C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you change the engine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:16 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Default How do you change the engine belt?

I want to swap my belt as it's making a chirping noise, but I can't find any do-it-yourself directions. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-22-2005, 11:03 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Patches posted a diagram here once....its actually pretty simple...do the A/C belt while you are at it.....put a wrench on the tensioner to give you some slack..just pay attention to the routing...changing both belts shouldn't take ya more than 30 minutes
Old 03-22-2005, 11:14 AM
TOPGUN9
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply drew a diagram of how the serpentine belt was looped around all the pulleys. Put a wrench on the tensioner to give you some slack. Real simple process.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I think this is the same belt diagram Patches has posted in the past. Hope it helps.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:36 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have posted this many times, including the diagram and my identification of the components.

You have two belt systems on your car. One is the drive belt system, the other is the air conditioner belt system.
The drive belt system consists of the serpentine belt,the power steering pump, alternator/gen, water pump, harmonic balancer, idler pulley,belt auto tensioner pulley.
The AC belt system consists of the compressor, harmonic balancer,idler pulley, belt auto tensioner pulley.
First thing you need to do is isolate which system is squeaking. this can be done by releasing tension on the drive belt tensioner and removing the serp belt. This is the outboard belt of the two belt systems..if the squeak goes away, then it is the belt or a component of the drive system.
If the squeak is still there, then it is a component of the ac belt system.
to verify this release the belt tension from the tensioner and remove the belt. if the squeak goes away, then it is a component of the ac belt system..
A common problem is the belt tensioner on either system.. but verifying which system is at fault is the proper procedure.
You could replace both belts, but you may still have the squeak. So if you want to find the culprit, isolate the system, then spray the belt of the offending system and see if the squeak goes away. Try to stay away from the idler and tensioner while spaying..
I find that belt dressing may be good to identify a belt problem, but it is a temporary fix at best..
The real problem has been the tensioner and the idler.. both of these components have a sealed bearing which has been know to dry up or redirect the grease away from the bearing, thus causing the squeak.
If you find that a belt change does not correct the problem, then a change of both the idler and tensioner pulley is in order. If you just change the idler or the tensioner alone, it will cause the other component to go bad in a month or so. This has been the case with many members..There was a change made to the dusts seals to help correct this problem in newer C5's.
Lots of tensioner and idler pulleys have been identified as a problem.. and it can effect either system. One is not more prevalent than the other. So find out which system is squeaking first, in the drive belt system, it could also be the bearing of the alternator, power steering pump, or water pump too, but these are less probable.
I hope this makes things alittle clearer

ET

Get notified of new replies

To How do you change the engine belt?

Quick Reply: How do you change the engine belt?