Sponsored by:

Ceramic Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Trocness
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic Pads

I'm installing eradispeed rotors and I bought a set of Delco Dura-Stop ceramic pads as well. I read they are quieter and give out less dust than the factory pads. My mechanic says the ceramic pads will be very noisy with the cross-drilled/slotted rotors, and to use the original pads. Opinions?
Old 03-07-2005, 05:54 PM
KODAK
Instructor

I just put on some brand new ceramic delco's...WOW what a difference ON BRAKE DUST!! You will be happy with them. I don't have drilled rotors so I can't say anything good or bad regarding them. Good luck and enjoy your cleaner wheels!
Old 03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

any pad on a drilled rotor will make some noise. That noise is from the rotors holes scrapping the pads. Kinda like a whorling noise.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
any pad on a drilled rotor will make some noise. That noise is from the rotors holes scrapping the pads. Kinda like a whorling noise.
Ive had my drilled and slotted rotors for four years and put 55,000 miles on them. I have no noise, whorling or otherwise... As far as ceramics go... in my opinion they are garbage.. they make noise and are too hard,, the hardness is why they dust less, but with that hardness you get increased surface temperature which will discolor you drilled and slotted rotors.,.. as far as a one time panic stop with ceramics... they suck... again this is my opinion... I use the OEM factory pads with my Drilled and slotted rotors, and they work fantastically specially with a one time panic stop,,, they do not need to be heated up.. the ceramics dust less because they are harder, but at the price of discoloring your rotors...I have no issues with OEM pads dusting... I take care of my tires, wheels and rotors all the time...
Here is a picture of my four year old Eradispeed rotors with 55,000 miles on them taken two months ago..

Car is sitting high because it just came off jack stands

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 03-07-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Drilled and slotted sportbrakes, ceramic pads, no noises, and no problems with discoloration. However, I will have to say the dust level is just a little less than regular brake pads, but the dust is so light it is hard to see, until you wipe the rims.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:30 PM
CaptainMike
Pro

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Ive had my drilled and slotted rotors for four years and put 55,000 miles on them. I have no noise, whorling or otherwise... As far as ceramics go... in my opinion they are garbage.. they make noise and are too hard,, the hardness is why they dust less, but with that hardness you get increased surface temperature which will discolor you drilled and slotted rotors.,.. as far as a one time panic stop with ceramics... they suck... again this is my opinion... I use the OEM factory pads with my Drilled and slotted rotors, and they work fantastically specially with a one time panic stop,,, they do not need to be heated up.. the ceramics dust less because they are harder, but at the price of discoloring your rotors...I have no misses with OEM pads dusting... I take care of my tires, wheels and rotors all the time...
Here is a picture of my four year old Eradispeed rotors with 55,000 miles on them taken two months ago..
Your car looks fabulous by the way.....I don't know where you are getting your opinion, but the literature I have found is fairly consistent on ceramic pads:
"For most drivers, ceramic friction technology offers a number of performance advantages:

1. Elimination of brake squeal and grinding. Tests show that ceramic formulations, optimized for specific vehicle applications, are ideal for controlling and/or eliminating brake noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) issues.

These formulations also are designed to provide superior pad life and durability versus traditional brake pads in typical driving conditions, where temperatures range up to 250 degrees Celsius (482 degrees Fahrenheit).

2. More consistent stopping power. In critical braking situations, ceramic brake pads provide more consistent stopping power than semi-metallic pads.

Performance tests simulating both normal and panic stops indicate ceramic pads experience a minimal change in friction stability (or stopping power).

Under the same panic conditions, semi-metallic pads lose up to three times as much, which equates to a loss of more than one-third of the brake's stopping power.

3. Ultra-low dusting. Another significant customer complaint associated with brake performance is wheel dusting, especially involving semi-metallic pads.

The materials used in ceramic brake pads are more compatible with today's popular aluminum, open-wheel designs. This means elimination of the appearance of dusting.

