C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 Externally or Internally Balanced??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 06:42 PM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default 95 Externally or Internally Balanced??

I've searched past posts and can't get a straight answer on this. I took my 95 to the shop today with my brand new fidanza flywheel and clutch kit from carolina clutch today and the shop called me because of the directions from fidanza. In the install directions from fidanza it recommends you have your flywheel balanced with your new pressure plate.

Okay I'm stupid for not catching that first!

So I have my car back and my question is do I just take the new fidanza and pressure plate and have it zero balanced or do I need to take the old DM flywheel and have the fidanza balanced to match it?

Thanks in advance,
Old 04-21-2005, 06:49 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The engine is neutral balanced in the front and externally balanced in the rear. If anything is to be done, the new flywheel should be matched to the imbalance of the original. The pressure plate should be neutral balanced so that you don't create an "inseparable pair of parts".

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Beat me to it CFI I have just been through the ringer on this one.LT1s are balanced at the factory by weighting(if needed) the fly wheel. There are certain times that "fine tuning" is done with the harmonic balancer but they are supposed to be zero balanced.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:56 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

All the GEN I and Gen IIs since 1986, when they went to the one piece rear main seal are that way. The seal requires a different rear flange on the crank, and an external counter weight on the two piece rear main seal cranks was "lost" in the process.

RACE ON!!!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
The engine is neutral balanced in the front and externally balanced in the rear. If anything is to be done, the new flywheel should be matched to the imbalance of the original. The pressure plate should be neutral balanced so that you don't create an "inseparable pair of parts".

RACE ON!!!
When I had my swing assembly balanced, they needed the flywheel but did not need the the hub and damper. I had it to 6500 on the dyno and it was right.

Get notified of new replies

To 95 Externally or Internally Balanced??

Quick Reply: 95 Externally or Internally Balanced??