C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

i think i installed the cam 1 tooth off..

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
mos90
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default i think i installed the cam 1 tooth off..

1) compession is only about 155 psi.. should be 190
2) will backfire through the intake unless a raise the timing very high.
3) raw fuel in the intake and exhaust..

do all these signs point to a LARGE mistake on installing the cam???
Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

yes
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
mos90
Drifting

!#$%^&^&**)I&**(

ive put 50 cams in and have NEVER screwed up...until now..

did i mention a large amount of grey or white smoke..

how should i check to make sure, without pulling timing cover??

Last edited by mos90; 03-21-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:00 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mos90
!#$%^&^&**)I&**(

how should i check to make sure, without pulling timing cover??
Have you double-checked the lifter preload adjustment to make sure one of them isn't being held open by too tight an adjustment?

I'd do that first before tearing into the engine again.

The only way I know of checking it is with a degree wheel and a dial indicator on the #1 intake pushrod. Setting that up can be almost as much work as pulling the TC cover though.

Jake
Old 03-21-2005, 06:02 PM
mos90
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAKE
Have you double-checked the lifter preload adjustment to make sure one of them isn't being held open by too tight an adjustment?

I'd do that first before tearing into the engine again.

Jake
yes.. too many problems for just lifter preload...

timing wouldnt help if it was lifter adjustment...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

timing wouldnt help if it was lifter adjustment...
That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. I ALWAYS check the easier stuff first.

Jake
Old 03-21-2005, 06:31 PM
siggy_freud
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K.i.s.s.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or the distributor could be installed out of phase. Making radical timing adjustments will change the operating characteristics if the distributor is off a tooth too.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:36 PM
mos90
Drifting

That's an assumption I'm not willing to make. I ALWAYS check the easier stuff first.

Jake
i will check the drivers side tomarrow.. just to be save.

and lt4..positon of the dist will not matter if you can your desired base timing. and im at 6* so that rules out a crank timing issue..

i just checked the to see when the cam was opening and closing. it is hard to see 90*past tdc so i will use the intake valve in reference to tdc.
the #1 intake valve will start to open just as soon you pass tdc on the #1 cylinder. this is the end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke.. does that sound right?? is that when it should open?
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

the #1 intake valve will start to open just as soon you pass tdc on the #1 cylinder. this is the end of the exhaust stroke and beginning of the intake stroke.. does that sound right?? is that when it should open?
NO! The intake should start to open BEFORE TDC. Your timing card will tell you by how much. Also, the exhaust will close after TDC.
This has ME concerned much as anything else, you've mentioned. It sounds like you may be consuming water. It's possible your problems have nothing to do with the camshaft or valve train.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

NO! The intake should start to open BEFORE TDC. Your timing card will tell you by how much. Also, the exhaust will close after TDC.
This has ME concerned as much as anything else, you've mentioned. It sounds like you may be consuming water. It's possible your problems have nothing to do with the camshaft or valve train.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:41 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
NO! The intake should start to open BEFORE TDC. Your timing card will tell you by how much. Also, the exhaust will close after TDC. This has ME concerned as much as anything else, you've mentioned. It sounds like you may be consuming water. It's possible your problems have nothing to do with the camshaft or valve train.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:48 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

White smoke out the muffler is coolant or exhaust condensation. Condensation should go away after the engine runs a while.

If it's coolant it can also show up in the oil pan and with one or more plug tips lacking any color. Radiator coolant level will drop too.

Blueish smoke is excess fuel; plug(s) will look dark colored. Plugs that are too cold will end up showing the same condition.

Black smoke is oil (you can usually rub your fingers inside the tail pipe and feel it).

Jake
Old 03-21-2005, 09:00 PM
mos90
Drifting

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
NO! The intake should start to open BEFORE TDC. Your timing card will tell you by how much. Also, the exhaust will close after TDC. This has ME concerned as much as anything else, you've mentioned. It sounds like you may be consuming water. It's possible your problems have nothing to do with the camshaft or valve train.

RACE ON!!!
update... my cam card say intake valve will open at 4.7* btdc. my intake valve is opening at 2* atdc.if you take the teeth on the cam gear, 56, and divide it by 360 you get 6.4* per tooth. i installed the cam 6.4* advanced.. that is why it runs better when i advance the timing to 13 or 14 *vs. 6*

as far as my smoke being water, is it definately not water, it is raw fuel..it is more blue then any other color..

this all stems back to the problem that i am "showing" rich.. when im really not. the o2 sensor is reading the unburned fuel as oxygen which in turn makes the computer think im lean, thus adding fuel when not needed. making my blm fall to 108..

Last edited by mos90; 03-21-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:13 PM
FoolCrzy
Melting Slicks

Good Luck!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:47 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

as far as my smoke being water, is it definately not water, it is raw fuel..it is more blue then any other color....
Sorry. I can only go by what you tell us. *I* can't see it from here.
did i mention a large amount of grey or white smoke....

this all stems back to the problem that i am "showing" rich.. when im really not. the o2 sensor is reading the unburned fuel as oxygen which in turn makes the computer think im lean, thus adding fuel when not needed. making my blm fall to 108
That must be a very special O2, that senses HCs as oxygen. A rich mixture results in a greater than normal amount of the oxygen being consumed during the combustion precess. The oxygen poor exhaust is read as a "rich" mixture. The O2 is an oxygen sensor. It doesn't know or recognize "unburned fuel".

Blueish smoke is excess fuel; plug(s) will look dark colored. Plugs that are too cold will end up showing the same condition.

Black smoke is oil (you can usually rub your fingers inside the tail pipe and feel it).
Jake,
I think you have your blue and black mixed up. Blue is oil. Black (sooty) is excess fuel.

RACE ON!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Mos90: Here is something you may try! You will have to pull the valve covers to do it! Assuming your "0" degree timing mark is accurate, the #1 valves will be fully closed when you are TDC on the #1 combustion stroke. As the #1 cylinder comes to TDC, The #6 valves are "rocking". That is one #6 valve has just closed (at the #1 TDC point) and the other #6 valve immediately begins to open as the crank is turned just a few degrees. If you cam is not in the correct position, the #6 valves will not be rocking as you pass the #1 TDC point. I have used this method to determine when I am on the combusion stroke for #1. I know someone who is in a hurry and has forgot to mark the location of the distributor before it is pulled Hope this helps you!
SAM
Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 AM
olman
Racer

[QUOTE=mos90]!#$%^&^&**)I&**(

.. I know your pain. Last one I did I missed it by 5 teeth I still can't believe it It ran fine just with no power. Can't remember if it was advanced or retarded. I'm actually supprised it ran at all. Start pullin it down.

Get notified of new replies

To i think i installed the cam 1 tooth off..

Quick Reply: i think i installed the cam 1 tooth off..