Transactions Feedback Feedback on transactions made with other members and vendors.

TERRIBLE ON-GOING EXPERIENCE WITH: Mark Dawson aka VNM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TERRIBLE ON-GOING EXPERIENCE WITH: Mark Dawson aka VNM

For the first time since being a corvetteforum member I am posting a complaint. Specifically, my complaint is against Mr. Mark Dawson, Owner and President of VNM (and a corvetteforum vendor).

Over the past 8-months (this is not a typo - eight months) I have spoken with Mr. Dawson on numerous occasions. As an understanding customer I have repeatedly attempted to give him the benefit of the doubt. I have also given him numerous opportunities to demonstrate a good-faith business practice. Instead what I have received (up to last month) are excuses, explanations, delays, and a credit card charge of $250 (made in August 04). During the last month, I have heard nothing as Mr. Dawson has apparently decided to ignore me. To say that I am dissatisfied with the service I have received thus far would be an understatement, however, I am making one last effort to resolve this matter informally.

As Mr. Dawson now refuse to acknowledge my phone calls, e-mails, PM's etc. I am now posting my complaint publicly, in the hopes that public awareness might assist in the resolution of this long overdue issue.

Mr. Dawson - as a final reminder, my new Wilwood calipers were mailed to you on August 18, 2004 and received by you on August 20, 2004. Per our agreement you were to powder coat my new black Wilwood calipers candy red and work was to be completed (per our agreement) and returned to my possession within 2-weeks (no later than September 3, 2004) for an install I had scheduled at MSI on September 6, 2004. Over the course of the last 7-months we have communicated through e-mail and over the phone (I have a log of every date we spoke, notes on our conversation, and a copy of each e-mail you and I have sent each other). During the course of the last 7-months (August 04 - March 05) I have heard every excuse in the book. Finally, 7-months later, on March 20, 2005 you admit that my new Wilwood calipers have been ruined and will be replaced by new "red" Wilwood calipers at your own cost. Specifically you stated:

"...The coaters have completely ruined the lettering preventing the machined look as desired. I have placed an order for a set of red ones to replace yours. I will have them in a week or so and will ship them..." (e-mail dated March 20, 2005 from Mark Dawson)

Over the course of the last month, up to, and including today you have not responded to phone calls, messages, e-mails, PM's, etc. As you have never made any effort to inform me of any updates whatsoever, I am confident that, but for, my constant barrage of phone calls, messages, e-mails, PM's etc. that I would never hear from Mr. Dawson or VNM in any way, shape, or form. In fact to this date, some 8-months and 1 day later, you have never initiated a phone call, e-mail, or any other type of communication. However, as I have now spent 30-days trying unsuccessfully to reach you, I feel as though I have exhausted every plausible option.

Put simply, my intent is to hold you to our agreement and have you replace my new black Wilwood calipers with new "red" Wilwood calipers at your own cost. Please accept this as my final attempt to resolve this issue. If this issue is not resolved to my satisfaction in a timely manner then it is my intent to file suit against you individually, as well as, V-n-M as a company.

I am hopeful that this issue can be resolved informally, however, as I have exhausted all other alternatives I will no longer accept excuses, explanations, or delays and I will not deviate from the above remedy or course of action. I look forward to the resolution of this matter.

Sincerely,
Asphalt Animal

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 04-22-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 PM
bsmall423
Racer

*adds that vendor to the do not buy from list....
Old 04-19-2005, 11:11 PM
RPMcorvette
Instructor

Yeah! Dont mess with the Corvette Forum!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:16 PM
04zo6405
Advanced

No rebutle? Hmmm sounds funny...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by 04zo6405
No rebutle? Hmmm sounds funny...
If Mr. Dawson maintains suit, then I would not expect to hear from him here either.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rebutle? This post was created forty-five minutes ago.

Sucks being jerked around. Just be happy the amount of money is trivial.

Mark
Old 04-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Rebutle? This post was created forty-five minutes ago.

Sucks being jerked around. Just be happy the amount of money is trivial.

Mark
The cost of new red Wilwoods + the $250 credit card charge is not that trivial to me...last time I checked with Wilwood they were $800 each ($800 x 4 = $3200 + $250 = $3450)
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Heeded and good luck.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:06 AM
lvvette777
Race Director

Unlike some of the complaints I have read here yours has a legitimate reason for being here.

I just put a sticky note on my computer to not deal with VNM, thanks for the information.

I suggest disputing the charge with your credit card company.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by lvvette777
Unlike some of the complaints I have read here yours has a legitimate reason for being here.

I just put a sticky note on my computer to not deal with VNM, thanks for the information.

I suggest disputing the charge with your credit card company.
Thank you for your suggestion. I usually stick with the, "if you don't have anything nice to say..." motto, but as stated above, this really is my final attempt to informally resolve a long overdue issue. I have a suspicion that I am not the only one in this position, but hopefully I will be the last. I have had nothing but positive experiences with dozens of forum members and vendors, in my opinion, this just happens to be the exception. Thank you for the encouragement.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Mavrick
Instructor

Just want to say your complaint is very well written and this is the type of complaint this forum is for.

You showed ALOT more patience that I would have.

