Sponsored by:

Proper Jacking Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:19 PM
pops98
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proper Jacking Procedure

I have followed along a few threads and know about the jacking pads to prevent damage to the underside of the rocker panels, but after you get car lifted, where do you place the stands.
I would like to get my car on stands so I can paint my calipers, clean the backside of my wheels, and detail the wheel wells.
I am not sure where to place the jack stands under the car. and not damage anything, Pictures would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 08:24 PM
indy300
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Target Chaser
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Machine Silver Z06 The Golden State......... Bay Area
St. Jude Donor '05

I can't believe no one has chimed in to help you.

Easiest way to put the car on jack stands is to purchase a pair of Rhino ramps (the gray ones). Drive the car up on the ramps. Lift the rear of the car at the cross member with a 2x6 block of wood and then place the jack stands at the jacking points where the pucks (with pucks installed obviously) go in the rear. Then do the same to the front. The ramps assist in getting the front of the car up high enough to get a floor jack underneath the front so you can get at the front cross member.

The pucks come in handy individually when you just want to lift one tire at a time with a floor jack or are lifting it with a lift. But they do no good to lift the car to use jack stands, you must lift at the cross members to use jack stands on the pucks. I personally never leave jack stands under the cross members but some guys do.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:39 PM
tmcclaff
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Originally Posted by Target Chaser

Easiest way to put the car on jack stands is to purchase a pair of Rhino ramps (the gray ones). Drive the car up on the ramps. Lift the rear of the car at the cross member with a 2x6 block of wood and then place the jack stands at the jacking points where the pucks (with pucks installed obviously) go in the rear. Then do the same to the front. The ramps assist in getting the front of the car up high enough to get a floor jack underneath the front so you can get at the front cross member.

The pucks come in handy individually when you just want to lift one tire at a time with a floor jack or are lifting it with a lift. But they do no good to lift the car to use jack stands, you must lift at the cross members to use jack stands on the pucks. I personally never leave jack stands under the cross members but some guys do.

That About sums it up

Good Luck
Old 03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Elite Engineering
Supporting Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Target Chaser

Purchase the Rhino Ramps with the "Corvette" pictured on the box. They are a little lower than the standard set.

Click for Elite Engineering
Old 03-15-2005, 12:17 AM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

My car is jacked up right now. I just put a race jack on the two front sides where it shows in the manual, jacked it up, and put the front end on jack stands across the ribs of the frame.

Rear end I just lifted up across the ribs of the frame with the jack and it's sitting on it overnight (only have 2 jack stands. haha). *flame suit on*
Old 03-15-2005, 12:20 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

http://www.idavette.net/hib/C5diy/c5diy1.htm
Old 03-15-2005, 12:22 AM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Here's mine up on stands. I have the pucks but have never used them. I use 2X6's under the front and rear subframes. I jack the car up in the middle of the subframe with the 2X6 and then lower it down onto the two jack stands. One on either side of the hydraulic jack. You jack up the front first then the rear. I can get the car up in about 10 minutes. Probably less. I first drive the car up on 2" styrofoam which gets the car high enough to get the jack under the front air dam and to the crossmember. I think that's it. Any questions let us know.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:31 AM
Vetteran
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07

This is how I do it. It works the same for the front;

Guess I should clean my stands!

Last edited by Vetteran; 03-15-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
pops98
Instructor

Thanks for the information. I feel a little more confident that I won't cause any damage.
Thanks Vetteran and Stockman for the excellent pictures.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:13 PM
The Kid
Racer

Now that you have had the Q answered, I have a question.

Who else giggled when you read the title?

Later.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Vettedream04
Racer

Vetteran or Anyone esle,

Do you have the pics of the FRONT as well - where you jack the front? AWESOME pics of the BACK but I find it easier to do the back then the front and wanted to be 100% sure as to where to place the lift jack.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Proper Jacking Procedure

Quick Reply: Proper Jacking Procedure