4. Reduced rotor thickness variation. Ceramic brake pads also minimize rotor thickness variation and resulting pedal pulsation. Uniquely shaped ceramic particles are less abrasive to rotor surfaces.

In addition, ceramic pads tend to contact the rotor in a more adhesive fashion to slow the wheel as compared to semi-metallics and other pads."
Old 03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
C5 MANIAC
Racer

I have HAWK PADS I've just put on my VNM X-drilled and slotted rotors..........................LOTS OF DUST! If I had it to do over I would go with CERAMICS! (Before I get ripped on, the Hawks work great!)
Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I have seen many people here post pictures of their rotors with ceramic pads...when I originally posted this information , many people pm'd me..
and showed me their discolored rotors.. some posted in an open forum and other did not...and posted privately.. I mean no disrespect to you, and I would suggest with all that information you just posted, to use ceramic pads. I used them for about a month , they did nothing but squeal and almost ruined my rotors.. their panic stop ability was horrible...and they were Hawk ceramics. a few years back many people here on the forum were getting into drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads.. most of those people found the same thing I did... and now have them as a paper weight. I am not about to get into a debate on ceramic pads.. I'm just offering my opinion to the original poster.. my rotors speak for themself...My car continues to stop when I apply the brakes too....which is always a plus.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
DsC5
Race Director

I have Eradispeeds and GM ceramics, and don't have any issues, discoloration or otherwise. Sure, they stop a little bit less forcefully, but since I'm not tracking the car, it's more or less a non-issue. Next to no brake dust, a welcome change from Z06 pads, and it's a no brainer for me.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen many people here post pictures of their rotors with ceramic pads...when I originally posted this information , many people pm'd me..
and showed me their discolored rotors.. some posted in an open forum and other did not...and posted privately.. I mean no disrespect to you, and I would suggest with all that information you just posted, to use ceramic pads. I used them for about a month , they did nothing but squeal and almost ruined my rotors.. their panic stop ability was horrible...and they were Hawk ceramics. a few years back many people here on the forum were getting into drilled and slotted rotors, and ceramic pads.. most of those people found the same thing I did... and now have them as a paper weight. I am not about to get into a debate on ceramic pads.. I'm just offering my opinion to the original poster.. my rotors speak for themself...My car continues to stop when I apply the brakes too....which is always a plus.
I agreee with Evil on the discolored rotor with ceramic pads. That was the very first thing I noticed with tne new Delco Ceramic dura stops.
They require more pressure than Z06 pads to stop and the rotors seem to heat up more. I have brand new Dura stop pads on brand new Dura stop crossed drilled and slotted rotors. The Z06 pads are great for stopping, but they suck on dusting.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Trocness
Advanced

Hey Evil-Twin, Thanks for the info. That is exactly what I asked for --- opinions. I appreciate the detail you gave and FYI, my mechanic agrees with you. Looks like I'll be staying with the stock pads. Those eradispeeds are way to costly to risk damage.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Stock Man
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

All good to know. I have my new rotors and GM pads installed. I'll have to wait and see what the dusting is like with the drilled and slotted verses the stock rotors.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:04 AM
JOHN MOORE
Instructor

eradispeed d/s rotors and ceramic pads from tire rack...great combo....
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 AM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Stock Man
All good to know. I have my new rotors and GM pads installed. I'll have to wait and see what the dusting is like with the drilled and slotted verses the stock rotors.
I put new drilled and slotted rotors with new oem pads, and there seems to be maybe 50% LESS dust than I had with the factory pads and rotors. Don't know why.....
Old 03-08-2005, 10:27 AM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

I've had ceramic pads on my Baer drilled and slotted rotors for over 2 years, never any noise.

Last edited by 90 droptop; 03-08-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:59 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMike50
These formulations also are designed to provide superior pad life and durability versus traditional brake pads in typical driving conditions, where temperatures range up to 250 degrees Celsius (482 degrees Fahrenheit).
the only problem here is for any brakes to work properly the temps are WELL ABOVE 500* F

2. More consistent stopping power. In critical braking situations, ceramic brake pads provide more consistent stopping power than semi-metallic pads.

