Sponsored by:

buying out of state

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 04:30 PM
pvknight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying out of state

I'm strongly considering buying a Corvette ('99-'00 black FRC) out of state and was wondering if anyone could describe their own experience in doing so.

Here in So Cal, there is considerable mark-up on all cars, especially Corvettes.

Will I run into a problem with emissions compliance? How well do Vette's stand up to colder climates mechanically, and corrosion wise?

Lastly, any recommended dealers would help a LOT. I'm considering the Vette Store in Michigan and Corvette Palace in Texas.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-31-2005, 04:38 PM
VETLAGD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Contact Ken Mihai at thevettenet.com Top notch organization and has some great automobiles. He helped me buy my 2000 A4... Was with me from the beginning all the way through well after the sale. Would DEFINATELY buy through them again. I am in MS and bought mine from South Florida...

Jason
Old 01-31-2005, 04:40 PM
LV_2_XLR8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend getting a hold of Monica Dean at Maxie-Price Corvettes in Atlanta, GA. They do alot of out-of-state transfers. I bought my wife's vert there and I live in Virginia. You won't find anyone who knows more about Corvettes than Monica and the dealership is first class. Ask anyone who's dealt there.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:58 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

I live in maine and got my vette in rhode island... it was very smooth.. i talked with hte dealer 2 times before i went there... i drove down... did the financing and drove home.... it was delivered a week later as it was supposed to be.... and i saved about $1500 over the local dealer
Old 01-31-2005, 05:30 PM
0Jeff @ TPE
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06 & '12

Originally Posted by pvknight
I'm strongly considering buying a Corvette ('99-'00 black FRC) out of state and was wondering if anyone could describe their own experience in doing so.

Here in So Cal, there is considerable mark-up on all cars, especially Corvettes.

Will I run into a problem with emissions compliance? How well do Vette's stand up to colder climates mechanically, and corrosion wise?

Lastly, any recommended dealers would help a LOT. I'm considering the Vette Store in Michigan and Corvette Palace in Texas.

Thanks,
Brian

Let me start this off by saying this is just my personal opinion...

I live in Las Vegas, NV. We have a nice warm DRY climate. I "Would Not"
by a east coast car or a car that is by the sea. I have seen so many cars destroyed by the climate and salt. THe only way I would do it is if the car had extremely low miles and I had it inspected for salt damage prior to the purchase.

I bought a Navigator out of Texas and the whole bottom of the truck was rusted.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,225 Likes on 13,932 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

thevettenet and Monica at Maxie-Price are very good sources for used or new cars. You will have to comply with CA emission laws, but I would think that all cars are 50 state compliant. You may need to check on that though. Good luck finding the car you really want. There are lots out there.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:42 PM
99C5Vert
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'11

I don't know about emissions issues in California, but otherwise, it pays to shop around. I bought my car out of state with no problems. Just don't pay for anything without personally seeing the car, and you can also ask other forum members in the area to check the car out for you before you fly out.

Also, schedule with a local repair shop to have the car up for an inspection.

As long as you're prepared to fly back without the car if things aren't as promised, you'll do fine.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:07 PM
thug29
Pro

Well let me put a plug in for a dealership that plays it straight and doesn't jerk you around.
I live in BOSTON and found a car on-line in MONTANA @ FICHTNER CHEVROLET.
Now you want to talk about living the life of a gambler, I bought this car "sight unseen" from Mr.Ken Fichtner and I can tell you first hand it was easier than buying a case of beer and a lottery ticket at my corner store !!!
He helped me in everyway possible and believe me I tortured him with endless phone calls day after day with numerous questions and Ken came through everytime.
I had it transported door to door right to my house without a hitch (or scratch) and I couldn't be more satisfied with FICHTNER CHEVROLET !!!
Your a lot closer to Montana than I was...do yourself a favor and at least look them up.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brian,

I can't help with the out of state buying, as I bought mine local (Corvette Country). But, living here in Austin, I would be more than happy to look at a car for you at Corvette Palace. I've visited there a few times, and they always have very nice low milage cars.

Good luck with the search and ultimate purchase.

George
Old 01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Roofless
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I would agree with Ken of thevettenet he is a very sincere and reputable person to deal with, he will not steer you wrong sale or no sale.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:29 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you looked at the cars for sale on this forum and the Vettehound.com??? You could be missing out on a good experience.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:05 PM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

I live in Utah and bought "new" and "sight unseen" from Huntersville, North Carolina, Park Chevrolet. Very easy, had no problems whatsoever. Had the car shipped, and delivered to my driveway. It was a lot of fun and would do it again!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 PM
pvknight
Instructor

Thanks a lot for the response, all that was very helpful.

