C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matching Numbers - Which #'s Actually Match

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 04:32 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Matching Numbers - Which #'s Actually Match

I've been wanting to ask this since I got my Vette less than a year ago. Without having to buy the Black Book, if I saw a matching numbers ad I would expect the VIN to match the engine block, transmission, and maybe the differential. My question is: What numbers in the VIN are supposed to match the components of the car? Surely it's not all. Are the numbers going to be the same, or does a particular set of VIN numbers match a totally different but unique set of numbers on the block, trans, and diff? If so, I guess I'd have to get that from the black book. I know lots of you know these answers, so please respond for all us new Vette owners. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:49 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

on the block there are 2 set of numbers that are casted on the block. one is the date cast or when it was made, and the other one is the cast to tell you what it is. the one on the pass side under the head is the one you want it is stamped on. that is were your vin is stamped on. that is waht they mean by numners match. the vin is not stramped on the trans or rear, they are just date coded.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:53 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

The tranny has the vin code but not the diff.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:57 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvgreg
The tranny has the vin code but not the diff.
on what years is it on munices, bog and warner, or on autos
Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 PM
corvgreg
Emerging Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm most familiar with 68-72's and all of them had the vin on the Muncies and the TH400 had a metal tag with the vin info.

Greg
Old 03-05-2005, 05:22 PM
platato
Pro

Location: The Armpit of Illinois Platato says..... "Sometimes your the windshield & sometimes your the bug".
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
My question is: What numbers in the VIN are supposed to match the components of the car? Surely it's not all.
Oh geez, this thread is gonna get me killed!

When most people refer to matching numbers they are referring to the engine and drivetrain. That said, it gets a bit more complicated when you talk Vettes specifically. Unlike the other makes/models, Corvettes can be judged by an organization whose purpose is to award owners who have preserved or restored their vehicle as close to perfectly as possible. The idea is to preserve the integrity of the vehicle for historical purposes.

Here's where I'm gonna get killed. It has been my goal to ensure Shark81 is 100% numbers matching and I'm very close. My goal has always been that every part (no matter how minor) is exactly correct for the vehicle both in part number & date code. Ex: bolts, hoses, starters, spark plugs, glass, tires, heater core etc. etc. etc. Paint is another issue. While there are no "numbers" there is a specific type of paint which is correct.

Now, there will be a few who really disagree with this type of restoration as the car becomes undriveable. Other will say that, "why would you do this to an 81?" contending that it will never be worth anything. Well, it's really a personal thing and everyone has opinions. I'm restoring the Vette this way because I do believe it will be worth more than most of the other 81's, I really bought it to look at anyway and this type of restoration is a huge challenge which brings me alot of pleasure.

Finally, I am currently looking for another 81 Vette. The new one will be a hot rod roadster project I've been planning for quite awhile. This car will be for show as well but also to DRIVE. My plan is to have 2 81's, one the way the general intended and one the way the general SHOULD have built it. The way I see it, I get the best of both worlds and can belong to both NCRS's I don't want to give my plan away yet but think aluminum 427 and some great references to a 67!

STW! Platato

Last edited by platato; 03-05-2005 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by corvgreg
I'm most familiar with 68-72's and all of them had the vin on the Muncies and the TH400 had a metal tag with the vin info.

Greg
so they are not stamped or casted on. thats what I thought
Old 03-05-2005, 06:18 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Muncie numbers are stamped
Old 03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by GDaina
so the vin is stamped on the muncie. I know the date is.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you are probably aware, the VIN number contains a great deal of information. Permit me to use my own car to illustrate.
The VIN number is 194379S7XXXXX. This breaks down as: 19437 was used to identify a Sport Coupe from 1965 to 1972. The convertible for the same time period was 19467.
The sixth digit or 9 is the model year, 1969
The letter "S" identifies the assembly plant as St. Louis
The serial number starts with the 7 and has 6 digits. For example, 700025 would have been the 25th car built.

I checked the trans which is currently in the basement and besides the raised or cast in part numbers, it has stamped/punched, vertically 19S7XXXXX. (These numbers are 1/8" tall.) If you were standing on the passenger side of the car looking up at the trans, these numbers are at about the 10 oclock position, at the rear of the main case. This breaks down to:
1 - close ratio, if memory serves.
9 - 1969 model year
S - St. Louis
7XXXXX - this number is the same as the serial number of the car
Another stamped number on my trans is P9A22D which breaks down to
P is source code or Muncie, 9 is model year, A22 is month and date of production A22 being January 22nd, and the last letter, D is day shift
(N would be night shift.)
The engine block, currently at the machine shop, also has the 7XXXXX serial number stamped on the pad/boss which is a machined, flat extention of the block immediately in front of the cylinder head on the passenger side. On the same pad will be another number which, to use the illustration in a General Motors publication, could be F1210HZ. The F means it comes from Flint, 1210 is the month and date of production (December 10th); HZ means its the regular engine 350, Turbo Hydra-Matic

The differential will also bear the six digit serial number stamped or punched into the case. As well there will be another number stamped which can be decoded into whether it is regular or positraction and also the ratio. Again by way of example, AK0212W would break down as AK is a non-posi 3.36 ratio, 0212 is month and date of production, W is the source code for Warren.

It bears mentioning that the production date is the date the component was built, not when the car was made. Original components can be dated a few months earlier than the car. In the case of my car, the transmission was built on January 22 and the car was built on Feb 4

These codes all originate from a GM publication dated September 1968 which was included with the original build sheet for my car which came from GM.

Probably more than you wanted to know.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:39 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by GDaina
This is correct! My trans M-21 has partial vin (namley the last numbers ) stamped in it. My car is a 68 427/435
Old 03-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Intermediate

What comes before the serial number?

Would it happen to be 18S ?

