C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Octane boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 02:18 PM
nevadacoin
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Octane boost

Does anyone use octane boost with every gas fillup and if so what type?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:05 PM
vstella
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (nevadacoin)

I can't say I've used octane boost with EVERY fillup but I have used it and it DOES work for me.At least I feel the results of using it.:yesnod:

I use 104 octane boost and it's about $6.00 a 16oz.bottle. I've used it several times just before I take the car to the track.My best runs were with the product.Car felt healty and throttle response was crisp and clean.I don't know that you need to use it every fillup.The instructions tell you that the residual effect klast for several weeks :rolleyes:Who knows. I put it in and drive at least 50-100 miles before the track and it just gets into the system and performs well..Hope that helps!:D
Old 03-22-2002, 03:08 PM
T-Bone98
Melting Slicks

Personally, I don't. I run Mobil 1 Super+ (93 Octane), change my Fuel Filter regularly, and had the Fuel Induction Service done recently and my baby couldn't be running better! Peace. :cool: T-Bone.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:54 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,593 Likes on 785 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (vstella)

If you need/want octane boosters-----

Buy Tolulene and Xylene at Home-Despot and mix your own for about $0.50 per application rather than a name-brand at $6.00 per application.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:05 PM
RajunCajun2001
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (T-Bone98)

T-Bone, nice sig. The hotties complement the vette. :yesnod:

I have used it once...about 50 miles before going to the track. My times didn't reflect an improvement, but it did feel like the car "ran" better. Could have just been me, though.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:30 PM
B. Stewart
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (MitchAlsup)

Buy Tolulene and Xylene at Home-Despot and mix your own for about $0.50 per application rather than a name-brand at $6.00 per application.
How much do you add per tank? :confused:
Old 03-22-2002, 05:42 PM
TrueBlue ChevyDude
Drifting

Location: Brandywine, Chester and Ridley Valleys Pennsylvania

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (B. Stewart)

I know folks that run 10-20% mixtures. 10 gallons of gas and 2 gallons of the t/x blend brings 93 octane pump gas up to about 102 octane (so says a friend with a Turbo Regal). There are formulas which will tell you the octane rating.

The additives sold at auto stores are worthless, IMHO. You're raising octane a couple of TENTHS of an octane point, not a couple of octane points.

Lucky me, the local Sunoco has 100 octane from the pump...
Old 03-22-2002, 09:15 PM
STAGED
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (TrueBlue ChevyDude)

Based on my experience years ago with my nonintercooled A-Trim Vortech'd Trans Am, Super 104+ worked the best. It also kept the chambers clean. Kenne Bell and Lidio at Alternative Auto swear by it too. Based on detonation resistance I say any 93 octane+Super 104+ was a million times better than Sunoco 94, and slightly better than Sunoco 98 GT unleaded. In fact if timing was left stock, my motor would kick back timing at about 5psi. But with the Super 104+, I could run clean and knock-retard free all the way up to 9psi. Of all the performance things to do, Super 104+ (blk bottle) is probably the very few which I swear by as a really good thing.
Old 03-23-2002, 05:35 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (STAGED)

for starters, do not use any booster off the shelf at the parts store that has NAPTHA additive in it (almost every booster on the shelf has this shiit, too). this stuff is NAAASTY. it will coat the entire inside of your chambers, exhaust manifolds on down to O2 sensors and cats with a fine reddish/brown powder. if you dont believe me, try it, then pull a plug and see!!! the manufacturers of this stuff claims the residues will not affect the cats, plugs or sensors. i dont trust it. i strictly use toluene or xylene that i buy in 5 gal drums from a local paint store at ~ $35 (=$7/gal). Toluene has an octane rating of 117, xylene is 116. to figure final octane, use this formula:

(gal of gas x Octane of gas) + (gal of additive x octane of add.)
---------------------------------------------------------------- = final octane
(gal of gas + gal of additive)

so, if you want 100 octane, mix your 92 pump gas 2:1 with xylene (2 gal 92 + 1 gal xylene=100.3 octane).

[Modified by rwj383, 3:38 AM 3/23/2002]
Old 03-23-2002, 06:23 PM
1990bevile
Racer

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (rwj383)

buying all that touline and xylene probably puts u on some fbi list...lol :lol:
Old 03-23-2002, 06:45 PM
The Laplander
Instructor

rwj383...

