C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Well, I had a clear bra put on my C6 and didn't think it looked that good so I had it removed.

Guess what??? I have straight razor lines across my fenders and near the wheel wells.

They are going to try and wet sand it to remove the lines(?)

Any suggestions or recommendations for a shop that does wet-sanding in the metro-Phoenix area?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:41 PM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Well, I had a clear bra put on my C6 and didn't think it looked that good so I had it removed.

Guess what??? I have straight razor lines across my fenders and near the wheel wells.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a shop that does wet-sanding in the metro-Phoenix area?

Thanks!
Wet sanding will just take the clear off and any acid rain drops and imperfections, if it is in fact razor cuts, you may need paint. Any pics?
Old 04-12-2005, 11:48 PM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the paint OK, and it's just the cuts?
Old 04-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

They are very light......my fingernail barely feels them. I can't feel them to the touch at all.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 AM
RX4WRK
Burning Brakes

That is pure incompetence.

Better get his liability insurance policy number.

Not good.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
accidentprone
Melting Slicks

They are very light......my fingernail barely feels them. I can't feel them to the touch at all.
Oh then maybe the wet sanding might work, it may just be dirt build up in the paint. Just make sure they dont go throught the paint, oh that would be a nightmare.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can barely feel them wet sanding should do the trick. Why did they even use a razor! Didn't they install a precut kit???
Old 04-13-2005, 07:31 AM
1subject70sheets
Racer

At this point I wouldn't trust those guys with my car. Find someone that knows what they're doing. Wet sanding can be tricky and the clear coat is extremely thin. In the future, precut kits is the way to go.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
EHS
Race Director

I don't think you'll have a problem -- you might even try it yourself with some swirl mark remover.

Clear bras are not available pre-cut.

They are cut to a pattern, but there is always some cutting involved. How deep you cut is what separates the men from the boys.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:12 AM
bj33813
Racer

I just had my C6 done ( front, hood, fenders, mirrors, extended wheel wells), and the guy was absolutely fastidious in the install...took 11 hours !!!! But what a great job...any cutting he did, he used a plastic template and cut with the film LIFTED while he cut. He just kept working the film and tacking it down until it was perfect.

The installer is THE key to this stuff.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS
I don't think you'll have a problem -- you might even try it yourself with some swirl mark remover.
Yep. I'd try some swirl remover first and if that doesn't work, maybe go up to a clear coat rubbing compound (rubbing compound specifically made for clear coats). Wet sanding is a bit overboard for a first try! It might just be some buildup of goo (adhesive) that ran out a bit at the edge rather than real "cuts" in the paint. If they are very slight, it's hard to tell a cut from a bump.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 09:23 AM
LKicklight
Burning Brakes

Default Clear Bra

You will probably find, that this is probably only a wax build-up line. With some leveling compound, a blue foam buffing pad at 1200 rpm will no doubt remove this. Go back over the area with a white foam buffing pad at 1800 rpm with a good polish...should take it right off:
KICKBACK

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

If you can feel them with your fingernail, they will not rub out.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:01 AM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
If you can feel them with your fingernail, they will not rub out.
Only true if it is a real cut/scratch and not just a buildup.

Mike
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

It is a real scratch!

This guy did use a pre-cut kit, but like others said, he still had to do some trimming.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:04 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Well I have my saved reply that I paste into all of these threads but I'm at work and don't have it.

This very thing happened to us. The idiot that installed in on our BRAND NEW TAHOE put 5 cuts in the hood, fenders, and 1 mirror. And like you, we had them remove it so we could inspect some OTHER scratches that he put in the hood. If we had not removed it the clear stuff, we would have thought it was wax buildup like so many people here think it is. IT IS NOT WAX BUILDUP - IT IS CUT PAINT. There are other people who have these cuts and don't realize it. We had to have the hood, fenders, and 1 mirror repainted. Not all installers are incompetent. We are going to have the clear stuff put on at our Chevy dealer today (fingers crossed ). It was a local tint shop that fubar'd it the first time.

*edit* - and our "kit" was "pre-cut with a laser" like all of them advertise. The problem is that it stretches as they apply it and it almost always has to be trimmed.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Well I have my saved reply that I paste into all of these threads but I'm at work and don't have it.

This very thing happened to us. The idiot that installed in on our BRAND NEW TAHOE put 5 cuts in the hood, fenders, and 1 mirror. And like you, we had them remove it so we could inspect some OTHER scratches that he put in the hood. If we had not removed it the clear stuff, we would have thought it was wax buildup like so many people here think it is. IT IS NOT WAX BUILDUP - IT IS CUT PAINT. There are other people who have these cuts and don't realize it. We had to have the hood, fenders, and 1 mirror repainted. Not all installers are incompetent. We are going to have the clear stuff put on at our Chevy dealer today (fingers crossed ). It was a local tint shop that fubar'd it the first time.

*edit* - and our "kit" was "pre-cut with a laser" like all of them advertise. The problem is that it stretches as they apply it and it almost always has to be trimmed.
My scratches are very thin and light.

How deep were yours that required repainting?

Get notified of new replies

To Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!

Old 04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A good paint shop is where you need to go. They have tools that can measure your clear coat and work accordingly,
Old 04-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Mark S.
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lesson learned...learn to live without "clear-bra."
Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Lesson learned...learn to live without "clear-bra."

Why do you say that? The gentleman's issue wasn't the bra, it was always the installation. From day one.

Clear protection is the best you can buy. Like anything else, it needs to be installed competently.

I've never had a chip or scratch where my "clear bra" was installed.

Quick Reply: Removed Clear Bra and now have cuts in paint!