Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

great price on race tires!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
Default great price on race tires!

I was at Vilven Tire today having my Kuhmos mounted and found out Bob has a bunch of Goodyear Eagle ZRS DOT race tires (8/32 tread) sitting around that he is selling at clearance just to get them out of his warehouse. These are a couple years old but FYI they've been stored in a cool dark temperature controlled environment so they're fine.

I don't get anything out of this I just wanted to pass on a great deal. If anyone's looking for rain tires, entry level autocross tires or ? from what I understand this is a pretty sticky tire.

the only 17" sizes he has are:

275/40/17 $100 ea (list price $392 ea currently 87 tires in stock)

315/35/17 $100 ea (list price $454 ea currently 140 tires in stock)

These tires will only be available until the end of the week because he's going to wholesale them

I bought four of each today just to play on I couldn't pass them up at that price. For additional $ I'm sure Bob could shave them although he's extremely busy this week so you might have to wait if you want them shaved.

Bob Vilven at Vilven Tire 1-800 251-0017
Old 04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

FYI he doesn't have any in 18" but he has a lot of smaller sizes, 16" etc
Old 04-28-2005, 05:58 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Sounds like a great deal, but I've got so many tires stored up at my house that my wife is threatening to force me to open a tire store if I get any more.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Sounds like a great deal, but I've got so many tires stored up at my house that my wife is threatening to force me to open a tire store if I get any more.

Have a good one,
Mike
Got any for sale? You beat me on purchasing the Toyo RA1's from ERND IT.

Thanks

PS
Old 04-28-2005, 09:02 PM
BrianS
Pro

Anyone have any info on this tire? Is this a DOT-R or true race tire?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Nothing on the Goodyear website about them. Maybe a discontinued tire?? With 8/32 tread, they sound like some sort of rain tire.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by BrianS
Anyone have any info on this tire? Is this a DOT-R or true race tire?
from what I understand it's a DOT race tire and with the full tread depth 8/32 is a rain tire. I did a couple searches and couldn't turn up much info on the tire.

I think it's the Eagle Showroom Stock D.O.T. Radial EAGLE "S" RAIN
Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Hazman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found one reference that said these are Goodyear Eagle ZRs in the "S" racing compound. Very sticky tire. http://autopedia.com/html/TireOpinion.html#Goodyear
Old 04-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

IF... they are the Eagle racing rain tire in what was at one time called the "O" (letter O, not zero) compound they are a great rain tire and a really awesome tire for use on asphalt and in particular on sealcoated surfaces. I have a lot of expeience with this tire since I was on the Goodyear support program in 89 and 90 when it was the hot new thing and they had some really good points. There is a four letter code if I recall correctly on the tire and (I think, but it is a long time ago, but fourth letter on in the code was an "O", it was something LCPO or LCTO, and the compound was was referred to by the Goodyear folks as the "O" compound)

I have pictures of my stock C4 with the front tire about three inches up in the air using the old "O" compound 275/40/17's on a sealcoat surface.

I would guess that this is what they are since they haven't made the the Eagles for racing in anything other than that compound for a number of years, for the dry stuff they all went to the GSCS.

If you are more of a casual autocrosser and want a good tire that you can drive 40 miles to an event, then run and not have to change tires these are a great tire. If you are running on a lot of sealcoated lots you will absolutely be amazed at the grip these things can generate.

At this price I am considering getting a set to run at test and tune weekends and to just use at low key events for practice or on the street.....

If you are really serious they should be shaved if it is going to be really hot, cause they are better when shaved, but like I said they aren't a bad tire even at full tread....

I wouldn't think that they would be a good track day tire, they would go off if they got too hot.... But if it was damp and you were doing a track day they would be great... Again, if you are looking for something to run local events on a budget, I don't think you could beat them.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:49 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Smith
Got any for sale? You beat me on purchasing the Toyo RA1's from ERND IT.

Thanks

PS
Nah, I plan on running 'em all down to the cords!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-29-2005, 07:10 AM
Hazman
Racer

Well I found some more info on these tires.

