Sponsored by:

[Z06] Fuel guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Orlandoz06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel guage

I am having inconsistent readings from my fuel gauge. It started a few months ago and it almost left me stranded on the highway. Anybody else having this problem? I drive mine everyday so it is not sitting or anything like that, I try and keep it topped off but on long trips it is a concern. I know some people are having problems with the DIC part that deals with fuel, but have not seen anyone mentioning my problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:20 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it a concern, just determine on average how miles you get to a tank full and set the trip odometer each time you fill up. I rarely look at the gas gauge and go by miles driven.

BTW the dealer can fix the faulty gauge. Also your DIC will tell you when your fuel is down to reserve level, so I don not understand how you could run out of gas.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Orlandoz06
Heel & Toe

The problem is that DIC goes from nothing to Low Fuel and Check Guages instantly without the Reserve Fuel ever coming on. The other reason why it is hard to estimate is my extereme driving style. I either drive in the city for many tanks at a time managing 12-15 miles per gallon or drive on the Florida Turnpike averaging 26-29 miles per gallon for many tanks, so I have no middle ground to go by.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barondw
Why is it a concern, just determine on average how miles you get to a tank full and set the trip odometer each time you fill up. I rarely look at the gas gauge and go by miles driven..
That's the most ridiculous advice I have ever heard. This is exactly what I want to do every time I get in my $50k car. Should I push start it as well?

It's a computer problem. I have had this happen as well. I beleive there is a bulletin on this issue. Take it to your dealer, you prom needs to be re-flashed.

Count your miles....
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I am also having a problem which started at about 29,000 miles. The gauge is OK until half tank, and then it goes to zero. The problem is eratic, but happening more often. Someone recommended a solution but I didn't bother since I had to put it up for the winter.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
GaGlen
Instructor

Take it in to the dealer. It is a known problem and they replace the Fuel tank sending unit. I had mine done a couple of months ago. Same symptoms as yours. Good luck until you get it fixed.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Orlandoz06
Heel & Toe

just curious, how is GM keeping customers when issues like this and the leaking rear end come up with so many owners yet they charge us to fix it??? It seems to me as few of these cars as they sold they should consider all these issues a design flaw or at the lease a planning flaw and fix it regardless of mileage or time. I understand that some guys are beating the hell of these cars but the naging electronic, sending unit, etc. is not part of hard use problems.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the fuel gauge issue but cured it by using Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner (about $5; widely available). One bottle added to a neary empty tank immediately before filling up.

Used the TECHRON twice and the issue has not recurred in the past six months.

Might want to give this approach a try before making a trip to the dealer.

Ranger
Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Orlandoz06
Heel & Toe

Thanks Ranger, I already started doing just what you suggest with the last tank of gas. Will report how it is going. What is so funny is I use only Chevron premi unleaded with Techron in the thing and itr still happened.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Thud
Team Owner

Originally Posted by barondw
Also your DIC will tell you when your fuel is down to reserve level, so I don not understand how you could run out of gas.

The fuel guages have been known to register 1/4 full when they are in fact nearly empty. Thus, the "reserve" light never comes on.

Other times, the gas guage will go from 1/2 full straight to empty and the "check guages" light will be glaring at you even if you have plenty of fuel.

Only GM could screw up something as simple as a fuel guage.

Anyway, as long as I'm using Chevron gas, it doesn't seem to have a problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Orlandoz06
Heel & Toe

I just looked at MSN autos and they say GM is going to want $370.00 plus 2 hours of labor to fix it. Boy am I glad I bought an extended warranty.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 PM
fergy flyer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Orlandoz06
I just looked at MSN autos and they say GM is going to want $370.00 plus 2 hours of labor to fix it. Boy am I glad I bought an extended warranty.
I'm having this problem in fla also. It only happens when there is less than a half tank and usually less than 3/8 of a tank of fuel. My dealer told me it was a common problem and that it is brand sensitive to fuel. I asked what brands to avoid and he replied "whatever makes it happen". He then went on to tell me that some people tell him that Chevron causes it and Shell fixes it, then the next guy will tell him the exact opposite. In a lot of cases the guage will read 3/4 of a tank when you have a 1/4 also. You definately need to watch your trip odometer.
The other thing that I have heard is that some fuel mixtures are to blame, something about sulpher or ???? that Gm changed the sending unit in 02' and then changed again in 04' and only 02-03 are experiencing this problem. Every one says that it starts at 25k plus and that it gets worse as time goes on. I'm up to 29k, and mine would return to normal if I put a couple of gallons in at first. Now it has to be filled and even then is slow to respond. But it doesn't happen on every tank of gas.
I use Techron, and not just the fuel injector cleaner with it, but the full blown Techron. I was using Sunoco, but have had it happen with just about every brand of gas but BP/Amoco, which I for some reason don't want to use. (probably one of those things that my father told me 25 yrs ago about one of them?????).
Oh well another .02 in the pot.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
REDVETTES
7th Gear

I had the same erratic fuel guage problem on my 02. Had long friendly discussion with mechanic at dealer after they fixed it under warranty. I'm also retired employee of major oil company. Problem is not fuel related, but apparantly the car has two sides to the gas tank with two sending units. One goes bad and screws up the readings to the fuel guage. It is usually intermitent... some times you fuel up and guage will read 3/4, other times the guage will drop 1/4 to 1/2 in just a few minutes.Seems to be a known defect with the vehicle and you could probably make a strong case for warranty repair even if you are out of time or miles. Good luck.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:16 AM
EHS
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Orlandoz06
...I know some people are having problems with the DIC part that deals with fuel, but have not seen anyone mentioning my problem.
This has been a known problem with the C5 for years -- there are posts all over the place.

You can try the warranty fix, or some Techron.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:10 AM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thud
The fuel guages have been known to register 1/4 full when they are in fact nearly empty. Thus, the "reserve" light never comes on.

Other times, the gas guage will go from 1/2 full straight to empty and the "check guages" light will be glaring at you even if you have plenty of fuel.

Only GM could screw up something as simple as a fuel guage.

Anyway, as long as I'm using Chevron gas, it doesn't seem to have a problem.
Just for the record this is not a fuel gauge problem... It is a problem in the tank with the senor reading the float level. From what I understand it is caused by some sort of sulfer build up over time, from additives in the gas. Most gasoline brands supposively have additional additives that are suppose to counter this. As mentioned, it seems the Chevon has the best handle on this.

You guys might want to check the C5 Tech and General from time to time... The large number of non Z06 C5s are going to show common problems quickly.

You can purchase Techron from most auto supply stores ($10), this seems to be doing the trick with 2 usages... If you don't want to try the Techron, a dealership will be happy to replace sensors for about $350. Good Luck

As you can see by my Avatar I am a regular C5

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel guage

Quick Reply: [Z06] Fuel guage