C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Fillter Replacement Not on 2003-05

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 AM
Corvette00Car
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Fillter Replacement Not on 2003-05

On many vehicles, the fuel filter is non-serviceable (see table). The filter is an integral part of the fuel pump module and fuel pressure regulator assembly. The filter can be serviced only by replacement of the fuel module assembly. This process requires the removal of the fuel tank (one to two hours of labor, depending on the model), plus several hundred dollars in unnecessary parts.

The vehicle owner’s manual outlines the periodic maintenance service required, under the Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2 guidelines. Routine fuel filter replacement does not appear on either of these schedules.

In the future, due to the increased regulation of evaporative emissions, fuel systems utilizing a non-serviceable filter will become more common as new models are introduced.

Doesn't apply to me but I thought others would be interested.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car
On many vehicles, the fuel filter is non-serviceable (see table). The filter is an integral part of the fuel pump module and fuel pressure regulator assembly. The filter can be serviced only by replacement of the fuel module assembly. This process requires the removal of the fuel tank (one to two hours of labor, depending on the model), plus several hundred dollars in unnecessary parts.

The vehicle owner’s manual outlines the periodic maintenance service required, under the Maintenance 1 and Maintenance 2 guidelines. Routine fuel filter replacement does not appear on either of these schedules.

In the future, due to the increased regulation of evaporative emissions, fuel systems utilizing a non-serviceable filter will become more common as new models are introduced.

I think this blows A##. My '03 car has this FFS fuel system. Ive already had to tear my tank out to replace fuel pump assy , just because my in-tank fuel filter got plugged (watch you race fuel ) Not having a "serviceable" fuel filter in my opinion sucks.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
silverz06vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
I think this blows A##. My '03 car has this FFS fuel system. Ive already had to tear my tank out to replace fuel pump assy , just because my in-tank fuel filter got plugged (watch you race fuel ) Not having a "serviceable" fuel filter in my opinion sucks.

I guess adding an additional filter is not as easy as it is on my John Deere.

Have you looked into it?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:04 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by silverz06vette
I guess adding an additional filter is not as easy as it is on my John Deere.

Have you looked into it?
If the factory fuel filter is inside the tank, there is no place to put an extra filter where it will filter the fuel before it gets to the one in the tank, so the one in the tank would still plug first. Right?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette00Car

I found this out when I decided to replace it. I have an 04.

How about wrapping the gas nozzle with a nice nylon stocking.... when feuling up!!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Fillter Replacement Not on 2003-05

Quick Reply: Fuel Fillter Replacement Not on 2003-05