"We stuck on a new set of 255/50ZR16 Eagle ZR-Ss. We try to not compromise BBfH’s performance and that means the most aggressive, yet streetable (enough tread for occasional driving in the rain), tire we can get. Goodyear has a soft, "S-compound" version of the GS-C, but it’s not streetable as it’s really a race tire with a minimum "tread" to satisfy SCCA’s World Challenge rules.

Not so the ZR-S. Derived from the VR-S, Goodyear’s original soft compound, street tire, its tread is not quite as deep as a typical passenger car tire, but it’s still a full tread that you can safely drive in the wet. It also uses the old VR/ZR casing which is more rigid than the GS-C.

ZR-S tires are hard to get because Goodyear doesn’t publicize them. Nevertheless, they’re available by special order and are listed in Goodyear’s catalog. If you want the highest performance, streetable tire you can buy and will accept the ride quality penalty they bring; find a friendly Goodyear dealer who will special order for you."

Think I will give Bob a call today
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM
BrianS
Pro

Looks promising... Will these tires be ok to drive to/from track or will I have to trailer?
Old 04-29-2005, 08:46 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Hazman
Well I found some more info on these tires.

"We stuck on a new set of 255/50ZR16 Eagle ZR-Ss. We try to not compromise BBfH’s performance and that means the most aggressive, yet streetable (enough tread for occasional driving in the rain), tire we can get. Goodyear has a soft, "S-compound" version of the GS-C, but it’s not streetable as it’s really a race tire with a minimum "tread" to satisfy SCCA’s World Challenge rules.

Not so the ZR-S. Derived from the VR-S, Goodyear’s original soft compound, street tire, its tread is not quite as deep as a typical passenger car tire, but it’s still a full tread that you can safely drive in the wet. It also uses the old VR/ZR casing which is more rigid than the GS-C.

ZR-S tires are hard to get because Goodyear doesn’t publicize them. Nevertheless, they’re available by special order and are listed in Goodyear’s catalog. If you want the highest performance, streetable tire you can buy and will accept the ride quality penalty they bring; find a friendly Goodyear dealer who will special order for you."

Think I will give Bob a call today
good info! maybe I should have bought more than two sets I wonder what Bob is going to think when he gets calls about these tires today out of the blue lol
Old 04-29-2005, 01:50 PM
Hazman
Racer

I just talked to Bob and he has sold 3 sets today!!
Old 04-29-2005, 04:54 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

lol that's funny
Old 04-29-2005, 05:38 PM
BrianS
Pro

I just bumped the number up by one! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:45 PM
ToyC4
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by BrianS
I just bumped the number up by one! Thanks for the heads up.
you're welcome! no problem I thought it was a pretty sweet deal

Get notified of new replies

To great price on race tires!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:40 AM
MIZR1
Advanced

Default Thanks for the tip

ToyC4, thanks for the head's up. I did my first autocross yesterday and was worrying about how quickly the tires are going to wear out. I ordered up a set of these race tires which should improve my times and save wear and tear on the street tires. Thats a great deal.

Glenn Haake
NYS Director
ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
cyclerage23
Melting Slicks

I ordered 2 sets last week, but now I cant find wheels to run them so I dont know what to do with them.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
GR8-LIFE
Team Owner

WOW! I need a set of rear Kumho Victoracer Race tires (size 315) and I have discovered they are on national backorder. I've called many places and noone has them. Tirerack also has been sold out of the Victoracers for a couple of months.

I read this thread and decided to give this tire company a call. I spoke with Tracy (and then Mike) and was shocked when Tracy told me they have them. In fact, they have a whole crap load of Kumho Victoracer 315 tires!!! So I Ordered a new set. Shoot, I felt like ordering 5 sets cuz I cant get them anywhere else and I never want to be without a spare fresh set of race tires ever again. Hee - hee, reminds me of Elaine in Seinfeld when the sponge was taken of the market and she bought 28 boxes of sponges!!!

Thanks for the post TOYC4 - You made my day!!! BTW, they didnt gouge me on the price either. $190 for each Victoracer, no more expensive than Tirerack (actually I think its a few $$$ cheaper).

If you need the Victoracers, this is the company to call!

Quick Reply: great price on race tires!