C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get through the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
abetaque
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get through the firewall?

Hey everyone -

I'm trying to install a ZR3 laser shifter, and I can't figure a way through the firewall. One post mentioned a small opening in the foam mat on the driver's side just to the left of the steering column from the inside, but in my car that opening doesn't actually go all the way through the firewall.... It just goes through the foam mat. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Av8ter
Burning Brakes

Im not sure if its changed in the C6 but in my 02 Z06 I went through the rubber grommet that the hood opening cable goes through. I used a 1/8 drill bit and drilled a hole through the grommet. When you remove the drill bit the hole closes back up which is good because it will seal around the wires or whatever. I used a coat hanger afterwards to pull the wires through.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:10 PM
yellow1
Instructor

Default Platic straw

I haven't done this in a Vette but in the past...found an existing hole with a gromet and slipped a plastic drinking straw through its center hole. I was then able to feed the wire through the straw with a little difficulty. Precludes drilling the gromet and if you remove the straw afterward pretty much seals the hole (depending upon the size of wire).
Old 04-05-2005, 02:49 PM
OttoNP
Racer

These is a large one just behind the battery on the passenger side, be careful not to damage any of the harnesses or you'll be in a world of trouble....

Get notified of new replies

To How to get through the firewall?

Quick Reply: How to get through the firewall?