Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, Al. I know what you mean.

Kinda like club golf. Some guy wins the club championship. Most folks understand there's a lot of practice that went into the winners game. A few club duffers are "inclined" to believe he/she cheated on his scores.

Ranger
Old 05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 02MYZO6
You guys..."capable drivers"...make me laugh.
Do you actually believe that you can convince everyone on this forum that you are the best and greatest drivers of the "bone stock C5 ZO6"? You all appear to have the most fragile egos. When will you let it rest? Your believers and supporters already seem more numerous than the skeptics (at least here on this forum it appears that way). What sort of recognition are you seeking?
I know I am NOT seeking ANY recognition. Rob just meant that a driver w/ a lot of experience/practice at the track can get these cars to go very quick. Hell, my 1st time to the track in my Z I went a best of 13.0!!! Had I heard mid to high 11's were possible I would have been skeptical. However, reading here & practicing has helped me immensely! I don't doubt anyone, especially since I have seen my improvements...
Go to this site & click on the 4th file down on the right.
http://www.challengevideos.com
That's me from the Corvette Challenge Sat @ Etown. Listen carefully to the shifts & the launch. This is what Ranger is eluding to...what you can achieve w/ practice.....
It IS possible & many can do the same...It's not an easy task, & track prep & weather always help!
Ron
Old 05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've been on the forums (CF & ZO6vette) for 3 years now following threads like these (bone stock 11 sec Z's). I too, am one of the many skeptics. Everytime someone questions these 11 sec runs in stock Z's w/ stock tires....you all (those making these exceptional claims) are quick to the defense. And usually the defensive attitude implies guilt. Otherwise, your egos are so big that "you think you're superman behind the wheel and then get pissed off when someone doubts your claims"

Come on, a 10 year old kid has the muscle memory to make these shifts. I don't see the purpose in practicing your shifts w/ engine off. Practicing your shifting under hard acceleration is a whole different ballgame. IMHO, shifting is all about timing w/ the engine on and accelerting. With all do respect, muscle memory has nothing to do with timing the shift under hard acceleration.

FLAME RETARDENT SUIT ON!!
You had the very first flame of the thread. And still flaming on.

Ranger
Old 05-10-2005, 07:30 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
You had the very first flame of the thread. And still flaming on.

Ranger
I think it was LeMansBlue04. How in the he-l did EB's original post turn into this? Damn!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:50 AM
Dr Octane
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Korreck
I guess you're comparing your times to the one I posted. It means nothing if you're saying you're a lousy driver and ran a faster time so he's worse. I've seen cars vary .3 depending on the weather. Same night.
No, I would never say I was better than the driver you spoke of. I would agree with you that due to varying conditions he was probably capable of running .3 faster.
If a good driver is capable of running 12.2s in good conditions I certainly think a great driver is capable of better.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
shurite44
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey fellows, I suggest we let this thread die. It has gotten pretty far off topic anyway.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:30 PM
cb5300
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shurite44
Hey fellows, I suggest we let this thread die. It has gotten pretty far off topic anyway.
Heck, why let it die...It's all been in good fun, and does make interesting reading... Everybody needs a laugh once in a while. Rock on........
Old 05-10-2005, 09:06 PM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

WallStall,
You should come up to Sac Raceway. Z06's really benefit from someone who knows how to drive. I seen a basically stock one, run 11.8's, with a 2.0 60'. Only mods being driver and long tube headers.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:03 PM
cb5300
Pro

The futility is quite obvious. I'll step down, but it was fun
Old 05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TIMSPEED
WallStall,
You should come up to Sac Raceway. Z06's really benefit from someone who knows how to drive. I seen a basically stock one, run 11.8's, with a 2.0 60'. Only mods being driver and long tube headers.
WallstAL = wallstreetAL not Stall!

We have people here that can drive and it doesn't happen!! Long Tube Headers do not equate to stock!!!!

