick Reply: Factory Nav, aftermarket XM success