Sponsored by:

[Z06] Is this on the test? Q's about oil consumption test

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Is this on the test? Q's about oil consumption test

I have my 01 in the shop for other unrelated issues, and I've brought up the oil consumption issue with the service department. I've already had the engine valley cover repair done, so I think its time for the ring job.

My car is still covered with GMPP, so if the rings are done, GM should be on the hook (please, no warranty debates). I'm anticipating that they will ask me to perform the oil consumption test. What is the oil consumption test? Is it anything jazzy, or are they just checking my dipstick periodically?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:04 AM
RICHARD D. HUDSON SR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Jwg2
Ijust Had My Z Get A New Ls6 It Also Is A 01.
The Oil Consumption Test Is Done By The Gm Dealer It Consist Of Draining Present Oil & Filter .installing New Oil & Filter. You Will Be Required To Pay For Oil& Filter Change . Then Oil Will Be Checked Every 500 Miles Are So By The Gm. Dealership. You Will Need To Have It Checked 4or 5 Times To Obtain Average Oil Usage Which Will Be Recorded By Gm. Dealership After Test & If Your Z Is Using More Than A Quart Are So Of Oil Imo You Are Ready For A More Aggressive Repair ( Re-ring ). Good Luck
Old 05-03-2005, 11:52 AM
jwg2
Racer

thanks for the info. just got the call from Mr Goodwrench. I had just changed the oil two weeks ago, so I convinced them not to drain it, just to top it off. I'd hate for them to dump $40 of Mobil 1 with only 100 miles on it.

I quizzed them but they weren't as informative as you we're. The service guy couldn't say what criteria they would use for their decision on the re-ring. he did say they would tape up my oil filler so that I couldn't add oil, which kind of cracked me up. why would I add oil and foul up their test? you'd think they'd want me from pulling the drain plug, but what do I know.

You'd think all the oil stains on the engine cover around the filler and the 3 bottles of oil in the trunk would be sufficient evidence of a problem

Last edited by jwg2; 05-03-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:23 PM
jwg2
Racer

Originally Posted by RICHARD D. HUDSON SR
Hi. Jwg2
Ijust Had My Z Get A New Ls6 It Also Is A 01.
The Oil Consumption Test Is Done By The Gm Dealer It Consist Of Draining Present Oil & Filter .installing New Oil & Filter. You Will Be Required To Pay For Oil& Filter Change . Then Oil Will Be Checked Every 500 Miles Are So By The Gm. Dealership. You Will Need To Have It Checked 4or 5 Times To Obtain Average Oil Usage Which Will Be Recorded By Gm. Dealership After Test & If Your Z Is Using More Than A Quart Are So Of Oil Imo You Are Ready For A More Aggressive Repair ( Re-ring ). Good Luck

Been following your other thread nice outcome on the 2004 LS6 engine! What did they do with the old block? Might have been nice to have the option to buy it as well.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Mikey Z
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my 01 done last may after having the valley mod. Chevy basically took my word that there was still a problem. Looking at your exhaust pips will tell anyone with knowledge of the car if there;s a problem
Old 05-25-2005, 03:28 PM
jwg2
Racer

well, dealer did the first check on my oil consumption test. Going in for a ring job on 6/6

Get notified of new replies

To Is this on the test? Q's about oil consumption test

Quick Reply: [Z06] Is this on the test? Q's about oil consumption test