C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hello All, new here with a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:05 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello All, new here with a question

My 89 TPI has had a miss at idle since I got it 4 years ago. Recently it has gotten worse and it's time to fix it before the summer. My local machine shop told me the L98 alloy heads have a problem with the valve guides getting loose and floating, causeing the rough idle. Yet at cruise there is no noticeable problem. I have no clue as to how many miles are on this engine. Does this sound like a possible explaination to the miss?
Old 04-02-2005, 05:13 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

damn. your machine shop knows nothing of what they speak...

the valve SEALS go bad, causing oil leaking. As for the guides? if they moved, you would have some much bigger problems, and it would be all over the rev range, and, it won't last long before one of them jammed. Which would be bad.

More then likely, you have a miss caused by a bad wire or plug.

I would start with a simple tune up and move from there.

If it isn't a tune up related problem, it is valve related, but I would bet it's a lazy lifter or a bad rocker or a rocker out of adjustment.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Z51L9889
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As bogus suggested, check the plug wires and vacuum hoses. Also, check the idle air passages in the throttle body to make sure they are clear. They tend to get a bunch of carbon build-up over time. Remove the hose from the throttle body, open the throttle plate, and rub the inside of the throttle body with carb cleaner until the carbon build-up is gone.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:22 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Default Bogus, it didn't make sense to me and

thats why I asked here. It has had a full tune up so the other possibles you mentioned make sense. I hadn't planned on giving the shop my heads for a rebuild as I can't do with much down time. my plan was to buy a new set of stock alloys and do the job over a weekend. maybe I should have a set of lifters on hand also?
I have to stand emissions testing here on the ant hill so the engine is bone stock, but this old disabled vet likes his performance too. So I'll listen to all suggestions on heads or lifters or any thing else I should do while its down.

Salt is for steaks, not our roads!
Old 04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I doubt its your heads...An EGR valve and injectors usually solve the rough idle in vettes, considering all tune up parts are new. Of course, wer'e all guessing. I'd check for codes, decarbon your entire intake tract, clean the TB, free stuff that you can do first. Take it from there.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Default No codes as I even shot the lock off

my wallet and have the Diacom software for reading all running values and pulling codes. The EGR was changed while the tubes and phleum were off for another reason and that made no difference. I usually use a bottle of Techron twice a year but have never changed any injectors to date. Besides the rough idle and not passing the emission tests it runs good enough to **** off my son with his 9C-1 96 LT1 caprice
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Mad-Mic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while you have the throttle body off pull the IAC and clean that real good same way. carb cleaner. that should smooth out your idle.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:25 PM
waynesTPI
Advanced

Default Thanks guys and keep it coming as

I will print out this thread. another reason I'm doing the big weekend job is a coolant leak on the manifold to head thats has been there for a couple of years. I have heard that I should use the Fel-pros instead of the OEM ones, is that correct?
Old 04-02-2005, 09:29 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Fel Pro's Might as well put injectors in if yours are original and have it torn apart.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:42 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

At night in the dark with the engine idling, look at all of the plug wires and see if there is a spark to ground along their length and at the spark plug boot. Are all your plug wire guides intact? The guides keep the plug wires away from grounded metal which can cause the spark to jump through pinholes in even new plug wires. New or not, measure the resistance of each plug wire, they should be approximately 5000 ohms per foot and wiggle each end to ensure that the ends do not have intermittent connection ( ohmeter should remain steady when wiggling).
Old 04-03-2005, 01:22 AM
olman
Racer

I had an injector make mine act like that an it didn't have that many miles on it. Ignition can do that too.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Alzado77
Racer

Just a thought but make sure nobody has installed a modified chip. I had one installed and it would cause a slight miss as you described. Took it out and installed an original and it went away. I've since had one burned that turns the fans on earlier but didn't have anything else modified. For some reason my corvette only likes the original chip.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello All, new here with a question

Quick Reply: Hello All, new here with a question