Last edited by wallstAL; 05-11-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wallstAL
WallstAL = wallstreetAL not Stall!

We have people here that can drive and it doesn't happen!! Long Tube Headers do not equate to stock!!!!
Hey Al, he says ALMOST stock. Now who is going to install headers and not a breather? More

Good collection of Gif files. You been on here tooooooooooo long.

Last edited by Korreck; 05-11-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by EB20003
So if he is running a stock rear end he will hit 4th gear and if he is running 4.10s he will too.

So are you saying that other than his ETs it is impossible to tell just by observing him run it down the track?

I always thought that if you ran lower gears (higher number) you had to shift sooner.

I look at this car and I can't put my finger on it ......but something just isn't right. Routinely, consistent, 12.1, 12.0X with just headers and a breather.
Ok ... I'm gonna go out on a limb here and hope I don't get eaten for lunch by all you men becasue I've still got a lot to learn when it comes to technical terminology, but I ran 12.18's with a pretty much stock '04 Z. All that was done to the car at that time was a hurst, exhaust and a filter. I will say that after I got use to the hurst, I gained 2/10ths which was a shocker to me. My 60 ft average (lauching at between 4500 - 5000) is roughly a 1.74 (once, and olnly once got a 1.6) with an average speed of 114/115 MPH. The gears were and still are the stock 3.42 gears. Let's see ... what else. I do shift into fourth and let off at about 5500 when it's shut down time. I hope that helps answer some of your questions. Just get out there an practice your lauches ... get some sticky tires to hookup and try to run him before sun down when the track is still warm. :o You'll kill'em ... I know it!

Last edited by SCEMO; 05-18-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:31 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Your sig says you're a systems engineer. So you might appreciate the remoteness of the possibility that the timing equipment is improperly calibrated at the four tracks I've run

11.8s bone-stock on stock tires and
11.5s with just drag radials with a cold-air intake

For the record...the tracks are:

Maryland International Raceway, Budds Creek, Maryland
Cecil County Dragway, Rising Sun, Maryland
Capitol Raceway, Crofton, Maryland
Atco Racway, Atco, New Jersey

Ranger
Sounds like you 'da man Ranger ... I could use some pointers if you ever make it to Houston Raceway Park!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:46 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by EB20003
Wow, I never meant to start this.

I totally feel ya! This has become something of it's own creation.
I will say ... it's rather entertaining, no? Not to mention that it has made me feel that I stink at driving being that I have only achieved a 12.1 :o
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCEMO
Sounds like you 'da man Ranger ... I could use some pointers if you ever make it to Houston Raceway Park!
The guy to hook up with at HRP is J-Rod. If you search this thread for his name, you'll find a link to some J-Rod vids of 11 second passes at HRP.

Ranger
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 AM
SCEMO
Racer

The guy to hook up with at HRP is J-Rod. If you search this thread for his name, you'll find a link to some J-Rod vids of 11 second passes at HRP.

Ranger
I've heard of this guy ... actually seen a video. Pretty hairball to say the least. Is his username "J-Rod"?
Old 05-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SCEMO
Is his username "J-Rod"?
Yes, J-Rod, here and on other sites.

Ranger

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:36 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, I missed this thread.

Anyhow, give me a holler. I'm out at HRP a lot, or if you're going to go, I'll make a trip out there to meet you. I live 5 minutes from the track, and I have a suite out there.

Anyhow, like Ranger said, I ran a 11.783 in my car 100% stock, and 11.606 with the airbox lid off it @ HRP. I went 11.596 on Et Streets as the car doesn't make enough power to keep the Et Streets moving... If you "dead hook" the car bogs. So, you have to tune them to spin, and your fighting wheelspin vs rpm vs bog...

Anyhow, I've run my car at Beech Bend in the middle of summer in high humidity, fairly low baro, and that wonderful beech bend track prep . Guess what, the car lost 5 mph and 1 full second. I then drove a 560+ RWHP Z06 that could only muster a 10.93 which is about a second off what it should run.