Where is this stamped on the case?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:28 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by 427.435

were you asking me 427/435 ?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by platato
Oh geez, this thread is gonna get me killed!

Here's where I'm gonna get killed. It has been my goal to ensure Shark81 is 100% numbers matching and I'm very close. My goal has always been that every part (no matter how minor) is exactly correct for the vehicle both in part number & date code. Ex: bolts, hoses, starters, spark plugs, glass, tires, heater core etc. etc. etc. Paint is another issue. While there are no "numbers" there is a specific type of paint which is correct.

Now, there will be a few who really disagree with this type of restoration as the car becomes undriveable. Other will say that, "why would you do this to an 81?" contending that it will never be worth anything.
STW! Platato
dude its your car , your time and your money, do what ever turns you on...sounds like you are enjoying yourself.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:11 PM
kettererhouse
Instructor

I can only assume you were asking me? i went down to the garage and doubled checked and yes it starts 18S it is stamped on the pass side of main case right next to the flange for the tail case it is almost vertical kinda at a slant to the front and right behind the cast numbers! it also has numbers right above it punched P8E13
Old 03-05-2005, 09:29 PM
wills670
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
on what years is it on munices, bog and warner, or on autos
my turbo 400 has the metal plate giveing various info. no vin. number thought. but on the right side below the metal tag it has the last numbers of the vin. stamped to the case. my car is a 72
Old 03-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kettererhouse
I can only assume you were asking me? i went down to the garage and doubled checked and yes it starts 18S it is stamped on the pass side of main case right next to the flange for the tail case it is almost vertical kinda at a slant to the front and right behind the cast numbers! it also has numbers right above it punched P8E13
Hope I am not repeating myself. Posted an earlier reply but it seemed to go into cyber space. The 18S verifies the trans to be a 1968 from St. Louis. The P8E13 further decodes to a muncie (P) from 1968 (8) built on May 13 (E13). If there are other letters after this, they can mean D for day shift or N for night shift or another series was A, B or C, for wide ratio, close ratio or rock crusher in that order.

You sir, have an original trans in your car ! ! This is something to be excited about what with all the escapees from the junkyard that are being resurrected because of the increased value today. Remember the transmission was the most abused item if a vehicle was abused at all, so having one that is original is a good sign. She's a keeper !

Get notified of new replies

To Matching Numbers - Which #'s Actually Match

Old 03-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wills670
my turbo 400 has the metal plate giveing various info. no vin. number thought. but on the right side below the metal tag it has the last numbers of the vin. stamped to the case. my car is a 72
My GM information confirms this. The Turbo Hydra_Matic "Nameplate tag on right hand side of the case" under location heading. The code source shown is "CC" for Ypsilanti . What does your tag actually say?

I would guess it to read "-- CC2plus a letter and a number which would represent the month and day of production, A being January and the number being the day in the month. Close?
Old 03-06-2005, 08:39 AM
kettererhouse
Instructor

Hope I am not repeating myself. Posted an earlier reply but it seemed to go into cyber space. The 18S verifies the trans to be a 1968 from St. Louis. The P8E13 further decodes to a muncie (P) from 1968 (8) built on May 13 (E13). If there are other letters after this, they can mean D for day shift or N for night shift or another series was A, B or C, for wide ratio, close ratio or rock crusher in that order.

You sir, have an original trans in your car ! ! This is something to be excited about what with all the escapees from the junkyard that are being resurrected because of the increased value today. Remember the transmission was the most abused item if a vehicle was abused at all, so having one that is original is a good sign. She's a keeper !
Sir i am more than excited, This forum has helped me autenticate this car! thank you forum members, especially Hunt for clean air - Tom out of Myrtle Beach, I hope and trust he is OK! My car IS a factory 427/435
The frame is ROCK solid (car shows 53000 & looks it), The tank sticker shows that it came with the L-71 T.I. ignition, Posi 3.55, M-21, AM-FM, Power brakes, Special off road exhaust (chambered), tele wheel, Trim tags says 988 Cordavan maroon and 420 Saddle trim, And that is exactly what she has no more no less! I have found maroon paint tracing down wiring in her, it has the Big tach big rear spring big caps on the rear axles rear sway Ag ralley wheels! Every where I keep finding that this car IS RIGHT, The 427 has just been punched .030 Forged domes reconditioned dimple rods standard 6223 crank (no twist) Fed Mogul 427/435 grind! yes even the Tri is being rebuilt right now! I lack the restoring of the TI box and distributor!
I have put 3 miles on the car (in one year) and shes tight as tight can be no plastic rattles doors shut SOLID! rear and trans smooth as silk!
The car has an L-88 after market hood! (I NEED A BIG BLOCK HOOD) it has GM 69 side pipes but i have complete alu chambered exhaust, gm front and rear hangers new, original rockers, repops stainless chrome bezels and tips!
only thing not working in the car now is the clock! thats next and shes a 10 footer on paint thats next and back to Cordavan maroon (GM cherry black now & really not bad looking on car!) Being that the trim and paint codes are what they are, a 435 car, and coupe to boot, her numbers have to be LOW!!!! I owe this forum pics and I promise I WILL one day soon, Im a knuckel drager as far as the net goes
Thanks Forum, michael k
Old 03-06-2005, 11:51 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kettererhouse:

One item not mentioned yet, when the term "matching numbers" is often used, most individuals associate this to mean that the engine block and transmission assemblies are original to the car, because the partial vin # stamping on these components reads the same as part of the vin plate that is located on the winshield drivers side post.

HOWEVER, there is a third item that also has this partial vin derivative to indicate an original item to the car. That is the FRAME, the stamping is located on the drivers side in 2 locations and is in the same format that is used on the engine block and transmission housing.

Quick Reply: Matching Numbers - Which #'s Actually Match