Sponsored by:

[Z06] I Want My Car Quiet!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 06:39 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcrj
Well....first, like you said....if you wanted quiet....why did you buy a street legal race car?

But if quiet is what you must have, I found changing the stock h-pipe to an x-pipe silenced the exhaust to a dull whisper.

I have the B&B PRT's, for me it wasn't about the exhaust note, it was the drone from road noise. With the exhaust you can pick a different gear or even a different exhaust. But with road noise there isn't much you can do except to add some sound proofing. My Z sounds as nasty as the next (exhaust) but I don't see why I need my senses abused just cruising down the road? I know many Z owner's from my club and they all marvel at how civilized and solid my car sounds and feels with just a little sound proofing. Now we are planning a mod party to add DynaMat to their cars.

But make no mistake, when I go WOT my B&B PRT's roar with the best of them. It's the continuous slap and whine of the tires that annoyed me. And I don't see how all that ruckus makes for a world class sports car?

Tom
Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
dbvettez06
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B UY A LEXUS
Old 05-05-2005, 10:39 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dbvettez06
B UY A LEXUS
Why?

Tom
Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Casselvette
Pro

This is all great information as I am ready to reduce some of the road noise! Love the exhaust but the drone from the tires is getting to me.

Anything I need to know (helpful hints) upfront about removing the carpet from the trunk? How many of the "trim" pieces need to be removed? Is the back vertical piece of carpeting attached to the bottom/side piece? Do I even know what I'm talking about?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

Hey I just bought Crazyc5's precut kit for 200 dollars. You can do a search and find the thread. I have not installed it yet but everyone said it was very easy.

Andy Partiton helped alot, and I put down a trunk mat. Additonally I put in that Koolmat Tunnel heatshield.

I have B&B BUllets and with this set up its fine inside to me in terms of noise. I think it will be better once I intsall that precut kit.

Gonzo
Old 05-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I just bought Andy's partition yesterday, as well as the storage covers. I'm going to put the frost king stuff under the carpeting behind the seats and on the axle hump if the road noise isn't cut very much with the partition. Being able to easily remove the partition was a majory selling point for me... around town I don't want it, but on long drives the road noise gets to me after awhile.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
JoeZ
Pro

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
Why?

Tom

Thanks, Tom. You're exactly on the same page as me. A trip to my local Lowes showed no Frost King products and they had no idea what sound board was, so I guess I'll be putting in my order for dynamat on ebay today and looking at home depot or something. Need to get a couple other things too...

Dynamat..tires...clb...geez this is going to be an expensive month...

So from what I've seen online, sound board is just kinda like pressed paperboard or something? Help here would be appreciated because Lowes guys have no clue. (lowes product link could help A LOT)
Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JoeZ
Thanks, Tom. You're exactly on the same page as me. A trip to my local Lowes showed no Frost King products and they had no idea what sound board was, so I guess I'll be putting in my order for dynamat on ebay today and looking at home depot or something. Need to get a couple other things too...

Dynamat..tires...clb...geez this is going to be an expensive month...

So from what I've seen online, sound board is just kinda like pressed paperboard or something? Help here would be appreciated because Lowes guys have no clue. (lowes product link could help A LOT)
Homedepot.com has it... you can order it online...
Old 05-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Devoz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too was unhappy with the cabin noise in my car from day one but tried to ignore it since the Z06 is a light, bare, world class street performance car. Don't bother with the Frost King or Dynamat, just dump the runflats. I tried a 3/4 inch partition, helped alittle. Pulled that out. Changed the Supercar runflats for Nitto 555R2's, now my Z is as quiet as my Suburban and performs better to boot! I can hear the radio now and hold conversations with a passenger without raising my voice. Try regular non runflat tires, you'll be amazed at the difference.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Devoz
I too was unhappy with the cabin noise in my car from day one but tried to ignore it since the Z06 is a light, bare, world class street performance car. Don't bother with the Frost King or Dynamat, just dump the runflats. I tried a 3/4 inch partition, helped alittle. Pulled that out. Changed the Supercar runflats for Nitto 555R2's, now my Z is as quiet as my Suburban and performs better to boot! I can hear the radio now and hold conversations with a passenger without raising my voice. Try regular non runflat tires, you'll be amazed at the difference.

z06's never had runflats
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
AustinL911
Racer

Originally Posted by gresch
z06's never had runflats
EH? I thought for sure they did.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AustinL911
EH? I thought for sure they did.
no run flats, and no tire pressure sensors. The sensors can be added and the monitor can be turned on in the computer, but no Z comes with either. Which has me wondering how Devoz removed the run flats from his Z to quiet down the interior noise All Z's have a tire inflation kit in the trunk in case you get a flat. You can check out the Corvette Black Book on p. 120 if you like.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:25 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Devoz
Old 05-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Devoz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bad....You are correct the Z06 does not have runflats, my 02' coupe does which may have lead to my brain fart. :o
Old 05-06-2005, 11:27 AM
JoeZ
Pro

I'm not sure why people make posts like "it's a performance car, don't worry about the noise" when it's my vehicle. Maybe that's just what I get for asking.

Anyway...

I bought the R13 and MDF for the partition. I couldn't find sound board anywhere...and no one knew what it was. Oh well, the MDF will do. Should be ordering the Dynamat soon as well. Saturday should be a good day to work on this, but with the recent weather it may be put off for another week. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Casselvette
Pro

[QUOTE=JoeZ]I'm not sure why people make posts like "it's a performance car, don't worry about the noise" when it's my vehicle. Maybe that's just what I get for asking.

Hey Joe, I'm with you. I'm going to tackle the noise issue as well. By creating a little less-noisy ambiance in the car will not detract significantly from its performance.
I have ordered the Dynamat and the partition as well. Good luck
Old 05-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have just ordered 42 square feet of Dynamat Extremeliner from Etronics.com to add to my car. It may be overkill, but I really do prefer a quiet car. I hope to get the db's below 70. This is heavier than regular dynamat, about 1 pound per square foot, but for every day driving it is a compromise that is not hard for me to make. Meeting many other Z owners of rather expansive girth, I think my overall weight is still less than many!

A McCord power valve is probably in my future too to make beautiful music when the mood hits me.

No one has yet responded to my removing the headliner question. Has anyone done this?

Chuck

Quick Reply: [Z06] I Want My Car Quiet!!!