Performance tests simulating both normal and panic stops indicate ceramic pads experience a minimal change in friction stability (or stopping power).

Under the same panic conditions, semi-metallic pads lose up to three times as much, which equates to a loss of more than one-third of the brake's stopping power.
Not sure where this comes from but with personal use off all different kinds and types of brake pads on my different vehicals, ceramics were OK for normal stopping. HOWEVER, and this is a big however, cermaic pads do NOT WORK WELL IN EMERGANCEY AND/OR HARD BRAKING in these situations brake temps can exceed 1000* F and cause iron rotors to GLOW bright ORANGE.

3. Ultra-low dusting. Another significant customer complaint associated with brake performance is wheel dusting, especially involving semi-metallic pads.

The materials used in ceramic brake pads are more compatible with today's popular aluminum, open-wheel designs. This means elimination of the appearance of dusting.
Granted they are lower dust, but that is really the only advantage. Personally, washing wheels is not a big deal.

4. Reduced rotor thickness variation. Ceramic brake pads also minimize rotor thickness variation and resulting pedal pulsation. Uniquely shaped ceramic particles are less abrasive to rotor surfaces.

In addition, ceramic pads tend to contact the rotor in a more adhesive fashion to slow the wheel as compared to semi-metallics and other pads."
Peddle pulsating feelings or what some ppl think is a warpped rotors is, in most cases, the result of improper bedding of the new pad or new rotor cause an uneavel pad materal depostion on the rotor.

What is braking or slowing down anyway? it is the transfer of energy in motion, kinetic energy, to energy at rest, static energy. This energy trasfer or stopping is acomplished by friction to slow the car down and the resulting excess energy is HEAT. So by increasing the friction or abrasion between the rotor and brake pad, heat is produced and the car slows down.

Lots of great reading on the Big brake sites. Check out the Tech or FAQ sections.

http://www.stoptech.com and http://www.wilwood.com

in short Ceramic pads are OK for normal street driving, but not hard or any emergancy braking. and never for track time or a High Performance Drivers Education.

Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 PM
3RD-INF
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the cross drilled/slotted rotors from sportsbrake. Also have the GM ceramic pads. They have been on for over a year now. There is no discoloration on the rotors at all. There is hardly any dust. The combo seems to work as good as the factory set up. Every one says that the stopping of the ceramic pads will take about 5% longer. This I have noticed, but if you take that into consideration, there shouldn't be a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Pads

Old 03-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The stock pads will work just fine. I have a set of the Hawk HPS pads on mine and I kind of wish I had just stuck with the stock ones. My rotors are a bit discolored from using them.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM
FLL-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Drilled and slotted sportbrakes, ceramic pads, no noises, and no problems with discoloration. However, I will have to say the dust level is just a little less than regular brake pads, but the dust is so light it is hard to see, until you wipe the rims.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:03 PM
BAMF AE
Safety Car

Location: The Surgeon General has warned that it's ok to smoke mustangs!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Ive had my drilled and slotted rotors for four years and put 55,000 miles on them. I have no noise, whorling or otherwise... As far as ceramics go... in my opinion they are garbage.. they make noise and are too hard,, the hardness is why they dust less, but with that hardness you get increased surface temperature which will discolor you drilled and slotted rotors.,.. as far as a one time panic stop with ceramics... they suck... again this is my opinion... I use the OEM factory pads with my Drilled and slotted rotors, and they work fantastically specially with a one time panic stop,,, they do not need to be heated up.. the ceramics dust less because they are harder, but at the price of discoloring your rotors...I have no issues with OEM pads dusting... I take care of my tires, wheels and rotors all the time...

Car is sitting high because it just came off jack stands

Your car looks incredible....and don't think I didn't notice that hood scoop...Looks like a maggie hidden underneath! Hard to believe your rotors are four years old though!!!!! They look brand new! Have you had any cracking problems with them thus far. Lots of people have mentioned that the slotted rotors tend to crack!

Beautiful car bro!

Quick Reply: Ceramic Pads