But if you drive on pure toulene, will you then have 117 octane..or?? :crazy:
If i mix 33 % toulene like you say, will that damage the engine in any way?
No premature ware?
If your formula works, i will never buy expensive additives again..!
Old 03-24-2002, 02:40 AM
aces
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fuel Octane boost (MitchAlsup)

What ratio of T/X to each other do you mix? 50/50?
Then add it to the gas.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:42 AM
intel55
Le Mans Master

Only when I use nitrous at the track and I use toulene or xylene. 5 gallons of 93 and 1 gallon of the T or X. :cheers:

oh yeah also when you fill up with at least 5 gallons this resets your PCM to the "high octane fuel/spark table." The high gives you 28* and the low table (once knock is deteced) gives you only 19*.

[Modified by intel55, 1:45 AM 3/24/2002]
Old 03-24-2002, 09:55 AM
thorin
Racer

listen to RWJ383, he knows what he's talking about. i also want to add that the off-the-shelf boosters add only TENTHS of a point boost, not full points. someone else said that in this thread and it's absolutely true.
i buy 114 leaded juice for my 67 BB but have looked into mixing my own devil juice. i'm going to give RWJ383's formula a try. but be warned, this extra boost is addictive and pretty soon you'll want it all the time. it ain't cheap no matter how you do it and can cause engine damage long-term if your formulas ain't right and/or run too hot. :nono:
Old 03-24-2002, 10:41 AM
abraham
Burning Brakes

interesting thread, I'm going to have to watch this one.
Old 03-24-2002, 11:24 AM
oklahoma
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

My $.02 worth on this topic. My application is a lpe tt stage 1. I have tried a variety of octane boosters on my car. Under perfect conditions it doesn,t require any help. (temp below 50, engine temp below 150, no passengers, a/c off for 5-7 miles ,you get the picture.) Outside of these parameters extra octane elimanates knock retard. Local gas is 93 octane I agree that 104 or nos octane booster with manganese compounds add 2-4 points to the octane rating when used at the max strength off road formula. The manganese is the source of the red color in the exhaust system. I have not had any problems with emissions function with there regular use. On a recent cam update the valve seats showed no signs of unusal erosion or wear. I have recently started mixing vp 103 unleaded with my local 93 octane pump gas at a cost of $4-5 per gallon and have found that 2-4 gallons mixed into a full tank gives full elimanation of knock retard but with a little more power. I believe this is due to the higher aromatic hydrcarbon content (benzene) of the 103 which increases the btu content of the fuel mix and thus power output. Remember I have not seen improved performance with octane boost on STOCK cars so save your money.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:21 AM
Branden Mardis
Intermediate

RWJ383...

I tried the xylene the other day. I had about 3/4 of a tank of gas and added two gallons of xylene. The car ran GREAT. But now...after about a hundred miles my check engine light came on. I stopped and filled up the tank to delude the mix fearing that I may have screwed up something. Do you think the xylene hurt anything. I have been reading and everyone seems to be talking about toluene. Could you let me know if you think I may have messed something up with the mix of xylene? I also had the transmission fluid changed today (an A4)...maybe that's the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Octane boost

Old 03-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 891 Likes on 589 Posts

This weekend I needed to fill up so I decided to try some 100 Octane gas sold at a local station. Man, what a difference. The engine felt smooth and loved WOT runs. The occassional KR I get was gone in all modes of partial and full throttle.

This isn't something I'd do regularly. The 100 Octane is $4/gal. so it would cost a pretty penny to keep feeding it, even if it is just a weekend driver.

But it definitely made a difference. BTW, I tried 104 Octane Boost with no real improvement.

[Modified by Patches, 8:00 AM 3/26/2002]
Old 03-26-2002, 09:49 PM
EBSDallas
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there any reason to use both toluene and xylene at the same time since there's only a one point difference between them; or, should you just use one or the other?

Everett
Old 03-26-2002, 10:29 PM
Superj
Drifting

I've hade my best trap speeds with 104 Octane. I almost had an empty tank and added 5 gallons of 104. Went 112 MPH vs previous best trap of 108. There are a lot of different factors that could have affected that but the higher octane does help on the big end.

One octane booster I have used in the past is RXP. That's my favorite so far. Haven't tried Toulene yet.

Quick Reply: Fuel Octane boost