As a counterpoint to that. I've run a 12.0 @ HRP in the middle of the summer but to do so required me to hammer on the car probably harder than I ever had. I was launching with a lot of clutch slip @ 6500 RPM on the stock radials, and ran 4 or 5 12.0x (personal quest for an 11.9 in BAD weather).

Anyhow, after my 11.783 run I had some question about the validity of my run here is an offer from one of the persons who looked over my car, and has seen me drive my car...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51353

Originally Posted by 3gun
I personally witnessed J- Rods run as well as did many others. J- rod is such a straight up guy that you will never get anything but facts from him as evidenced by his following on this and other forums as well as from tuners and manufacturers.

But this is your lucky day! This may not settle the exact issue but I bet it will put the matter to sleep. --- You bring your car, that you have experience in, to Houston. Let J-Rod make five passes in it to get it's feel, then each of you run three times eliminating your worst run. Then average the two remaining runs to see who is fastest in the car. If you win I'll pay your reasonable expenses {as determined by members of this forum} for coming plus $1000.00 If J-Rod wins you pay your own expenses and give an apology on Z06vette.com once each week for a year to him and all the other guys that have worked long and hard to be able to perform at a level you probably will never understand.
tommy
Anyhow, if I lived in an area that had really positive DA all the time, sure I'd be skeptical as the car would be slower. Anyhow, if someone wants to go out to HRP on a zero (or near 0 DA day) I'll be more than happy to put this to rest.

Anyhow, Ranger has posted up his helps and how to. Here is mine....

From my first pass in the car of a 12.7 to an 11.933 which came in about 4 trips to the drag strip...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25298
Old 05-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Special K
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Wow, I missed this thread.

Anyhow, give me a holler. I'm out at HRP a lot, or if you're going to go, I'll make a trip out there to meet you. I live 5 minutes from the track, and I have a suite out there.

Anyhow, like Ranger said, I ran a 11.783 in my car 100% stock, and 11.606 with the airbox lid off it @ HRP. I went 11.596 on Et Streets as the car doesn't make enough power to keep the Et Streets moving... If you "dead hook" the car bogs. So, you have to tune them to spin, and your fighting wheelspin vs rpm vs bog...

Anyhow, I've run my car at Beech Bend in the middle of summer in high humidity, fairly low baro, and that wonderful beech bend track prep . Guess what, the car lost 5 mph and 1 full second. I then drove a 560+ RWHP Z06 that could only muster a 10.93 which is about a second off what it should run.

As a counterpoint to that. I've run a 12.0 @ HRP in the middle of the summer but to do so required me to hammer on the car probably harder than I ever had. I was launching with a lot of clutch slip @ 6500 RPM on the stock radials, and ran 4 or 5 12.0x (personal quest for an 11.9 in BAD weather).

Anyhow, after my 11.783 run I had some question about the validity of my run here is an offer from one of the persons who looked over my car, and has seen me drive my car...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51353

Anyhow, if I lived in an area that had really positive DA all the time, sure I'd be skeptical as the car would be slower. Anyhow, if someone wants to go out to HRP on a zero (or near 0 DA day) I'll be more than happy to put this to rest.

Anyhow, Ranger has posted up his helps and how to. Here is mine....

From my first pass in the car of a 12.7 to an 11.933 which came in about 4 trips to the drag strip...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25298
Do you have any idea of what the DA was when you lost a full sec? Just trying to compare my times.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Wow, I'm exausted!
This is the first time I have really checked this section of the CF and I got sucked right into this one. So here I go:

I think there is a difference in polite skepticism and waving the flag.

Anyone who has read this thread and doesn't think Ranger's car is stock must think OJ is innocent.

I'm an old guy. Does anyone remember Ronney Sox doing clutchless power shifts? Driving does make a difference.

The restraint and good manners shown by Ranger, indicate no excessive ego.

Quick Reply: Z06 Drag Racers Help Me Here.