I will continue to watch this thread as I am very interested in VNM's reply.
If all you have said is true (I am NOT implying it isnt) then the moderators should remove VNM as a sponsor.

I too will mark VNM as someone NOT to deal with.

Best of luck is getting satisfaction, btw, don't hesitate to take them to court, best thing you did was save all the emails and document the calls. It will be a very short court hearing.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by Mavrick
Just want to say your complaint is very well written and this is the type of complaint this forum is for.

You showed ALOT more patience that I would have.

I will continue to watch this thread as I am very interested in VNM's reply.
If all you have said is true (I am NOT implying it isnt) then the moderators should remove VNM as a sponsor.

I too will mark VNM as someone NOT to deal with.

Best of luck is getting satisfaction, btw, don't hesitate to take them to court, best thing you did was save all the emails and document the calls. It will be a very short court hearing.

Thank you for the compliment. I believe the moderators are also watching this thread, and in time, will do what they believe to be appropriate. Again, I have had years of positive experiences with dozens of members and vendors - I believe this to be the exception not the rule. I remain hopeful that Mr. Dawson does reply, as it may bring closure to this issue. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 AM
No Rice
Burning Brakes

Wow, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Too bad they locked the other post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...NM&forum_id=53 as others who may be getting screwed by this guy could have responded. Hopefully he gets whats coming to him.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:38 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by No Rice
Wow, sorry to hear of your misfortune. Too bad they locked the other post http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...NM&forum_id=53 as others who may be getting screwed by this guy could have responded. Hopefully he gets whats coming to him.
It appears that the thread you identified was closed after Mr. Dawson stated:

"All will work out with patience and percevierence in time and I am certain all will be satisfied. " (Corvetteforum post dated April 8, 2005)

I am trusting that the moderators will understand two things: (1) that after 8-months, I have run out of patience and percevierence; and (2) that this is not a "bashing" session but an honest attempt to informally resolve a long overdue issue. I am confident that I am not the only person in this position, however, my original post is an accurate accounting of my first hand interactions with Mr. Dawson. Other are free to post their own interactions if they so choose. Thank you for bringing the aforementioned thread to my attention.

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 04-20-2005 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:03 AM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

This VNM company is the excuse KING. I have seen everything from "I had to send the parts back cause they didn't meet me expectations" to "I had to fire my daughter. And everything in between.

I hope you get your money back, But from what I have seen in the past with this guy I honestly dont think you have a chance.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:05 AM
MTV
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Mark. I have had several good transactions with him and have recommended him as a vendor to many. I believe that you will get your replacement calipers from Mark, just sorry that it could not be resolved more amicably. Best,

mtv
Old 04-20-2005, 02:11 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
This VNM company is the excuse KING. I have seen everything from "I had to send the parts back cause they didn't meet me expectations" to "I had to fire my daughter. And everything in between.

I hope you get your money back, But from what I have seen in the past with this guy I honestly dont think you have a chance.
You know Jeff, lately you have been beating me to everything on this forum. Over the course of 8-months, I have heard a little bit of everything from Mr. Dawson. I sincerely hope you did not just beat me to the conclusion.

Get notified of new replies

To TERRIBLE ON-GOING EXPERIENCE WITH: Mark Dawson aka VNM

Old 04-20-2005, 02:17 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by MTV
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Mark. I have had several good transactions with him and have recommended him as a vendor to many. I believe that you will get your replacement calipers from Mark, just sorry that it could not be resolved more amicably. Best,

mtv
I understand and I do not believe that you are alone in that opinion. The last communication I received from Mr. Dawson stated:

"Sorry been out of touch here for a while. I work a full time job and this business. Waiting for them to arrive from texas where I ordered them. Mark"

Unfortunately, after 8-months of difficulties, I am not left with many options. For those who do not know, Wilwood Engineering is approximately a 15-minute drive from VNM. I stopped hearing from Mr. Dawson after I began sending e-mails and leaving messages requesting: (1) all the contact information of the business he placed the order with; (2) the date on which he placed the order; (3) whom he spoke with; and (4) the order number - So I could verify an accurate timeline.

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 04-20-2005 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:08 AM
RainJ
Safety Car

Location: Biloxi MS Theres something happenin' here, What it is ain't exactly clear.....

Sorry to hear this and I am glad you posted it here in the forum for us all to keep up with..

Shame the other thread was locked.(it prevents the thread from surfacing from time to time with followups - it could also serve as a reminder to other Vette owners)

Good Luck
Rain
Old 04-20-2005, 03:23 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by RainJ
Sorry to hear this and I am glad you posted it here in the forum for us all to keep up with..

Shame the other thread was locked.(it prevents the thread from surfacing from time to time with followups - it could also serve as a reminder to other Vette owners)

Good Luck
Rain
Thank you and you are welcome. I do not believe that the moderators locked the previous thread out of any malicious intent. Personally, I believe that they simply took Mr. Dawson at his word. In all reality, a corvetteforum vendor implying that he will take care of the problem in a public forum, should be enough to resolve the issue. Perhaps it was just another exception, I guess you would have to ask the members on that thread to know for sure. This is purely speculation.