C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to replace the gas gauge sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 03:28 PM
ismithlj
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to replace the gas gauge sending unit

I need to replace the gas gauge sending unit in my 63. Can this be done with the tank in the car? I can see where it is screwed in on the underside of the tank, do I just use the sending unit tool to unscrew it and just pull it out? I assume that the tank needs to be drained, what is the best way to do this without making a mess?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Bill J
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has been a while since I did it in the car but it is posssible. Run the tank down low first. Maybe 1 inch of gas left when looking through the filler neck. I jack the pass side up as high as possible and install 2 jack stands. You don't need the room but the jacking causes the remaining gas to go to the drivers side of the tank away from the sender. Remove the line and wires. Have a rag handy to catch the gas from the line. Use a brass punch to turn the retainer 90 degrees or so and it will pop out. Replace rubber o-ring and install new sender. Start the lock ring by pressing up on the sender. That is the hardest part of the job. Use new fuel line too.

One more thought, test the sender before installing it. Sometimes new ones don't work.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

You'll also want to drop your spare tire carrier.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:28 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

All above is correct but I must add, you might think that pulling the hose and draining the tank into a gas can will empty the tank. It will not. There will be another 1/2 gallon in there which will drop straight down on your trouble light when you remove the bung probably causing an explosion and possibly killing you. SIPHON ALL YOU CAN out of the tank and keep your trouble light well out of the way. This happened to a freind of mine. Amazingly the trouble light did not explode.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:58 AM
dknowles67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a brass punch to turn the retainer
Don't try and do this with steel. You can generate a spark, and also blow yourself up. They make special tools for dealing with gas vapors.
Don't underestimate the danger.
Stay safe.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace the gas gauge sending unit

Quick Reply: How to replace the gas gauge sending unit