I am still wary about rust/corrosion problems. I know that these cars are mostly composite but you never can tell who has driven the car how and when in what kind of weather... Did anyone find unexpected corrosion or mechanical problems upon delivery or seeing the car in person?

I will check out the two other sources, and yes, I've been searching the boards for a while even prior to registering a black frc is hard to come by. and thanks for the offer to check out Corvette Palace. I have my eye on an excellent car there but they are a bit pricey.

Brian
Old 01-31-2005, 09:26 PM
00hotvette
Pro

Down here in Florida vettes are a dime a dozzen I bet you could get your self a good deal here. But I would think if you bought one from the northern states you would get a low mileage vett. 99% of vette owners store there cars in the winter.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:29 PM
bogiemanjoe
Instructor

Corvette World in San Antonio Texas (corvetteworldsa.com). They are a top notch organization. They will even arrange shippjng for you.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:18 PM
VA CORVETTE 757
Pro

I'm from Va and I purchased my vette in Ohio. I flew out there and drove it back home. I don't know what your arrangements will be but it was a hell of a lot of fun driving it home for our first date!! My car has had no problems dealing with the elements in it's past life in Ohio. The only problem i have had is with the washer fluid, i think the lines are clogged. Make sure if you do drive it home you get legal tags for it. Yeah, i got in trouble with the Man and it ended up costing me like 150 dollars for that whole ordeal. If you find a great car and a good deal go for it!!! Corvettes are all usually well made and taken care of!!
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM
Cutlass476
Instructor

I bought my 2003 Z06 off of Ebay from Karl Chevrolet. It had 6606 miles on it and was a one owner car. Black on black with all Z06 options. I only saw pictures of it in the Ebay ad and I ran a Carfax. I paid $34001.00 + $149 dealer fee. Karl and Beth were both very professional and the transaction was completely painless. I live in Florida btw and Karl Chevrolet is in Connecticut. It was planes, trains and automobiles for me. Flew to NY, train to CT then drove my new toy back to south Florida just in time for Christmas. This time of year prices in the Northeast are very good compared to the south, south-west or California.

Personally, I would not be too concerned about the salt issue for a Corvette. Most north eastern type cannot drive their cars during the "salty" months. There are always exceptions but typically most guys store their vettes during the winter if they get any appreciable snow in their area.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To buying out of state

Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 PM
vetdaddy
Advanced

Bought my 99 in early 2002. Found it on ebay, flew to conn., drove car to trucking company in new jersey and got it in california 8 days later. There is an emissions sticker on top of the drivers wheel well that describes where the car can be sold.
It should say good in ca. First get a smog test. Then take the car to DMV, they verify that plus the mileage and you register. Pretty easy actually.
I just bought a second car on ebay. 2004 seville from kansas city. No complaints here.
If I can be anymore help let me know.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 PM
pinskiC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by 00hotvette
Down here in Florida vettes are a dime a dozzen I bet you could get your self a good deal here. But I would think if you bought one from the northern states you would get a low mileage vett. 99% of vette owners store there cars in the winter.
That car looks familiar, except you have nice wheels!!!!

Just picked this '99 vert up in Pittsburgh this past weekend

We've already got a set of Z06 wheels ready to be mounted, but don't have the tires just yet, so the wagon wheels will go quickly.

Buying out of state wasn't any sort of problem, you just have to pay all the ttl fees just the same, then they'll send you the title in the mail (unless they have it on hand).

We didn't have any problems in the least, very pleased. Not to mention, the C5 was a dream to drive all the way back to NC from PA
Old 01-31-2005, 11:21 PM
Rgd2424
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I currently live in Washington State and also had no luck finding the right car here and in Oregon. I bought the car I was looking for in Sulphur, OK at Wayne Eidson Chevrolet-Olds-Buick-Pont, Inc. 405-622-2197 ask for Wayne! Great people to work with. Had the car delivered with no mishaps! But if they dont have the car you want here is a web site in Dallas/Houston area:

http://www.corvettesofdallas.com/

Or Austin Texas:

http://www.corvettepalace.com/

Good luck!

Quick Reply: buying out of state